Gunman on the run after killing at least 4 in Finland

Reeta

Proud Member
(CNN) -- Police in Finland are searching for a 43-year-old man who is believed to have killed at least four people at a shopping center near the Finnish capital Helsinki.

Finnish police confirmed the shooting happened at 10:08 a.m. (3:08 a.m. ET), leaving three men and one woman dead.

CNN affiliate MTV3 and state broadcaster YLE reported that five people were killed. YLE said the fifth victim was found at an apartment in Espoo; MTV3 said that victim was a woman.

Police named 43-year-old Ibrahim Shkupolli as the suspect in the shooting, saying he was considered armed and dangerous and still at large. Shkupolli has lived in Finland "for some time," police said.

The shooting happened at the Sello shopping center in the town of Espoo, just to the west of Helsinki, witnesses said.

The mall was busy with shoppers when the gunman started shooting at a grocery store inside the mall, said Mika Pettersson, editor-in-chief of Finnish news agency STT.

"People saw a gunman, calm, walking out of the grocery store after shooting," he said. "People first thought it was fireworks that had been exploding, but after they realized what had happened, there was a panic."

State broadcaster YLE said the gunman used a 9mm handgun.

Initial reports that the gunman was still inside the mall were now unconfirmed, Pettersson said, and the gunman's whereabouts were unclear.

There are rumors that the gunman was motivated by jealousy because of a relationship, reporter Pout Anan, from CNN affiliate MTV3, told CNN. Police did not immediately confirm a motive.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/12/31/finland.shooting.shopping.mall/index.html

:eek:

The police is having a press conference at this very moment.

The police just announced the 6th victim has been found and it could be the suspect himself, but it is not confirmed yet.

They aren't sure about the motives yet, but it's believed the shooting has something to do with the 5th victim, a woman who was found from the apartment and was suspect's ex-girlfriend.

I saw this and was thinking about you, hoping you are safe.

I live in another city, but I do know someone who uses that particular shopping center daily and she told she was actually going to get some groceries today and if she would have gone there like 15 mins before she actually went she would have been there when the shooting took place. Scary!

It is now been confirmed by the police the 6th dead is the shooter himself.

I saw this too. :eek: The latest news is, the police have found the shooter in his own apartment. He is dead. So, that's six people gone over what -- jealousy?! Now the real motive might never be known. This world is nuts... :( Sigh... Such a needless tragedy.

Ah, I see you just edited your post to say the shooter's killed himself too.

Come on! What the heck is going on here? Two weeks ago on that same mall dudes kidnapped 14-years old boy, week ago Nykänen almost killed his wife (and he isn't going to jail... argh!) and now this...

This guy killed his own ex-girlfriend and her friends I believe. Motive.

... great ending to a great year.. :(

* I just found out that my uncle was going there too but then heard it was evacuated.

Last edited:
Come on! What the heck is going on here? Two weeks ago on that same mall dudes kidnapped 14-years old boy, week ago Nykänen almost killed his wife (and he isn't going to jail... argh!) and now this...

This guy killed his own ex-girlfriend and her friends I believe. Motive.

Well they were ex-girlfriend's co-workers as the she also worked in that same grocery store, but I haven't found any articles where they would confirm any motives, except that he was jealous and there was a restraining order placed against him by the ex-girlfriend. Maybe he thought she was at work, but she wasn't.. but then again they haven't released any timelines yet, so there's a possibility he shot her before going to the mall, which would make this sound ever crazier. If he had already killed the ex-girlfriend, why to go and kill the others?

Oh wow. He first killed his ex-girlfriend using a knife at her home, then went to the grocery store to shoot the others. Apparently the motive is revenge as some news are saying he had been threatening and persecuting the ex-girlfriend for months and these killed co-workers had been defending her, I think at the work when he had been there to harass her. The police has said the shooter acted quickly and purposefully and knew who to "look for" at the grocery store.

Back