Guest Speaker Event: Joseph Vogel: Michael Jackson and the Re-invention of Popular Music

billyworld99

Proud Member
EVENT

Guest Speaker Event: Joseph Vogel: Michael Jackson and the Re-invention of Popular Music
April 5, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Discussion and book signing.

Michael Jackson’s brilliance as an artist was often overshadowed by the tabloid frenzy that surrounded his unusual life. Beyond the caricature, however, was an innovative, ambitious artist who fused music, technology, film, dance and performance in a way never before seen. His first adult solo record, Off the Wall, became the bestselling album ever by an African-American artist. Then came the global phenomenon that was Thriller, the bestselling album by any artist of any race in the history of the music industry.

Such records earned Jackson the title, "the King of Pop." Yet in many ways, his creative work was far more profound than the term "pop" implies. Where most pop songs are expected to be simple tunes about love and relationships, Jackson's tracks often go deeper, exploring the gamut of human emotion and experience: the exhilaration, yearning, despair and transcendence. He also draws from a deep, eclectic well of inspiration, including James Brown and Charlie Chaplin, African American spirituals and Beethoven, Manu Dibango and Fred Astaire. Indeed, while the casual American music listener assumes that Jackson's work declined after the 80s, in truth, it became more daring, experimental and socially conscious, as Jackson himself wrote most of the material, co-directed his short films and served as executive producer on his albums. Nearly three years after Jackson's untimely death, Vogel will move beyond the myth and discuss the artistic and cultural legacy of an artist who changed popular music.

JOSEPH VOGEL is the author of three books, including Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson (Sterling Publishing, 2011). His work has appeared in The Atlantic, The Huffington Post and PopMatters, among other publications. Vogel has been interviewed by numerous national media outlets, including NPR, Forbes, The Chronicle of Higher Education, The Michael Eric Dyson Show, Democracy Now, Business News Daily and the Associated Press. He is currently a doctoral candidate and instructor at the University of Rochester.
http://www.thebaobab.org/event.php?id=447

I still have yet to get this book. I cannot seem to find it around where I live. Has anybody read it yet who can give feedback?

Side note: So glad to be back on MJJC. :heart:

I still have yet to get this book. I cannot seem to find it around where I live. Has anybody read it yet who can give feedback?

Amazon.
I read it during xmas holidays and loved it.It was so good that I'm trying to forget I read it so I can read it again:)
My recommendations while reading MITM: have you MJ CD's near by so you can listen them after reading Joe's take on each song, open youtube so you can check videos too. This way it will take longer time to finish the book:D

Here seems to be more reviews about the book
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...-And-Read-the-Book?highlight=Joe+Vogel+review

Back