How do you help someone who suffers from depression?

Darvon1982

Proud Member
Hello everyone.

I have a friend who is 21 yrs old, male. Their father died in 2007 from Lung Cancer. They live with their widowed mom, and no one else lives there. Sometimes they can't get along, and he has figured out that she doesn't want him to be independant. For when he DID get a job, she sord of made it hard for him. He was going through depression then as well. He was finally out of depression for about 2 or 3 months, but now I think he's gone back. :( His mother drives him crazy sometimes, because she won't do things he'd like her to do, things like, wash his clothes, cuz he barely has any... or get healthy things to eat, because he wants to eat healthy.. and.. well some of you would say, tell him to get a job.... Well, thing with that is, I doubt he would survive in the job because his depression just brings him down so much. I also think he's losing faith in God again, and he was once athiest. Nothing against atheism, I just.... I'm so worried for him. I want to help him as much as I can, because I've gone through depression at the same time as he before, and I don't want to be depressed again. Depression is so so hard. He's also afraid of getting old. He has this fear of it.

Any suggestions?... And if you please could, please pray for "Steven". That's his name.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I know just how hard depression is. There are plenty of websites that will give you useful tips on how to handle depression and help someone that is suffering from it. I suggest doing a search for some of them because they can help a lot. And let your friend know that he is never alone and that you're there for him and his mom whenever they need any help.

Back