Hard-to-hear Lyrics - Why? - Tabloid Junkie / Shout

Chris J

Proud Member
I was thinking, I wonder why Michael wrote such great lyrics for Tabloid Junkie and Shout but sang them both in such a way that it's difficult to hear what he's saying, in low tones and a breathy style.

I think it works very well but I do have to look up the lyrics for these two songs quite often! :)

What do you think?

well, the sound comes first..

I think Michael takes the feeling and emotion of the song/lyrics first then the pernounciation.. the SOUND is more important..

I think it comes from the school of James Brown.. :) lol!!

He did the same thing.. Even MORE than MJ.. ha ha!

I think its to force the listeners into paying more attention to what he's saying, they do that in film sometimes it kinda draws you in, but to be honest I didnt like it, Shout could of had been a great song but it turned out like poop imo and Tabloid Junkie was better then shout but wasnt anywhere near as good as something like they dont care about us...

'Shout' was just too repetitive.. I don't think it would have been that way if it were released..

I think Mike was just getting the basic sound down.

I really didnt like Shout, it was the song that made me consider moving to a Justin Timberlake forum.

'Shout' was just too repetitive.. I don't think it would have been that way if it were released..
It was released as a B-Side. I think he was trying to rap in Shout. It's similar to rappers who rap in a really fast style. They're hard to understand also. I think the chorus came from the old Isley Brothers' song of the same name.

Last edited:
^ Often Michael does not chose what is on B-sides.. that's why he does not promote them.. he does not think they are good enough to be released..

it's sony (usually)

B-Sides (and sometimes soundtrack songs that aren't written especially for a movie) by any performer are usually picked by the artist, because they turn them in to the record company. They don't have to turn in any extra material, just an album. Prince, Sting, Depeche Mode, and Tori Amos were famous for always having B-Sides. Michael rarely had B-sides. Can't Get Outta The Rain comes to mind. And that is just the end of the long version of You Can't Win, not a song unto itself. Michael's B-Sides were either songs from the same album or older album or an instrumental of the 1st side.

Yeah, it's definitely to force people to listen. Tabloid Junkie is a genius of a song and should have been released as a single imo. :yes:

it's from James Brown.. he did that all the time.. way more than Michael..

it's just expressing the feel.. sometimes the words don't come out clearly when your expressing..

i lovvvvvvvvve shout..altho i had 2 read da lyrics a billin times lol

tabloid junkie im n bliss when i listen 2 it..i kinda learned 4rm just listenin..i dnt think i ever looked up da lyrics until recently

same in Blood On The Dance Floor ...i always think ...why couldnt they simply mix the vocals
a bit louder. its a little annoying really...

B-Sides (and sometimes soundtrack songs that aren't written especially for a movie) by any performer are usually picked by the artist, because they turn them in to the record company. They don't have to turn in any extra material, just an album. Prince, Sting, Depeche Mode, and Tori Amos were famous for always having B-Sides. Michael rarely had B-sides. Can't Get Outta The Rain comes to mind. And that is just the end of the long version of You Can't Win, not a song unto itself. Michael's B-Sides were either songs from the same album or older album or an instrumental of the 1st side.

Come Together was another (at the time previously unreleased (in audio form)) B-Side (on Remember The Time)
before it was released on HIStory...

Last edited:
i lovvvvvvvvve shout..

Shout, is one of the most and the best Rock-Pop Song you can ever heard.
And believe me that no one it could do a mix from it, because inside of it is MJJ theory.
And I am happy about it.
I would never like that some one like "User" for exemple to remix Shout song.
It sounds not good I mean, if some one remix MJJ songs.
The true is that MJJ remain and is still MJJ.

... but sang them both in such a way that it's difficult to hear what he's saying, in low tones and a breathy style. What do you think?
If you want to hear those lyrics toy need to understand the way of MJJ theory and interpreting.

Is pure MJJ, that's way you can not reinterpret it. No one will can, and this is good, is more like a Copyright is MJJ and it will remain' like this.

Learn those lyrics, try to understand what is behind of it, and you'll understand them very well after, believe me. And you'll here it in your mind, you'll never need to listening, you'll have them before the sound you'll came, you'll be a step forward, if you'll do this.

Best Wishes.

Actually Come Together was recorded for the Bad album, but was left off because of space reasons. The other artists recorded stuff specifically for B-sides. The Beatles always made singles separate from the albums. They were later compiled as Past Masters Volumes 1 & 2. There's a Come Together that's slightly different from the History version or the one on Moonwalker on a Japanese box set.

By the way.
Shout it was written for the Invincible album, but for some political reasons it was taken in.
And this is a reason that's way MJJ sing this song in the way he did. He now very well way.
I guess you can see trough the verse.

Last edited:
There's a Come Together that's slightly different from the History version or the one on Moonwalker on a Japanese box set.

yep, the Japanese Tour Souvenir Pack.
but thats the same version that was released on the Remember The Time singles.
its only different (bit shorter) on the HIStory album.

Last edited:
yep, the Japanese Tour Souvenir Pack.
but thats the same version that was released on the Remember The Time singles.
its only different (bit shorter) on the HIStory album.

There's no Come Together on the RTT single I have, but some C&C Music Factory mixes of Black Or White.

i think it's just his style. for me, i don't understand most of the songs, i always have to look up the lyrics.

I think the way Michael portrayed Tabloid Junkie was really smart.

I have to agree with my friend's assessment. Tabloid Junkie is all about people making up rumors and grapevines. In my country people create grapevines/rumors by talking and whispering behind people's back. So there you have it, Michael projecting his vocal in whisper-like to showcase that 'grapevines/rumors' environment.

i think it's just his style. for me, i don't understand most of the songs, i always have to look up the lyrics.

Exactly the same for me if I dont look them up I'll just be making them up lol. even when I look them up I tend to forget them because theres so many I dont understand. Its just the way he sings and pronounces some words.

I love both songs I luv Shout and I guess cuz he's saying alot in the song...sometime it's the way he pronounces certain words...that leads to a lot of misheard lyrics...it must be the Gary in him

Back