How Many Compilations Album is There?

Toddola

Proud Member
* A Collection Of Michael Jackson's Oldies (1972)
* The Best of Michael Jackson (1975)
* One Day in Your Life (1981)
* Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5 (1983)
* Ain't No Sunshine (1984)
* The Great Love Songs of Michael Jackson (1984)
* Anthology (Michael Jackson) (1986)
* The Michael Jackson Mix (1987)
* The Original Soul of Michael Jackson (1987)
* Five Remixes of the Track "Bad" (1991)
* Dangerous Remix (1993)
* Rockin' Robin (1993)
* Anthology: The Best of Michael Jackson (1995)
* HIStory (1995)
* Michael Jackson Story (1996)
* Master Series (1997)
* The Best of Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5ive (1997)
* Very Best of Michael Jackson (IMS) (1999)
* 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Michael Jackson (2000)
* Universal Masters Collection (2001)
* Greatest Hits: HIStory, Vol. 1 (2001)
* Very Best of Michael Jackson (Universal) (2002)
* Number Ones (2003)
* Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection (2004)
* The Essential Michael Jackson (2005)
* Visionary: The Video Singles (2006)
* Colour Collection (2007)
* The Silver Spectrum Collection (2007)
* The Instrumental Hits of Michael Jackson (2007)
* Silver Collection (2007)
* Celebrating 25 Years of Thriller (2008)
* King of Pop (2008)
* The Collection(2009)
* The Hits(2009)

34 in total. Is this all?

This has to be a world record?

MJ has a hits collection?????????? wow, next u will be telling me elvis is dead!

Its strange to see them all listed , really is depressing

This is only the beginning. Sony actually have a "3 Year Plan" to re-release all of Michael's albums atleast once each again, starting with "The Collection".

So brace yourselves!

This isn't a compilation. It's not even an official set. It's just some unofficial biography album

He's had more hit collections than hits at this point. It amazes me how many times you can repackage the same songs over and over again and some people will still buy them.

Some of these I never heard of... hmmmmmmmm. BTW, I stopped collecting hits CD's since the Ultimate Collection came out, I thought it was getting ridiculous.. lol

Oh dear :lol:

I'm sure Michael wouldn't want this!! :(

the same amount as any other artist whos been around as long as mj and has such a big back cat

I know Elvis has had at least 247 compilation albums
Yes but he is dead. Its a little bit different.

MJ has 10 solo albums and 34 compilations albums. I for one think its to many. Especially because its 8 years since the last album, and we are waiting for some new stuff:)

Some of these I never heard of... hmmmmmmmm. BTW, I stopped collecting hits CD's since the Ultimate Collection came out, I thought it was getting ridiculous.. lol

me 2 after the ultimate collection i was done!!!!!!!!!!
who wants to keep buying the same songs over and over again!!!!!!!!!!!
nooooo way!!!!!!!!!!!

the same cds have the same songs

but the best complation cds were number 1s and
utlimate collection only because of the new songs!!!!!!

* A Collection Of Michael Jackson's Oldies (1972)
* The Best of Michael Jackson (1975)
* One Day in Your Life (1981)
* Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5 (1983)
* Ain't No Sunshine (1984)
* The Great Love Songs of Michael Jackson (1984)
* Anthology (Michael Jackson) (1986)
* The Michael Jackson Mix (1987)
* The Original Soul of Michael Jackson (1987)
* Five Remixes of the Track "Bad" (1991)
* Dangerous Remix (1993)
* Rockin' Robin (1993)
* Anthology: The Best of Michael Jackson (1995)
* HIStory (1995)
* Michael Jackson Story (1996)
* Master Series (1997)
* The Best of Michael Jackson & The Jackson 5ive (1997)
* Very Best of Michael Jackson (IMS) (1999)
* 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Michael Jackson (2000)
* Universal Masters Collection (2001)
* Greatest Hits: HIStory, Vol. 1 (2001)
* Very Best of Michael Jackson (Universal) (2002)
* Number Ones (2003)
* Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection (2004)
* The Essential Michael Jackson (2005)
* Visionary: The Video Singles (2006)
* Colour Collection (2007)
* The Silver Spectrum Collection (2007)
* The Instrumental Hits of Michael Jackson (2007)
* Silver Collection (2007)
* King of Pop (2008)
* The Collection(2009)
* The Hits(2009)

34 in total. Is this all?

