Help me with exam: Final school assigment about Michael

bjoernclausen

Proud Member
Hi guys!

I've been a member of MJJF, Smooth-Criminal.com, MJRemix, Max-Jax and now MJJC since I was ten years old (which would be 9 years now), and one thing that has always amazed me was the amazing base of knowledge that is out there - and I now truly need your help to make my final exam a really good one! So turn on your inner MJ Encyclopedia, and help me with my assignment!

I chose the subject "Michael Jackson", and my teacher made an assigment from that, which is this:

- - - - -

Subject: Michael Jackson

Question:
Which mythology has Michael Jackson created around himself, and how has he done this?

Hypothesis #01
Michael Jackson has nothing to do with the creation of his won myth. It has been created by the press entirely, who has portraied Jackson in a way, which has created an entire mythology.

First conclusion - False
Press can do alot. It can create a star, and tear it down again. But a lot of sources still describe Jackson himself creating parts of the myth surrounding him, so he has been a great part in creating his own (mystical) mythological creature - which is why this hypothesis is false.

Hypothesis #02
Michael Jackson has been in the spotlight because of his talent in such a degree, that the mythology of MJ has gradually created itself - in the press and population.

Part conclusion - Somewhat true

The myth of MJ was created in the press and population. And this truly happened gradually. But the part of his history where his becomes a myth instead of just a living legend was created by Jackson himself.

Hypothesis #03
Michael Jackson has definitely sought to stage himself, and has done so with the help of theories of staging one self and the human curiosity in such a degree, that it has slight tendensies of narcisism and new narcisism.

Part conklusion - True
It is a sure fact that Michael Jackson has created, at the least, parts of his own myth. He has proven to be a master of media, and has modified his own picture in the media (as well as physically). That these "modifications" in the media has gone overboard is a completely other story.

Relevant theories and notes:

1. Mythilogical theories
    Roland Barthes' theories on modern myth.

2. Media theories

3. Narcissism og new narcissism

4. Postmodern identity-consception
    (incl. charmeleon-theory)
- - - - - - - - - -

So as you guys can possibly tell, I'm on quite a big job!

What I would love is your perspective on the assignment, what subjects you think I need to get into and what other theories could be relevant.

Also I would love interview segments with Michael and others (video/audio/transcript w. source), that has something to say about this subject. I especially remember Frankie Dileo talking about how Michael altered his image in the late 80'ies, anybody know about that?

Thank so much for reading! Hoping you guys can help me out!

- BjoernClausen aka. Bjørn!

Great topic, and hypothesis 3 is definitely true!

You should mention that the hyperbaric chamber story was actually pushed out into the media by Michael's publicity folk- attached to the word "bizarre" to promote Captain Eo, or something like that.

Great topic, and hypothesis 3 is definitely true!

You should mention that the hyperbaric chamber story was actually pushed out into the media by Michael's publicity folk- attached to the word "bizarre" to promote Captain Eo, or something like that.

did michael come up with that story?

Yup, he thought the pic was funny and send it to the press with the word "bizarre" attached, as EoM said - so they made up a story to match! lol

you could however see it as him having jokes though cause he be thinking what idiot wants to write about me doing these things, that way he sorts the wheat from the chaff if you catch my drift

Back