"He has become a symbol of our lost innocence"

michaeljojacksonfan

Proud Member
I absolutely love this comment from this poster, taken from http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/25/this-is-it-michael-jackson-lines/..

Where to start in answering? Martin Scorcese called Michael’s persona ’shamanistic’, Spielberg
called him ‘an emotional star child’, Mark Romanek (director of Scream)referred to him as ‘metaphysical’, Anjelica Houston called him an ‘innocent.’ Whatever the word used, all of these highly creative individuals were each in their way trying to convey the sense of wonderment they felt in Michael’s prescence. You can hear it in his music. It’s seeded in every note, in the dynamics and harmonics of the songs he sang. If you listen and look, you can feel it in his entire body of work. And his voice – that soft yet hard, steel yet gossamer expression of power and beauty he could produce at will, that creeps inside you when you hear it, comes inside you and taps at the fortress of your innermost being, and offers – everything. It was deceptive, he sang disco songs when he came out and it was therefore easy to see him as ‘just’ that; but inside those songs (whether they were his or how he interpreted them) were the stamp of his essence. It elevated the merely kinetic to the kaleidoscopic, mere music into magic and a thousand songs into the substance of the soul. You say Michael can be thought of as nothing more than an 80’s artefect, a relic of the bad, brash, primary-coloured, pre-Aids/9/11 times when we thought the whole world loved America, and people adored their stars like the old movie idols from back in the day. Maybe. But what you fail to realize is this; every kid I know is discovering Star Wars for the first time. The Sistine Chapel is no less beautiful now than it was when its painter first stepped back and exhaled. True art is immortal, and it lives forever. Michael often quoted Micheangelo – who said: ‘I will bind my soul to my work.’ This is what Michael Jackson did. He put all that young idealism, that thirst for freedom, that yearning to ‘move’ and be moved, his desire to be the best, his love and joy, his rage, his pain, his sorrow, his confusion and his loss – into his work. When all the lies and the untruths have faded with time, and those predators who even now pick at his memory like vultures to the bone, have finished their feasting – his work will remain. I find it interesting that the same media who are now saying ‘enough Michael Jackson’ didn’t employ that same restraint when for over 15 years they set about eroding and degrading his spirit. The grief I have felt since the 26th has been so intense and so profound that I know a great passing has occurred. It was physical – ‘is’ physical, it was as if the whole world for a moment felt some of the slow agony of that misunderstood, that lonely, and that betrayed. Michael is free now and he sings and dances amongst the worlds. He has become a symbol of our lost innocence and the possibilty of regaining that. And for those of us who know who, and what he was, and what he tried to do here – he will shine forever. And that is why here in london, my friend and I have feverishly logged onto the Sony site and will be waiting Sunday morning to buy our golden ticket. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get it, or if you don’t get Michael. We get him. We let the world take him from us once – we won’t let it happen again.

yeah right everyone calls him a hero now that he's dead I don't remember them doing that when he was alive

^^^Exactly. Treat him like sh*t when he's alive, worship him like a god when he's dead. Hypocrites.

Nevertheless, that is a good article.

I absolutely love this comment from this poster, taken from http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/25/this-is-it-michael-jackson-lines/..

Where to start in answering? Martin Scorcese called Michael’s persona ’shamanistic’, Spielberg
called him ‘an emotional star child’, Mark Romanek (director of Scream)referred to him as ‘metaphysical’, Anjelica Houston called him an ‘innocent.’ Whatever the word used, all of these highly creative individuals were each in their way trying to convey the sense of wonderment they felt in Michael’s prescence. You can hear it in his music. It’s seeded in every note, in the dynamics and harmonics of the songs he sang. If you listen and look, you can feel it in his entire body of work. And his voice – that soft yet hard, steel yet gossamer expression of power and beauty he could produce at will, that creeps inside you when you hear it, comes inside you and taps at the fortress of your innermost being, and offers – everything. It was deceptive, he sang disco songs when he came out and it was therefore easy to see him as ‘just’ that; but inside those songs (whether they were his or how he interpreted them) were the stamp of his essence. It elevated the merely kinetic to the kaleidoscopic, mere music into magic and a thousand songs into the substance of the soul. You say Michael can be thought of as nothing more than an 80’s artefect, a relic of the bad, brash, primary-coloured, pre-Aids/9/11 times when we thought the whole world loved America, and people adored their stars like the old movie idols from back in the day. Maybe. But what you fail to realize is this; every kid I know is discovering Star Wars for the first time. The Sistine Chapel is no less beautiful now than it was when its painter first stepped back and exhaled. True art is immortal, and it lives forever. Michael often quoted Micheangelo – who said: ‘I will bind my soul to my work.’ This is what Michael Jackson did. He put all that young idealism, that thirst for freedom, that yearning to ‘move’ and be moved, his desire to be the best, his love and joy, his rage, his pain, his sorrow, his confusion and his loss – into his work. When all the lies and the untruths have faded with time, and those predators who even now pick at his memory like vultures to the bone, have finished their feasting – his work will remain. find it interesting that the same media who are now saying ‘enough Michael Jackson’ didn’t employ that same restraint when for over 15 years they set about eroding and degrading his spirit. The grief I have felt since the 26th has been so intense and so profound that I know a great passing has occurred. It was physical – ‘is’ physical, it was as if the whole world for a moment felt some of the slow agony of that misunderstood, that lonely, and that betrayed. Michael is free now and he sings and dances amongst the worlds. He has become a symbol of our lost innocence and the possibilty of regaining that. And for those of us who know who, and what he was, and what he tried to do here – he will shine forever. And that is why here in london, my friend and I have feverishly logged onto the Sony site and will be waiting Sunday morning to buy our golden ticket. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get it, or if you don’t get Michael. We get him. We let the world take him from us once – we won’t let it happen again.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