This has to be a world record?
On that list, you're missing The Essential Michael Jackson 3.0.

Geez, that list really is ridiculous! :lol: Strange to see them like that. I gave up after TUC too lol. Actually, the last one I bought was Essential I think...can't even remember lol.

That's it? lol I thought there were more. Whatever the number, there are too many MJ Greatest hits on the market. He has more greatest hits albums than actual full length studio albums with new music. Shame really.

That's it? lol I thought there were more. Whatever the number, there are too many MJ Greatest hits on the market. He has more greatest hits albums than actual full length studio albums with new music. Shame really.

Yeah, especially when we know there could be soooo many more!! I just hope one day we get the unreleased stuff from the albums, that would be amazing!

so many its just plain sad!

the latest album "the hits" is just a slap in the face of every MJ fan!!

Actually the thread's title question can be aswered very simple: WAYY TOOO MANY !!!!

Actually that's not even so much because you have to compare it to the sales. Like one collection for the each record sold. So if you sell one record let's say 10 million copies, it 'produces' at least one collection then or later for sure. And it's 'at least' because if you have worked with different companies or groups, it usually doubles or triples (or even more) possible collections. I don't know how much you have to sell but I think probably every ten million copies that is. So let's say Michael releases an album that sells 10 million copies plus its singles 10 million copies it technically produces at least six compilations (3 times 2)and someone will buy them. Then when it gets to the point that that the compilation plus all the rest old records including compilations sell together 10 million copies, it's like 3 compilations more to buy again. So if Michael had done only solo with Sony, it wouldn't be that many compilations, but all the old stuff times it.

As long as people do relaise it's Universal/Motown & Sony that do these, and not Michael. Am sure that he has no diea about half of them and would do something about them if he could.

Anyways I don't know about 'The Collection' 2009? Is that a Uni/Motown one?

Also I have another from 1992 called 'Michael Jackson - Motown's Greatest Hits.' Almost the same tracklisting as 1997's 'The very best of MJ & The Jackson 5' album. It has a Bad tour pic on the cover of Michael wearing a red outfit mid song... typical of Universal/Motown in the 80's and 90's using current photos to sell compilations.

For some reason i've found all the other Sony compilations tolerable until 'The Hits'... but now they're getting as bad a Motown were. As it'll be LESS than a year between compilations! At least they used to give us a couple of years before they slap collectors in the face again lol.

Lv x

I don't thinks it's an issue. Yes we would all like a NEW material album, but hey Mikey has had a few things on his plate over the last decade, namely RAISING 3 KIDS! And if he didnt' wanna release anything new, his decision!

Yeah, Elvis has a number of greatest hits collections out there, check out Dolly Partons too. Michael has outsold everyone. It is FAR BETTER for his music to have these collections constantly released than NOTHING, (hello New Kids on the Block, heard them played on a radio lately? Every in the last 10 years, and yes, no comparrison really, but they were HUGE).

The more collections of Michael's work out there the better, it keeps his music alive and people buy them, perhaps for the first time. We fans - well NO ONE is holding a gun to our heads to buy it, so if you dont want it, don't buy it, and don't complain about it.

And yet to come: OTW 30.

Doesnt count, this isnt a compilation. Its just like T25.

And half of those arent even official.

Also missing is:

The Essential Collection 3.0
Motown 50
Michael Jackson & Jackson 5 - The Motown Years (3 CD - 2009)
t7ncdf.jpg

Last edited:
Back