HIStory 30th Anniversary

Hot_Street

Proud Member
Michael Jackson’s History Album Given Outstanding Review in 1995
June 17, 2024
Michael’s two-disc collection “HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I” was released this week in 1995. Los Angeles Daily News writer Fred Shuster called the second disc “outstanding”. He picked some of his favorite songs from the set, writing that: “’Stranger in Moscow’ is a lush gorgeous minor key ballad with one of the album’s catchiest choruses. ‘This Time Around, ‘Money’ and ‘D.S.’ are superb slices of organic funk.” https://www.michaeljackson.com/news/michael-jacksons-history-album-given-outstanding-review-in-1995/

Last edited:
One has to be skeptical about this very positive 1995 review of the second disc of the 'HIStory' album.

Especially, when this music critic praises some of the weakest songs from the second disc ('This Time Around', 'Money', 'D.S.').

It is not uncommon at all for music critics to be bribed by the record labels in order to write very positive reviews for newly-released albums of their artists.

Especially, when this music critic praises some of the weakest songs from the second disc ('This Time Around', 'Money', 'D.S.').
Didn't read the link, but to be honest, a lot of people don't know what songs to like on a new album, until they're told what to like.

In 2001 I remember asking MJ fans what was their favourite song from Invincible. More than once, I was told "I'm not sure - let's wait to see what ones are released as singles". Wtf.

History tour Munich 4k, is it happening next year?
I hope not. Who want's to see MJ lip synching an entire show . Great setlist however. Though we did not get Dangerous 25 , so we are even less likely to get History 30

At least we got Bad 25, which is probably the best thing the estate has ever put out. We never got Dangerous 25 or HIStory 25.
Indeed... I'm still a bit salty over the lack of Dangerous 25. They put out a t-shirt and that was it lol.

History 25 would likely have happened if not for the pandemic.

If they had found the film or even the Umatic Master for Wembley, left the multitracks untouched, Bad 25 would have been the ultimate posthumous release. I doubt we will get anything close to that again.

The only MJ albums that seem to resonate with the general public are Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad.

Dangerous still gets love from fans of 90s R&B and New jack swing, but apparently, it's not enough to warrant another rerelease. The album's legacy was definitely damaged by the 1993 scandal. Still, with all the pointless releases the estate made like Immortal remix album and the Scream compilation, a Dangerous rerelease couldn't have hurt. At least before Leaving Neverland came out in 2019.

If they had found the film or even the Umatic Master for Wembley, left the multitracks untouched, Bad 25 would have been the ultimate posthumous release. I doubt we will get anything close to that again.
Dang that is depressing, no more pro Bad tour releases? Breaks my heart. Why can't they release a boxset with a bunch of pro Bad tour concerts for all the hardcore fans? So disappointing.

Last edited:
The only MJ albums that seem to resonate with the general public are Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad.

Dangerous still gets love from fans of 90s R&B and New jack swing, but apparently, it's not enough to warrant another rerelease. The album's legacy was definitely damaged by the 1993 scandal. Still, with all the pointless releases the estate made like Immortal remix album and the Scream compilation, a Dangerous rerelease couldn't have hurt. At least before Leaving Neverland came out in 2019.
All his subsequent studio albums have been damaged by the 1993 scandal.

Any anniversary re-release of these albums would reignite the 1993 scandal in people's mind.

Dang that is depressing, no more pro Bad tour releases? Breaks my heart. Why can't they release a boxset with a bunch of pro Bad tour concerts for all the hardcore fans? So disappointing.
"Audio isn't good enough." As much as a collectors label would be perfect for us die hards, I doubt it will ever happen with the current estate.

I disagree on the idea that any release post '87 will trigger the allegations. Dangerous includes some of his biggest hits. The people who are ignorant to the facts always will be. Why should only half his catalog be celebrated? Makes no sense. I would have preferred a documentary on dangerous instead of thriller tbh.

My favourite unreleased songs for HIStory 30 would be Innocent Man and Changes.
"Innocent Man" (also known as "An Innocent Man" and "The Innocent Man") is an unreleased song by Michael Jackson scrapped from the HIStory: Past, Present, and Future, Book I album.
"Changes" is an unreleased song by Michael Jackson intended for the Bad and HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I albums. On August 23rd, 2023 a seven-second snippet of the recording leaked online.

Didn't read the link, but to be honest, a lot of people don't know what songs to like on a new album, until they're told what to like.
This 100% It always feels to me many people just jump the bandwagon. Same goes for movies

Is this real?
66761beed9c307b7e998a1a5.jpg

All his subsequent studio albums have been damaged by the 1993 scandal.

Any anniversary re-release of these albums would reignite the 1993 scandal in people's mind.

You could say that about every MJ release, though. So why release any new MJ material at all?

Rereleases of Dangerous, History, and Invincible would be fine as something for loyal fans a la the Ultimate Collection boxset. Not every rerelease has to do the same numbers as Thriller 25 or whatever. Prince's estate releases niche collections for hardcore fans all the time.

I don't care what anyone else says - "D.S." is a masterpiece compared to some of the other tracks on the HIStory album. Of all the songs on that effort, I really think "Scream" has become pretty overrated (especially when you consider the makers of the music video were basically pitting Michael and Janet against each other at the time). Even one of my favorite numbers from the album, "Tabloid Junkie", has verses that are almost unintelligible (I have to read the lyrics every time just to understand what Michael was getting at). But objectively speaking, the best offerings are probably "They Don't Care About Us", "Stranger in Moscow", "Earth Song", "You Are Not Alone", and "Childhood". The covers of both "Come Together" and "Smile" are memorable as well.

IMO, this is the blueprint on how to make the perfect album. The flow and variety of songs is amazing. It's like a marathon of movies.

It also makes you wish he had recorded an entire album of Beatles covers.

without reading the thread:

no, there wont be any releases next year. bye.

Back