absolutely beautiful. THANK YOU.

oh my goodness. That was so beautiful:clapping:
Here I go crying again!!!!! I'm gonna frame this and hang it in my dorm!!!

That was beautiful. Snowhite and Starde I am not sure if you felt that the writer has jumped on the bandwagon of Michael supporters but I have read the article twice and it is clear that writer GOT Michael a long time ago.

I can understand if you are saying that some people have suddenly found Michael but I dont believe that writer was one of those people. It was a beautiful post and says what all of us fans need to be saying 'it's OUR time now to define what Michael Jackson meant to music, dance and to the world'.

yeah right everyone calls him a hero now that he's dead I don't remember them doing that when he was alive

I readily admit I did not know Michael's death would affect me the way it has. I always loved him, but Michael was a peripheral in my life like so many things are. I never believed he was guilty of any allegations, but I didn't pore over newspapers or try to ferret out every morsel of information about him either.

But since his death I have become obsessive. He died 3 months ago, and still every single day I spend an hour or two reading about him or being on youtube or being here. I grieve him like he was actually a family member, but I never met him, and that made absolutely no sense to me at all. I'm glad others have the expressive skills to put into words what I myself have been trying to understand.

This is beautiful. It made me cry again.
Thank you so much for sharing.

called him ‘an emotional star child’, Mark Romanek (director of Scream)referred to him as ‘metaphysical’, Anjelica Houston called him an ‘innocent.’ Whatever the word used, all of these highly creative individuals were each in their way trying to convey the sense of wonderment they felt in Michael’s prescence. You can hear it in his music. It’s seeded in every note, in the dynamics and harmonics of the songs he sang. If you listen and look, you can feel it in his entire body of work. And his voice – that soft yet hard, steel yet gossamer expression of power and beauty he could produce at will, that creeps inside you when you hear it, comes inside you and taps at the fortress of your innermost being, and offers – everything. It was deceptive, he sang disco songs when he came out and it was therefore easy to see him as ‘just’ that; but inside those songs (whether they were his or how he interpreted them) were the stamp of his essence. It elevated the merely kinetic to the kaleidoscopic, mere music into magic and a thousand songs into the substance of the soul. You say Michael can be thought of as nothing more than an 80’s artefect, a relic of the bad, brash, primary-coloured, pre-Aids/9/11 times when we thought the whole world loved America, and people adored their stars like the old movie idols from back in the day. Maybe. But what you fail to realize is this; every kid I know is discovering Star Wars for the first time. The Sistine Chapel is no less beautiful now than it was when its painter first stepped back and exhaled. True art is immortal, and it lives forever. Michael often quoted Micheangelo – who said: ‘I will bind my soul to my work.’ This is what Michael Jackson did. He put all that young idealism, that thirst for freedom, that yearning to ‘move’ and be moved, his desire to be the best, his love and joy, his rage, his pain, his sorrow, his confusion and his loss – into his work. When all the lies and the untruths have faded with time, and those predators who even now pick at his memory like vultures to the bone, have finished their feasting – his work will remain. I find it interesting that the same media who are now saying ‘enough Michael Jackson’ didn’t employ that same restraint when for over 15 years they set about eroding and degrading his spirit. The grief I have felt since the 26th has been so intense and so profound that I know a great passing has occurred. It was physical – ‘is’ physical, it was as if the whole world for a moment felt some of the slow agony of that misunderstood, that lonely, and that betrayed. Michael is free now and he sings and dances amongst the worlds. He has become a symbol of our lost innocence and the possibilty of regaining that. And for those of us who know who, and what he was, and what he tried to do here – he will shine forever. And that is why here in london, my friend and I have feverishly logged onto the Sony site and will be waiting Sunday morning to buy our golden ticket. It doesn’t matter if you don’t get it, or if you don’t get Michael. We get him. We let the world take him from us once – we won’t let it happen again.
That's probably one of the best things I've ever read about Michael
and every word is true _ Just beautiful

Back