HIStory Album - the first album I was hooked on!

comeback2009

Proud Member
In 1995 I first listened to the HIStory album Disc 2. I can remember going to buy the album at Woolworths where they had a HIStory stand - none-the-less! The whole package was amazing and I remember looking at the Gold Discs. I had listened to all MJs other albums (on record -mainly from my sister) but HIStory just echoed in my head. At the time I knew nothing of MJ (apart from his previous albums obviously) - I didn't know of the BAD tour, or all the hype. I didn't know about the Dangerous Album or all the videos that came with that Album. All I knew is that MJ's music was addictive. To this day I can remember listening to Stranger In Moscow for the first time. The BASS LICK just repeated itself in my head. I can remember not being able to sleep because of the power of MJs music and the simple but clear melodies (at the time I was into www.jamiroqua.co.uk (have a look - respect) and acid Jazz! - great stuff but not as good as a genius!). Tabloid Junkie - well that was wow - and as for TDCAU -awesome. I first watched the TDCA video in Belgium where I was on tour (rowing). I thought this is a bit amateur. Done very quickly. But as I returned home I could see how brilliant the concept was. Invincible the Album that followed in 2001 never did that for me. It was not the fact by this point that I knew MJs music and HIStory - Invincible just seemed so detached compared to HIStory. The master that is HIStory never needed Disc 1 (the best of!)

I am just interested in what you guys think. HIStory for me was all about MJ being in control. Invincible for me was just MJ earning some cash. I don't mean this negatively but apart from Speechless and Whatever Happens I feel he had limited control.

Be Happy :)
Comeback2008

Sam

HIStory was my first MJ album, my mum bought it in 95 as she was a fan then. when i became a fan at the age of 9 in 2000, she gave it to me (she started believing the crap in the papers and so didnt like him any more), i listened to disc 1 the most at first because i just became a fan after watching a documentary, i loved the Bad video, and the song became my 1st favourite (i remember having it on replay for hours lol)

when i eventually listened to disc 2 i loved it! i think TDCAU was one of my favourites along with tabloid junkie. i remember not really liking Stranger in Moscow at first - i mean i was 9 and really into faster music, it was just too slow for me, however now i love it and its one of my favourite songs (dont know what i must have been thinking lol)

However i disagree with you on Invincible, i love that album too, it was the first one I Bought. my favourites songs on there are Dont Walk Away and Speechless, but YRMW and Unbreakable, Invincible, 2000 Watts are great for dancing, there are some awesome beats in there. so yeah i think Invincible is brilliant, but thats me

HIStory was the first album I was bought, couldn't get enough of it.

Same as you Lauren all I listened to was the 1st CD, then eventually a couple of years down the line I began to listen to the second CD.

Ive been a fan since i was 2..but it wast until i turned 5 when i got my 1st Mj Album of my own..and it was HISTORY...i listened to the 1st disc, over and ver, about a few hours later i popped n disc 2...and thats when i fell in love with Stranger in Moscow...after man in the mirror nothing gets better than Sim

while history isnt my number 1 fave (numba 1 belongs to dangerous) it is def 1 of his best and i cant stop listenin 2it

Last edited:
The first album I bought was HIStory as well! :yes:

And still remains as my favorite album along with Dangerous :)

History is cool, but as a whole it doesn't have that flow like older albums. I think it would have been better if 3 or 4 of the songs were left off. Starting with Dangerous, he just tries to fill the CD space, which can hold more material than older formats like vinyl, cassettes, or 8 tracks. Longer doesn't mean better. This was common with a lot of acts in the early 90s (and now). In the 70s and 80s, on average an album lasted 40-50 minutes. In the 60s, it was around 30-35 minutes. Now it's an hour and 20 minutes.

lol HIStory's the first album I bought too for myself, with MY OWN MONEY! :lol:

I already had Dangerous which was a gift from my dad, but I can't describe the feeling when I bought HIStory, I mean opening it and going through the booklet...amazing feeling, took it to school and bragged about it to all my friends lol.

I didn't liked SIM at first, thought it was boring ^_^, got hooked on Scream, YANA, and for some reason D.S. even though I had no idea what it was really about.

To this day, that first copy of HIStory I got (I've bought two more since), remains my most prized MJ possetion, it holds a huge sentimental value.

Last edited:
History is cool, but as a whole it doesn't have that flow like older albums. I think it would have been better if 3 or 4 of the songs were left off. Starting with Dangerous, he just tries to fill the CD space, which can hold more material than older formats like vinyl, cassettes, or 8 tracks. Longer doesn't mean better. This was common with a lot of acts in the early 90s (and now). In the 70s and 80s, on average an album lasted 40-50 minutes. In the 60s, it was around 30-35 minutes. Now it's an hour and 20 minutes.

Dangerous does not have fillers...well she drives me wild i wud consider a filler but thats it. And history contains NO fillers. Those were all personal tracks, and where mike was @ a place n his life. And mike dont try and fill space he is not a "filler artist" he puts trcks that are all hit singles in his mind on his albums. Aint no space 4 fillers lol

:busted: the blasphemy!!! :lol:

The only 'filler' in Dangerous is IMO Can't Let her Get Away.

But isn't this supposed to be about HIStory? :unsure:

Dangerous does not have fillers...well she drives me wild i wud consider a filler but thats it. And history contains NO fillers. Those were all personal tracks, and where mike was @ a place n his life. And mike dont try and fill space he is not a "filler artist" he puts trcks that are all hit singles in his mind on his albums. Aint no space 4 fillers lol
What's personal about Come Together & Smile, which are remakes? In the case of Come Together, it was an unused track recorded for the Bad album and previously released in the Moonwalker film and the Japanese tour set. I didn't say Dangerous had fillers, but that he started to fill the 80 minutes, when previous albums were released for vinyl which were shorter. Dangerous is fine. I did say some songs could have been left off of HIStory, as it doesn't have the flow of the previous albums which would include Dangerous.

What's personal about Come Together & Smile, which are remakes? In the case of Come Together, it was an unused track recorded for the Bad album and previously released in the Moonwalker film and the Japanese tour set. I didn't say Dangerous had fillers, but that he started to fill the 80 minutes, when previous albums were released for vinyl which were shorter. Dangerous is fine. I did say some songs could have been left off of HIStory, as it doesn't have the flow of the previous albums which would include Dangerous.

Well maybe u could consider come 2gether a filler since it was recorded back in the 80s but smile is def no filler, just cuz its a remake doesnt mean its a filler. and u sed he started with dangerous. soooooooooooo yea lol

Last edited:
Back