"Hotel" in HH and Smooth criminal

Dudex

Proud Member
I want to know answer on these things
1. Before Smooth criminal there is a voice, what did it saying?
2. Who saying that text before Smooth criminal and HH?
3. What red text "Hotel" about? (i remember it was in Billie Jean clip)
Thanks

1.Let me search
2.I think it's a recording.
3.Hotel...maybe from Heartbreak Hotel?

As I drifted down Bleeker Street. Past shop windows, Barred against the perils of the night. Up ahead, A neon sign emerged from the fog. The letters glowed red hot. In that way I knew so well, Branding a message into my mind, A single word Hotel

It was initially for the opening of Heartbreak hotel on Bad Tour 87, it worked well, it may well have been written for the intro to the album version, it fits very well at the beginning as a kinda prelude, but it was later added to Smooth Criminal, becuase I think Michael liked the Curtain opening and suspense :)

Last edited:
I've always liked that little intro.

This is the very first line:

My footsteps broke the silence of the pre-dawn hours,

BTW, it's spelled Bleaker.

That's a street in New York City. Fun fact! ;)

As far as who was saying that little verse, it sounds like the Bad Tour backup singers (Kevin Dorsey, Darryl Phinnessee, Dorian Holley and Sheryl Crow) pre recorded it before the tour began and then the playback was used from then on through the Dangerous Tour.

As I drifted down Bleaker Streat
Past shop windows,
Barred against the perils of the night.
Up ahead,
A neon sign emerged from the fog.
The letters glowed red hot
In that way I knew so well,
Branding a message into my mind,
A single word,
Hotel

Not everyone that replies has to put up the lyrics you know, lol.

As said above, it was used as the into during the Bad tour and in my opinion, it was used for Smooth Criminal becuase people would automatically assume it was HH again and then he busts into SC. Thats how I felt anyway.

Regarding the Hotel sign in Billie Jean and on stage, I think they may refer to the type of girls or incident that is being described in BJ and HH.

As I drifted down Bleaker Streat
Past shop windows,
Barred against the perils of the night.
Up ahead,
A neon sign emerged from the fog.
The letters glowed red hot
In that way I knew so well,
Branding a message into my mind,
A single word,
Hotel
I really like that for some reason. Gives a nice mental picture.... scaaaarry! lol

I love that intro. I've always enjoyed watching HH performances.
:yes:...:wub:

That's a street in New York City. Fun fact! ;)

As far as who was saying that little verse, it sounds like the Bad Tour backup singers (Kevin Dorsey, Darryl Phinnessee, Dorian Holley and Sheryl Crow) pre recorded it before the tour began and then the playback was used from then on through the Dangerous Tour.

Thanks for sharing. I always wondered where the street is.
Do you guys think that the narration is written by Michael and he got inspired when he lived in NY? When did he live in the city? In the 70's?

Back