'Hold My Hand' by Michael & Akon is Nominated for 'Record of the Year' for Soul Train Award 2011!

MsCassieMollie

Proud Member
Congrats!!!

Tho I don't think it would win 'cause the other nominees are strong but hopefully I'm wrong tho. :)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1672938/soul-train-awards-nominations.jhtml

The show tapes November 17 in Atlanta and will premiere on CENTRIC and BET on November 27. Cedric "The Entertainer" has been tapped to host, and Jill Scott, Mindless Behavior, Robin Thicke, Lloyd, Miguel, Melanie Fiona and Keith Sweat will be among the performers taking the stage.
Record of the Year (The Ashford & Simpson Songwriter's Award)
» "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
» "Far Away" - Marsha Ambrosius
» "Best Thing I Never Had" - Beyoncé
» "Good Man" - Raphael Saddiq
» "Hold My Hand" (duet with Akon) - Michael Jackson

Re: 'Hold by Hand' by Michael & Akon is Nominated for 'Record of the Year' for Soul Train Award 2011

I love Hold my Hand, i hope it wins :) Go Mike and Akon

Re: 'Hold by Hand' by Michael & Akon is Nominated for 'Record of the Year' for Soul Train Award 2011

It would be great if Michael won, but I have a feeling Adele will win, or even Beyonce.

Re: 'Hold My Hand' by Michael & Akon is Nominated for 'Record of the Year' for Soul Train Award 2011

Great! I think Hold My Hand has good chances to win.

Re: 'Hold My Hand' by Michael & Akon is Nominated for 'Record of the Year' for Soul Train Award 2011

I mean the song really has a message. Im hoping it wins....

I'll be rooting for MJ & Akon.
Love Soul Train. Good times.....

I really like Good Man by Raphael Saddiq and Gwen Stefani but it's not
strong enough for Record of the Year.
It's also good to see Marsha Ambrosius, of Floetry and former MJ collaborator up
for the award. They play her song so much, I wouldn't be surprised if she won it.

Thanks for posting. :)

Last edited:

Love this song, hope it wins.

Hope it wins I love Hold My Hand and "Michael"

That's nice to hear.

I am not being racist but why is Adele being nominated for an award? Isn't Soul Train Music Awards for coloured artists only?

I can't believe you actually said, "coloured".

I think Beyonce will take this one but it's nice to be nominated.

Nice to see that Michael is nominated but I think Adele or Beyonce will be first.

I can't believe you actually said, "coloured".

I am sorry if I offended you. That was not my intention but I just wanna know why she is nominated.

That's great! Hope MJ wins! But I think Adele will win.

I am not being racist but why is Adele being nominated for an award? Isn't Soul Train Music Awards for coloured artists only?
Soul Train Music Award primarily honors R&B music. R&B (rhythm and blues) is musical genre that grew out of the culture of African Americans so many people call R&B music as Black music. Actually in the past official Billboard R&B songs and albums charts were called Black music charts.
Vast majority of R&B artists are/were black musicians, African Americans, however, there are a lot of caucasians who are/were doing R&B music (for example Robin Thicke, Jon B., George Michael with Faith album etc.) and of course the requirement for the Soul Train Music Award is NOT a skin color. Only for example, one of the most successful instrumental musicians ever Kenny G won a few Soul Train Music Awards for best Jazz album and he is white, Robin Thicke also won an award, Eminem also etc...

Last edited:

DEAD. DEAD. DEAD.

I can't believe you wrote "colored"...but it's ok, We know you didn't write it be mean. It's unusual nowadays...but we get what you meant.meant.

Soul Train Music Award primarily honors R&B music. R&B (rhythm and blues) is musical genre that grew out of the culture of African Americans so many people call R&B music as Black music. Actually in the past official Billboard R&B songs and albums charts were called Black music charts.
Vast majority of R&B artists are/were black musicians, African Americans, however, there are a lot of caucasians who are/were doing R&B music (for example Robin Thicke, Jon B., George Michael with Faith album etc.) and of course the requirement for the Soul Train Music Award is NOT a skin color. Only for example, one of the most successful instrumental musicians ever Kenny G won a few Soul Train Music Awards for best Jazz album and he is white, Robin Thicke also won an award, Eminem also etc...

Thanks. :)

DEAD. DEAD. DEAD.

I can't believe you wrote "colored"...but it's ok, We know you didn't write it be mean. It's unusual nowadays...but we get what you meant.meant.

Thank you for understanding me. :)

Last edited:

If Michael doesn't win then it should go to Adele.

Akon & MJ will win! Hold My Hand is stronger than the other four nominated tracks put together!

Hope it is :D Would be great, it's a great song.

you mean black artists only?

music sees no colour, don't you know that?

Black is a color LOL

Artistically, I've always been told that black was an absence of color, though when painting when mixing all the colors I've never been able to get 'white'... :p :innocent:

But HEY MJ's gonna win this!!! :)

MJ didn't win :(

Marsha Ambrosius won for “Far Away”.

Marsha actually wrote 'Butterflies for Michael and did the background vocals with him.

She also said some nice things about Michael:
http://music.yahoo.com/michael-jack...025-songwriter-gets-the-butterflies--12063973
The song was co-written by Marsha Ambrosius, one half of the London bred neo-soul act Floetry, which also includes Natalie Stewart. Stewart was surprised that Jackson invited them to the studio, and asked for their input on the recording of the song. "It was incredible because he asked, he continually, asked, 'Marsh, what's the next harmony? Girls, does this sound right? What do you think? Is this what you were looking for? He was so open," Stewart told LAUNCH.

It took Ambrosius a few minutes to calm down. "To begin with, I was kinda shook," Ambrosius told LAUNCH. "Because you don't realize how you're going to feel until you're put in that kind of situation. I had the tears in my eyes and got kinda nervous. But as I got into it, I realized it was work, it was a job. I had to vocally conduct a legend."
http://www.rap-up.com/2011/02/04/ma...ers-michael-jackson-i-was-his-singing-heifer/
The former Floetry member played a pivotal role in the song’s evolution, but she was just happy to be part of the process. “The original record I produced and wrote myself,” Marsha tells Rap-Up.com. “Andre Harris co-produced it with me. I worked with Michael Jackson on the record here in New York in March 2001. Wow, it’s 10 years later and my album is going to be out. I just did the math on that. It’s crazy.”

As a sign of appreciation to the late pop icon, Marsha offers a remixed version of “Butterflies” on her debut solo LP, Late Nights & Early Mornings. The 33-year-old is grateful for the memories, even years later.

“Getting the opportunity to work with the best who ever did it, on planet Earth, period, is just a blessing,” she shares. “For me, it was just paying my respects. For those who don’t know, I’ve worked with him, but I knew him outside of music. I knew him as a father, as a friend. It was me paying my respects back to him and just thanking him for doing something for me so early in my career I never expected. When I came in the industry at such an early age—for me, 20, 21—it was way early to take on as a businesswoman and having Michael Jackson be one of the first artists that you work with as a producer and a writer, I just think that’s a blessing.”

Though the public knew Jackson for being reserved and soft-spoken in interviews, behind studio doors he was anything but. “Michael Jackson was a practical joker,” reveals Marsha. “He was just funny. And his laugh just made you laugh. When we were in the studio, his engineer kept calling me a singing heifer. And [Michael] would tell the engineer, ‘You know a heifer is a cow, that’s a cow.’ I’ll never forget that. So I’ll always be Michael Jackson’s singing heifer.”
images

That's a shame. :( I dont know Marsha's song, but HMH is amazingly beautiful, both lyrically and musically.

Back