He made his best work in the 90's

analogue

Proud Member
Does anyone else agree with this? Today i decided to listen to Dangerous, HIStory and the 5 original songs on Blood On The Dance Floor and the genius of those three albums is outstanding. Michael really was at the top of his game in the 90's

I was listening to the second disc of History today and it just blew me away! I'm obsessed with Tabloid Junkie. What a tune!

I'm obsessed with tabloid junkie, earth song and money. And a month ago I used to listen to the whole dangerous album non stop . I also hear blood on the dance and morphine. I was a baby in the 90's and I see people always talking about mj being the king of pop in the 80's , and I was wondering how big he was in the 90's, did his song get play or was there a lot of excitement when he released an album. compare to todays biggest artist in what group who he'd be, or he was too big to even compare to today biggest artists,.... I will so glad if people could explain how mj was in the 90's

See the thing is that I agree that the 90ies was some of the best stuff that I HEARD so far. Dangerous, Ghosts etc- all that far exceeds Off The Wall and Thriller, although some of the Bad songs rival the ingenuity of the the 90ies.

The thing is that wonder what else he might have stuffed into the vaults that we might never know about- as of yet. Knowing that he wrote classical musical as well and we just haven't heard any of it- I usually go with "from the stuff that was published so far."

I'm a tad conflicted because I am also a bigger lover of many Invincible era songs.

But I agree that he was a creative BEAST in the 90ies. I cherish having been a fan in the 90ies when all that stuff came out. Was GREAT. I remember all those Wetten Dass appearances when they happened live, I remember buying HIStory on that double tape and nervously shoving it into my walkman.

See the thing is that I agree that the 90ies was some of the best stuff that I HEARD so far. Dangerous, Ghosts etc- all that far exceeds Off The Wall and Thriller, although some of the Bad songs rival the ingenuity of the the 90ies.

The thing is that wonder what else he might have stuffed into the vaults that we might never know about- as of yet. Knowing that he wrote classical musical as well and we just haven't heard any of it- I usually go with "from the stuff that was published so far."

I'm a tad conflicted because I am also a bigger lover of many Invincible era songs.

But I agree that he was a creative BEAST in the 90ies. I cherish having been a fan in the 90ies when all that stuff came out. Was GREAT. I remember all those Wetten Dass appearances when they happened live, I remember buying HIStory on that double tape and nervously shoving it into my walkman.

Same here!!! :wild: :dance: :punk:

I think it depends on what 'era' you're into. Like 80s or 90s. Some people have different tastes and interpretations of what creative is. There's no doubt that Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were more pop, synth-orientated. Due to the short space a vinyl record had at that time there was a constant focus on creating hit after hit, which Michael did marvellously. During the 90's (which of course has a different sound to the 80s) we saw the rise of the CD, allowing Michael more time and tracks to express himself. Moving away from Quincy, gave him a little more artistic flexibility and freedom too. The 90's from my perspective was more experimental than the 80s in terms of sound and flow. It was no longer just about pure pop hit records to Michael, but something deeper as well. More complex concepts, melodies and songs.

Creatively I think Michael has always had it. I mean come on. Look at Bad. He wrote all but two of the songs on that record - all the songs were international hits and FIVE of them went to number one in the US. Truly astounding.

The genius of Michael was never isolated to just one period of time. It's always been there. The 90s were an incredible period for Michael artistically, no doubt. But you cannot deny the creativity and magic of OTW, Thriller, Bad and Invincible.

I think it depends on what 'era' you're into. Like 80s or 90s. Some people have different tastes and interpretations of what creative is. There's no doubt that Off The Wall, Thriller and Bad were more pop, synth-orientated. Due to the short space a vinyl record had at that time there was a constant focus on creating hit after hit, which Michael did marvellously. During the 90's (which of course has a different sound to the 80s) we saw the rise of the CD, allowing Michael more time and tracks to express himself. Moving away from Quincy, gave him a little more artistic flexibility and freedom too. The 90's from my perspective was more experimental than the 80s in terms of sound and flow. It was no longer just about pure pop hit records to Michael, but something deeper as well. More complex concepts, melodies and songs.

Creatively I think Michael has always had it. I mean come on. Look at Bad. He wrote all but two of the songs on that record - all the songs were international hits and FIVE of them went to number one in the US. Truly astounding.

The genius of Michael was never isolated to just one period of time. It's always been there. The 90s were an incredible period for Michael artistically, no doubt. But you cannot deny the creativity and magic of OTW, Thriller, Bad and Invincible.

I think so. He is a genius.

I agree. I think two things played into this:

1. Ending his partnership with Quincy Jones, which allowed for more creative freedom
2. The viciousness of the media inspired him to strike back and write better songs

Bodyguard recent years said they heard lots of new,beautiful music and I would love to hear for example his classical music.
If I judge after the songs I´ve heard I love 90s best.
I don´t know about Invincible but wasn´t most songs made in the 90s?
I love WHE I think I read it was made 1999 but I haven´t heard the version which was made then.
Maybe it was Michaels work on it later which made it to a fantastic song.

One thing i'd like to add is that i really hate it when some fans call She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away fillers. Those are amazing songs that have their place on the Dangerous album.

I don't think I can agree that his '90s stuff was best - I personally find a lot of his later material too grandoise, overproduced and contrived-sounding. So many of his later songs for me are so immaculately polished and well-crafted that I just don't feel them. I prefer the freer, frequently feelgood style of an OTW, Triumph or Thriller (the albums) to anything he did afterwards, and I just don't find his later material as lovable either.

But then, my musical tastes do certainly seem to gravitate towards later '70s/early '80s R&B and soul anyway, so maybe that's me railing against the changing times. **shrug**

Back