Head of Winfrey's OWN cable network abruptly exits

StacyJ

Proud Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110506/ap_en_ot/us_tv_own_shakeup#mwpphu-container

Head of Winfrey's OWN cable network abruptly exits
AP – 1 hr 1 min ago
NEW YORK – In the wake of initial disappointing ratings for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, its head, Christina Norman, has abruptly left the 4-month-old channel.

The network announced Friday that Peter Liguori, the chief operating officer for Discovery Communications, will take over on an interim basis. His appointment is effective immediately.

OWN, which premiered on Jan. 1, is jointly owned by Discovery and Winfrey's Harpo, Inc.

Winfrey said she and Liguori will work together the reminder of this year to recruit a permanent CEO for the network's "next phase of growth."

Winfrey added that with the end of her syndicated talk show this month, she can devote her full energies to OWN.

Norman, formerly president of MTV, arrived at OWN in January 2009.

ya'll know I can't stand Oprah.. glad to see her OWN is sinking.. She doesn't want to be like MJ remember? MJ is gone and is still selling out arenas for a show he won't even be in.

I can't stand her.. I hope it is her karma

the head of her network? wow. there u go...like MJ said onscreen during a phone in moment on the oprah show, where everybody in the audience gasped with starstruckedness.

Oh yeah Oprah Winfrey is such a failure. Having a talk show run for 25 years...such a failure. Being one of the wealthiest and powerful women (not to mention black women) in the entertainment industry...what a failure. An Academy Award nomination? Failure. Having the respect and admiration of some of the most famous and powerful people...what a failure. I'm pretty sure if her network doesn't succeed she will be just fine and move on to something else. I'm not jumping on the wishing Oprah bad things bandwagon. For all her mistakes as they pertain to Michael, I think she is still a good person. I don't think she deserves that kind of hatred. It won't bring Michael back.

Nothing will EVER bring Michael back. :cry: Please, don't go there.
But, we cannot forget either, who disrespected him and ridiculed him over and over and over..
This is MJJ forum, not Oprah's. We have the right to feel the pain and being aggravated with Oprah, some people like it or not. Wishing bad on someone is not what I practice, but I believe in saying: "What goes around, comes around"- there is no way around it.

But, we cannot forget either, who disrespected him and ridiculed him over and over and over..
This is MJJ forum, not Oprah's. We have the right to feel the pain and being aggravated with Oprah, some people like it or not. Wishing bad on someone is not what I practice, but I believe in saying: "What goes around, comes around"- there is no way around it.

Thank You!

Thank You!

Yes, thank you. a 'good' person has to earn that label, constantly, else we could describe all kinds of bad deeds as good, and a lot of people would get away, with a lot of shit. come to think of it...they do.

and race isn't the issue. i'm black..i root for success, but there's no excuse for hurting people. i'm comfotable enough in my own skin, and have seen enough successes to say that.

Thank you! A shame to see the same posters going around the board and make up excuses for everybody and their mama

Oh yeah Oprah Winfrey is such a failure. Having a talk show run for 25 years...such a failure. Being one of the wealthiest and powerful women (not to mention black women) in the entertainment industry...what a failure. An Academy Award nomination? Failure. Having the respect and admiration of some of the most famous and powerful people...what a failure. I'm pretty sure if her network doesn't succeed she will be just fine and move on to something else. I'm not jumping on the wishing Oprah bad things bandwagon. For all her mistakes as they pertain to Michael, I think she is still a good person. I don't think she deserves that kind of hatred. It won't bring Michael back.

And I don't think that Michael diserved what she did on her 2005 shows where she and her guests were laughing like hyenas, make disgusting observations about him, while Mike was fighting for his life in a court room. Yes, Oprah is a very good person but apparently Michael brought the evil side of her because she was a total b.ch when it came to him.

Although you're totally right about not wishing ill to people or rejoicing when they fail, your touching upon the Michael part was not necessary. You could've made your point without including this bit. Yes, some people are remorseful, they are just people, but when associating this issue with the death of someone (wonderful) and how, 'surprisingly', nobody will be able to revive them, that's futile, uncalled for and a bit cruel. Yes, it is. Oprah is very much alive (very good that she is, not wishing anyone ill), but she has happened to take jabs at Jackson, even now as he's dead with her blunt, sly questions to either Katherine, LMP etc., she wouldn't let go of the child molesting crap and his 'plastic' surgery no matter what. She placed the appearance of Michael's children the same week the 200 Males Who Got Molested (don't know the exact title) aired, surely that wasn't coincidental either.

So, while you were right about that wishing ill part.. but I'll repeat myself. ..

Well there's simply no need to wish others bad things because Karma does exist............

.......but it makes no difference to her as she has enough money for all her needs and her charities!!!

Of course, that's just a insignificantly minor stone in her road, she's got enough money and fame to buy the entire world anyway.

Money and fame isn't everything. I am personally glad to see the end of the show.

Money and fame isn't everything. I am personally glad to see the end of the show.

Of course money and fame isn't everything, I was replying in reference to the thread's headline that this network of hers isn't going well, saying that she's got many other options left.

I feel like I am the only person in the world that doesn't care her show is ending and about her network. I haven't liked her for a very long time. Many reasons that have just added up over the years. I used to like her so I feel bad for not caring like it seems the whole world does right now. Having a show for 25 years is a great accomplishment. I am sure whatever she does she will be just fine.

I don't care.. I'm glad she's gone.. I can't stand Oprah's fake ass

Like i have always said .....:D Bye-bye opera !:waving:

sing it.

Last edited:
I have no problem whatsoever in saying this is good news. Oprah has been nothing but evil to Michael since the allegations in 1993. If she was the good person that ppl keep saying she is, she should have done her homework before jumping on the bandwagon and villifiying Michael like she did over and over again to this day. Michael granted her the interview of a lifetime which helped her career immensely the least she could have done is giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad she's off the air and I hope this new venture keeps failing.

I have no problem whatsoever in saying this is good news. Oprah has been nothing but evil to Michael since the allegations in 1993. If she was the good person that ppl keep saying she is, she should have done her homework before jumping on the bandwagon and villifiying Michael like she did over and over again to this day. Michael granted her the interview of a lifetime which helped her career immensely the least she could have done is giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad she's off the air and I hope this new venture keeps failing.

Me too..

Amen.

Back