Have you ever thought about how small and insignificant we are in this universe?

Bob George

Proud Member
Have you ever thought about how small and insignificant we are in this universe? Maybe this is help you realise just how massive the universe really is.

This is Canis Majoris. The largest known star in the universe. To give you an idea of how massive it is, the above image compares it to our sun. The sun is that really tiny little dot next to it. You can't even see it in the above image so I've linked it to a bigger scale image where you can actually see it. Just click on the image.

Now, to give you an idea of how small and insignificant we are in the grand scale of things, this is the Earth compared to our Sun...

Again, it's linked to a bigger picture so you can see it more clearly.

So think about how small our planet is compared to our sun. Then think about how small our sun is compared to the biggest known star in the universe. It's mind blowing. Well, to me anyway.

Last edited:
YES! It's so mindblowing I can't understand it.
I can't think about these things too long because I just can't understand!!! Everything is so BIG and we, humans, gosh we are sooooo little tiny things on this Earth compared to everything else. And yet we still "rule" this planet..

It's very interesting, but for me so hard to understand...

Hence why I do not buy the idea of - we are the only living creatures in the entire universe. Just because we haven't discovered any living creature outside the Earth, it doesn't mean there is none.

Human, so puny compared to the universe but with inflatable ego and ignorance beyond infinity.

I think the greatest philosophers of our time, very influential and..I think, more enlightening than Socrates and Plato put together, said it best:

YAKKO'S UNIVERSE (The Animaniacs)

Yakko: Everybody lives on a street in a city
Or a village or a town for what it's worth.
And they're all inside a country which is part of a continent
That sits upon a planet known as Earth.
And the Earth is a ball full of oceans and some mountains
Which is out there spinning silently in space.
And living on that Earth are the plants and the animals
And also the entire human race.
It's a great big universe
And we're all really puny
We're just tiny little specks
About the size of Mickey Rooney.

It's big and black and inky
And we are small and dinky
It's a big universe and we're not.
And we're part of a vast interplanetary system
Stretching seven hundred billion miles long.
With nine planets and a sun; we think the Earth's the only one
That has life on it, although we could be wrong.

Across the interstellar voids are a billion asteroids
Including meteors and Halley's Comet too.
And there's over fifty moons floating out there like balloons
In a panoramic trillion-mile view.
And still it's all a speck amid a hundred billion stars
In a galaxy we call the Milky Way.
It's sixty thousand trillion miles from one end to the other
And still that's just a fraction of the way.
'Cause there's a hundred billion galaxies that stretch across the sky
Filled with constellations, planets, moons and stars.
And still the universe extends to a place that never ends
Which is maybe just inside a little jar!

Yakko, Wakko + Dot: It's a great big universe
Though we don't know how it got here
We're an important part here
It's a big universe and it's ours!

I personally think we're all on an episode of "LOST" :lol:

I think the greatest philosophers of our time, very influential and..I think, more enlightening than Socrates and Plato put together, said it best:

YAKKO'S UNIVERSE (The Animaniacs)

Yakko: Everybody lives on a street in a city
Or a village or a town for what it's worth.
And they're all inside a country which is part of a continent
That sits upon a planet known as Earth.
And the Earth is a ball full of oceans and some mountains
Which is out there spinning silently in space.
And living on that Earth are the plants and the animals
And also the entire human race.
It's a great big universe

It's big and black and inky
And we are small and dinky
It's a big universe and we're not.
And we're part of a vast interplanetary system
Stretching seven hundred billion miles long.
With nine planets and a sun; we think the Earth's the only one
That has life on it, although we could be wrong.

Across the interstellar voids are a billion asteroids
Including meteors and Halley's Comet too.
And there's over fifty moons floating out there like balloons
In a panoramic trillion-mile view.
And still it's all a speck amid a hundred billion stars
In a galaxy we call the Milky Way.
It's sixty thousand trillion miles from one end to the other
And still that's just a fraction of the way.
'Cause there's a hundred billion galaxies that stretch across the sky
Filled with constellations, planets, moons and stars.
And still the universe extends to a place that never ends
Which is maybe just inside a little jar!

Yakko, Wakko + Dot: It's a great big universe
Though we don't know how it got here
We're an important part here
It's a big universe and it's ours!

I personally think we're all on an episode of "LOST" :lol:

I LOVE the Animaniacs, and miss the hell out of there being brilliant cartoons like that on for kids. **Thinks of what's on today and shudders** ANYWAY, I LOVE this song from that show and I hold it to be VERY VERY true.

Thanks for posting it!

As an astronomer I already know how small and insignifigant we are in the uninverse. Look at my one favorite planet Jupiter. That planet is so massive that if it was at least 10 times to 20 times bigger it would have been a star. So we would have 2 suns instead of just one. Then there is the dying star Betelgeuse which makes up one of the 3 stars in the Star Constellation Orion's belt. Betelgeuse is a super red giant star. Super red giants are so much more massive then yellow dwarf stars like our Sun. In about 5 billion years from now our Sun will become a red giant and then a white dwarf. We also have a super massive black hole in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. But that black hole is not doing much of anything except going on a starvation diet. Meaning it is not really sucking up much of anything in it's hole.
We also have so many other massive things in our universe. Like the most biggest galaxies in the universe are the giant elliptical galaxies in the centres of clusters of galaxies. They are sometimes called cD galaxies (for giant diffuse galaxies) or BCGs (for brightest cluster galaxies). These galaxies are about 10 times more luminous that a typical galaxy (like the Milky Way) and about 100 times more massive. They can have diameters of more than 6 million light years (compare to about 100 thousand light years for the Milky Way). A good example is the central galaxy in the cluster Abell 2029. BTW 1 light year is 5,879,000,000,000 miles.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdtIqIzOse8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdtIqIzOse8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

you just ruined a good thread with some ignorant religious crap. do us all a favour and delete it.

I've thought about this topic so often. It's crazy how insignficant we are on the scale of the universe.l..however that doesn't mean we don't matter ;)

Here's a fun activity for all:

After you're done comparing the size of our sun to Canis Majoris, and then comparing the size of Earth to our sun... compare the size of yourself to the Earth. Then fall under a state of depression and kill yourself. It's a hoot!

LMAO.

and with the above actually comes a valid point (or maybe it's just my interpretation) but "insignificance" is the wrong word here.

Back