Happy St. Lucia Day!

mjroxworld

Proud Member
I know that there are those here from Scandinavia and other countries around the world who celebrate this beautiful holiday on Dec. 13th, so I thought I would send my greetings. I will be busy tomorrow helping my daughter, Kirstyn, get ready for her big debut early Saturday morning. This is going to be a wonderful surprise for the rest of the family. It's a secret shared between us till then. :)

Although I have some Swedish heritage, I have never had the pleasure of celebrating this holiday. I don't think I have ever tasted Lussekatter, either, unless my grandmother made some at Christmastime when I was a child. My daughter is extremely excited about playing St. Lucia and wearing a beautiful white dress. She looks like a tiny bride in the dress we have. :)

So, I would welcome any comments and reflections about St. Lucia Day here. You know, memories, family traditions, stories told, all that kind of good stuff.

For most Americans it is the day after Thanksgiving that kicks off the Christmas season. For Scandinavians and others, it is St. Lucia Day that ushers it in. This is exciting. What's more, we will be celebrating the season until January 7th, which is the Orthodox Christmas so one of my other daughters can celebrate the Russian Christmas as part of her heritage. She misses the Holy Supper and the festivities and being Babushka handing out gifts to the children. I am proud to have a family of so much heritage!

Okay, time to go work on Kirstyn's Lucia crown. I hope this works.

This morning went well. It certainly was a surprise for everyone, in fact she scared the dickens out of them as she shouted out to greet them and invite to breakfast. lol. But she looked like an angel, with her crown of lights guiding the way. :)

This was a great heritage/culture/history lesson.

Tonight we will have a St. Lucia dinner and she will help me prepare a chicken dish. Golly, I'm tired.

So, all you Scandinavians, how did your fabulous day go? :)

Back