"HOLD MY HAND" - Claimed by SONY/ATV

sherlock.gif
thanks for informing us.

edit: actually it seems many of Akon's tunes are already published by Sony/ATV as Akon himself is signed on there.

(from a year ago):

Michael Jackson, Sony Acquire Famous Music; Includes Music From Eminem, Akon, Others

pixel.gif
Published: Thursday - May 31, 2007
Words by Allen Starbury
pixel.gif

logo-viacom.jpg
Viacom
Photo: Viacom
Viacom Inc. announced Wednesday (May 30) that a deal is in the works that would sell its Famous Music publishing unit to Sony/ATV Music Publishing, which is owned in part by pop singer Michael Jackson.

According to Reuters, the deal is reportedly worth in upwards of $370 million, and includes a catalog of music from artists such as Eminem and Shakira, as well as songs from movie soundtracks including "The Godfather" and "Mission: Impossible."

The company's current roster of songwriters include Akon, Shakira, Busta Rhymes, Eminem, Nappy Roots, Linda Perry, Fred Jerkins III, 7Aurelius and others.

"This is a milestone event for Sony/ATV Music Publishing," Michael Jackson said in a statement. "The diverse collection of songs in this catalogue range from timeless classics to contemporary hits, and I am pleased to add the acquisition of Famous Music to Sony/ATV."

As part of the deal, Sony/ATV will enter into the production music side of the business through the Famous Extreme division.

Sony/ATV's catalog already includes songs by The Beatles, Neil Diamond, Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix, making it the fourth-largest music publisher.

"We're in the hunt for great artists and people to build the team," said recently appointed Sony/ATV Chief Executive Martin Bandier in an interview with Reuters.

"This deal announces that we're in the game. Our strategy is to become one of the more meaningful players in the publishing business," he added.

Publishing has become one of the most profitable parts of the music biz in recent years, as other parts -- such as actual album sales -- has been on the decline due to piracy.

Publishing is less vulnerable to piracy and retail, due to its revenue coming from the licensing of songs to television, advertising, radio and live performances.

Other major music companies such as Warner Music Group and Sony BMG Music Entertainment have expressed interest in also expanding their publishing catalog.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it means much- if Akon is already a Sony / ATV artist or someone else who co-wrote the song is, then that would be logical.

Michael's own music is tied up in his own MiJac catalog. :yes:

Even if it didn't include MJ on the track, it's still interesting and I'd be very keen to hear the final cut.

It's been stated that MJ's already recorded his part for the song, but whether or not he wants to be on the single is another thing, which I reckon we will find out in the coming months.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be one of Akon's leading singles off his next album :)

Anyway, I'm sure it will be one of Akon's leading singles off his next album :)
it's really popular around the net. YT ratings, views and comments are impressive - and blogs are raving about it.

i like it, and i'd really like to hear Michael's vocals on there.

thanx 4 posting this. does any1 know when akons album is being released?

Didn't Akon already release the first single off of his new album?

I keep hearing this sond on the radio called Dangerous about a dangerous girl and I swear Akon is singing the lead.

Didn't Akon already release the first single off of his new album?

I keep hearing this sond on the radio called Dangerous about a dangerous girl and I swear Akon is singing the lead.

Yes, Akon is featured in that song called 'Dangerous', by Kardinal Offishal. So it's not on Akons' album, but Kardinals'.

When I saw this message I had the impression that the single will be released. The same happened with WBSS2008!
The reproduction of music was stopped and immediately after the CD Thriller 25 was launched. I believe that we soon Michael Jackson and Akon singing this song!

When I saw this message I had the impression that the single will be released. The same happened with WBSS2008!
The reproduction of music was stopped and immediately after the CD Thriller 25 was launched. I believe that we soon Michael Jackson and Akon singing this song!

Thank you for that. I read this thread before and had the sense of something important buit didn't have a clue why. lol

Last edited:
Back