Hold My Hand to be on both MJ's and Akon's albums

eternitys_child

Proud Member
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003824224

Michael Jackson Cameo Shocks Akon Songwriter
Akon

July 03, 2008 , 10:25 AM ET

Mariel Concepcion, N.Y.
Up-and-coming singer/songwriter Claude Kelly wrote the recently leaked Akon song "Hold My Hand" featuring Michael Jackson, but he confesses hearing the legendary singer's voice on the track the first time was a total surprise to him.

"I wrote the song and gave it to Akon with the intention of it going to maybe Whitney Houston, but Akon said he wanted to cut it himself. I thought, 'It doesn't get any bigger than this'," the 27-year-old New York native tells Billboard.com. "A few months after, Akon plays the song for me and all of a sudden I hear Michael Jackson's voice. I was literally shaking by the time the song was over."

The track, which is in contention to be the first single from Akon's new album, due late this year, has since been pulled off the Internet. As per when an actual Michael Jackson album will be released, Kelly says a date hasn't been set yet. What has been confirmed, as per Kelly's manager Michael "Make" Mentore from Star Power Media/Make Moves Management, is that the track will appear on both Akon and Jackson's albums.

Since penning the collaborative track, Kelly has been tapped to work not only with Akon and Whitney Houston but also with Jennifer Hudson, Frankie J, Brandy, New Kids On The Block, Toni Braxton, recent Def Jam signee Unique and Leona Lewis, including the latter's second single, "Forgive Me," which will be released in the coming weeks. He also wrote the entire debut solo album for Corbin Bleu from "High School Musical" fame.

As a child, Kelly took piano and flute lessons and sang with local choirs. He attended Brooklyn College of Music in 1999, and in 2002 wrote his first song, which was placed in a Bathing Ape compilation released in Japan. His first major placement came with "Daddy's Little Girl" from Frankie J's 2006 album "Priceless."

In the future, Kelly says he hopes to work with the likes of Beyonce, Rihanna, Usher, Chris Brown and Kelly Clarkson, among others. He also plans on delving into country and rock music as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ that's probably why she made a new thread for it, so people would know lol

does mj even know whats gonna be on his album yet? lol. i presume mjs need the permission of the songwriter to use the song on his album and if its true thats why the manager knows?

This as already been posted in the thread that has like 100- and odd pages lol
:)

Thanks. Sorry about that. It looked like it just hit the web a second ago.

Mods please remove if you think it should be.

And of course I read the other thread... just not all 30 kazillion posts of it.

Last edited:
^^ that's probably why she made a new thread for it, so people would know lol

I didn't know it was in the other thread but yes, I didn't put it there because either way I didn't think it should be buried. It is actually some new GOOD info.

By the way... I am just loving all of this and have been playing Hold My Hand non stop (yes, I am bad, I managed to get the better quality version it before it was pulled.). MJ doesn't have to worry. It does not get old... only better.

maybe it will appear on both albums so both artists are equally credited for the song and both get chart credit? who knows.

maybe it will appear on both albums so both artists are equally credited for the song and both get chart credit? who knows.

Does that work? Can they do that? That is very clever.

Trish always said Billboard is legit so I am taking this seriously.

Maybe this was part of the legal stuff that had to be handled.

i hope this aint from mikes new album. whats been leaked is all akon, mj parts are great but not enough of him. if there's an mj version, on mjs album it will feel old, copied, unoriginal and not mind blowing. to be honest although the beat is great i would expect better for an MJ album.

But if this is the real case, what is the possibility for Michael to release Hold My Hand in his album since it has been leaked? Remember the fate of Xscape? Michael probably has changed the album track listing by now.

*Above is just my speculation. Thank you.

Last edited:
"A few months after, Akon plays the song for me and all of a sudden I hear Michael Jackson's voice. I was literally shaking by the time the song was over."

:D

Last edited:
Isn't Mike mainly singing in alto?

I am not musically 'educated' enought to say if it is alto but he is singing in a high register. It is what people have sometimes referred to as his more youthfull voice. WBSS pointed out to us that Michael was still capable of reaching this range but had now just added to his lower range as well.

This is another reason I love this song. It is demonstrating that Michael can still hit those higher notes without stain. Certainly he is making it sound easy. I think even one of the articles mentioned the ease in his vocals.

It would be very rare, strange choice to include "HMH" song both to Jackson and Akon's new albums, the probability of that is low despite what "Billboard" interview tells.

Most probably, the song will be part of Akon's album and that is it.

Oh man, that's so great.. So is it a solo version on Michael's album? I'm starting to want to know when Michael's album is gonna be out!!! :lol: When they will tell about the release date?

Re: [TOPIC OF THE DAY]Hold My Hand to be on both MJ's and Akon's albums

i love this song!thats a good news to have it on mj's album too,and thats bad,that this song has leaked:sad:

Re: [TOPIC OF THE DAY]Hold My Hand to be on both MJ's and Akon's albums

I don't think Mike would put this on his album... The closest to it is a BONUS track on a special edition version a couple months after it's released..

People do that all the time now days.. put a collaboration they did for someone else on there album later, to boost sales.

I am not musically 'educated' enought to say if it is alto but he is singing in a high register. It is what people have sometimes referred to as his more youthfull voice. WBSS pointed out to us that Michael was still capable of reaching this range but had now just added to his lower range as well.

This is another reason I love this song. It is demonstrating that Michael can still hit those higher notes without stain. Certainly he is making it sound easy. I think even one of the articles mentioned the ease in his vocals.

Michael's singing using his head register I believe. He can still sing extremely high. People don't seem to realize that he hasn't lost that capability at all. He hasn't lost his range at all. He's in his prime.

Back