Graphic Designer Wanted - Xscape Promo Poster

mijacxscape

Proud Member

Hello,

We have 5 local music stores and they have agreed to promote "Xscape" if I provide the posters.

Would someone be willing to design a high quality 300dpi 11x17 promotional poster for the album for me and other fans to use?

Thanks in advance.

I can try to make one if you want! Hope other fans also will send you something so you can pick a poster that fits the stores best!

Something like this (not sure about 300dpi)

Last edited:
Is this allowed?

You make a good point. I think if it was just text, that would be one thing. But thinking on it, using graphics that belong to Epic/Sony/The Estate- whoever owns the copyright- is probably not the best idea. I got a little overzealous I will admit, and when that happens I just don't think :lol: I say that with a laugh, but it's really not a joking matter. The forum could end up getting into huge trouble and I would never want to risk that happening. I just want to help spread the word about the album, but not by any illegal means. I have deleted my previous post unless/until I know for certain there is a green light on this.

Back to making web graphics! :)

Perhaps a suggestion to the OP could be to contact Epic and see if they have any promo materials they send your way?

Last edited:
You make a good point. I think if it was just text, that would be one thing. But thinking on it, using graphics that belong to Epic/Sony/The Estate- whoever owns the copyright- is probably not the best idea. I got a little overzealous I will admit, and when that happens I just don't think :lol: I say that with a laugh, but it's really not a joking matter. The forum could end up getting into huge trouble and I would never want to risk that happening. I just want to help spread the word about the album, but not by any illegal means. I have deleted my previous post unless/until I know for certain there is a green light on this.

Back to making web graphics! :)

Perhaps a suggestion to the OP could be to contact Epic and see if they have any promo materials they send your way?

have someone contact the estate and see if they will allow it they want it promoting dont they?

I have called Sony and The Estate with no returned calls which is why I resorted to asking the fans for help. I don't see the issues... its to promote and album for them. Fans have been making their own posters and flyers forever to street team and promote albums on their own.

Just make the posters. Sony isn't going to send in executives with cease and desist letters over ads in local music stores.

1.it wud not be the artists but the record store that wud legally ar fault for puting it up ifffff sony wanted to do anything about it...

2. I highly doubt sony wud have any objection of helping promotion, ur not leaking any music so ur fine..

Just dont sell the poster, no financial gain and ur fine..

Well, you're not selling the poster, no. But using the poster to promote albums which the business is selling- that does make them money.

I would think there would be no problem... but I'm not sure it's a risk I want to take. I'll do some research and, if it's not an issue, I will re-post my graphic.

Okay, so I just spent some time talking to a friend of mine who is a professional graphic designer (more professional than I am, lol. She has 10 years of corporate experience), and this is what we decided... chances are, Sony/Epic isn't going to send out people to see who's using copywritten images, so technically, one could get away with it. That being said, if it was a lesser-known artists, I would go ahead and give out what I made, but being that it's Michael, the best way to avoid any trouble at all is to just not give it out. I am such a worry-wart, I'm sorry and it's just not a risk I am willing to take.

However, she did suggest using his silhouette, because they do not own a copyright on that. I could just do a text-only poster, but I doubt that would help sales at all. It's his image, his likeness, that sells- or helps sell. And that's where using his silhouette would come in handy.

Hi - we try to promote the official release with a flashmob - dancing Michael Jackson's new album "XSCAPE" ath the main media store "Saturn" in Cologne, Germany. We will be supported by the store. So here is the dance tutorial, maybe a good idea - and we have still time to learn it?

Dance Tutorial - Michael Jackson's new album "Xscape"
http://vimeo.com/91666792

The Homepage - sorry, It's in German:
http://www.xscape-flashmob.tk/

Okay, so I took my friend's suggestion, but I am no vector artist, so trying to make a silhouette of his head/body just was not going to happen :lol: Instead, what I did was a very abstract silhouette of his head and the ring around it. Then I kept with the space/cosmos theme for the background.

This is just a small preview image, mijacxscape if you like it, I can send you the full-sized graphic. Hope you like it :)

Image removed

Last edited:
Damnit.

I fought with myself all day about the poster and there is just no way I can go about this and NOT use his face. No way. I created a different poster and initially I liked it, but the more I looked at it, the more I hated it. So I fixed it up a little bit, and yes. I used the album cover. So sue me. All this discussion about copyright infringement and I am throwing it out the window, all because my standards are set so damn high :sigh:

Anyway, here's the final poster. Again, this is just a preview image. PM me for the full-sized graphic.

xscape-small2.png

Damnit.

I fought with myself all day about the poster and there is just no way I can go about this and NOT use his face. No way. I created a different poster and initially I liked it, but the more I looked at it, the more I hated it. So I fixed it up a little bit, and yes. I used the album cover. So sue me. All this discussion about copyright infringement and I am throwing it out the window, all because my standards are set so damn high :sigh:

Anyway, here's the final poster. Again, this is just a preview image. PM me for the full-sized graphic.

xscape-small2.png

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH! I have sent you a PM.

Back