HAPPY 26th ANNIVERSARY!!!

KB50MJ

Proud Member
Today marks the 26th Anniversary of the day Michael-mania officially began.

On this day, May 16th 1983 is the day Motown: 25 aired. And The first time MJ publicly performed the moon-walk.

It is said that this performance was one of the greatest TV performances ever.

It was even nominated for an Emmy.

Enjoy: [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Wow! I was only 2 years old. lol! I wanted to have both witnessed this great moment that was so important to Michael. I am imagining the size of the emotion he felt after that legendary performance and magnified. That day, when Michael finally left its mark on the music scene. Michael thank you for this!​

:agree:I hate to dispute on this but for me, my true "mania" anniversary is June 9th. This will be my 40th anniversay for me since my Jacksonmania really started.:yes: :tease:

Ticie,
The JACKSONOLOGIST

The Billie Jean performance is when Michael turned from superstar to worldwide cultural icon, and I according to the MJJ Productions produced 1988 video documentary (I think it may have been screened in the USA in 1986 ?) The Legend Continues, the Billie Jean performance on Motown 25 is when the Michaelmania started and people who had never bought a Michael Jackson single or album went out and bought Thriller.

For me Michaelmania started in Febuary 1983 when Billie Jean was No.1 in the charts and I saw the video on Top Of The Pops. But Michael's Motown 25 performance of Billie Jean and the Jackson 5 medley still amazes me to this day, and I still rate them as Michael's greatest performances on televsion and better than any other pop star of any era.

I wasn't even born in 1983, yet I've been touched by the magic of that performance. Michael is the true King of entertainment! Congratulations on this anniversary!

I wasn't born til 1987, and only been a fan for just over 7 years...a third of my life! Reading this makes me cry - he's so young there, yet he started performing when he was just a baby! He's phenomenal, so proud to be a fan of the King of Music! :)

:punk: Yes this is my time to celebrate my fandom. This is when I became a Michael Jackson fan on this night. :wub: I still remember it like it was yesterday. :D Thank you KB50MJ for making a thread for this.

Today marks the 26th Anniversary of the day Michael-mania officially began.

On this day, May 16th 1983 is the day Motown: 25 aired. And The first time MJ publicly performed the moon-walk.

It is said that this performance was one of the greatest TV performances ever.

It was even nominated for an Emmy.

Enjoy: [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

I was trying to figure out why he was only nominated and did not win, so I looked it up and somebody named Cloris Leachman won for that category "Best Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program. She had performed at the Screen Actor's Guild 50th Anniversary Celebration.

I could not find the performance on youtube, but it would be interesting to see what beat Michael's performance

No, that was Jacksonmania. :)

yeah..lol..well..considering the frontman's magic at the time, it could be debatable...lol

let's face it. i love the other dudes, but, it seems that from the beginning it was and is hard to pay real centralizing attention to anyone else but MJ.

Yay! So crazy, but I think I missed it originally. (Or I saw it and couldn't remember? Could it be? Shocking!) This springtime is my 25th anniversary of my own personal Michaelmania, so I was only one year late, lol.

yeah..lol..well..considering the frontman's magic at the time, it could be debatable...lol

let's face it. i love the other dudes, but, it seems that from the beginning it was and is hard to pay real centralizing attention to anyone else but MJ.

It's kinda like Diana Ross & the Supremes. :lol:

I was nine years old, I remember that day!!! The show was amazing!!! I am so proud of you Michael. Bravo Mike!!! I Love you!!!

Reading this makes me cry - he's so young there, yet he started performing when he was just a baby! He's phenomenal, so proud to be a fan of the King of Music! :)

Ditto to this post. He's amazing, and phenomenal! So proud to be a fan. Kinda makes me all emotional. :blush:

It's amzing that people from all over the world who watched the show were like "Wow" and tried to dance like him. I wasn't born yet, but I just can imagine how big the phenomenon was.

Wow 26 years...

Any article scans about the show? It would be interesting to read what they were writing about his performance.

Wow 26 years...

Any article scans about the show? It would be interesting to read what they were writing about his performance.

Aw yeah, I would love to see these too! I can only imagine what the hype was like.

Back