Grammys 93 - Michael's peak?

SkyWalk

Proud Member
So do you think Michael was at the top of his game in terms of fame and popularity at the 93 Grammys!?

Michael had just had his first Major Interview to clear all those rumours and for the world to get to know the real more personal Mike.

A new album (Dangerous) just released
World tour in full swing
The Superbowl

And at the Grammys, a Legend award was given to him and with a great speech from Michael saying things like he's cleansed himself, coming back full of energy - somthing to that effect...

It was all there for him and he had the whole world in the palm of his hands!!!!! I think at that moment that night Michael Jackson was at THE top.
Shame what happend a few months later....

Last edited:
I think Michael's peak in fame and popularity was without a doubt in the 1980s. Nevertheless, I do think 1993 started out as a very good year for MJ for many of the reasons that you mention. The Oprah interview, imo, did indeed clear up a lot of rumours and overall helped his popularity. Combined with the exposure through the many great performances he delivered during the first few months, it helped increase the sales of Dangerous tremendously. Michael also appeared to be more comfortable during non-performance public appearances than he had ever been before at that point.

Yeah, 1993 started out as a very good year imo. Which makes what happened later that year even more saddening and disgusting.

Depends on where you are: in the US the peak of his popularity was Thriller. In Europe it was Bad-Dangerous.

I think Michael's peak in fame and popularity was without a doubt in the 1980s. Nevertheless, I do think 1993 started out as a very good year for MJ for many of the reasons that you mention. The Oprah interview, imo, did indeed clear up a lot of rumours and overall helped his popularity. Combined with the exposure through the many great performances he delivered during the first few months, it helped increase the sales of Dangerous tremendously. Michael also appeared to be more comfortable during non-performance public appearances than he had ever been before at that point.

Yeah, 1993 started out as a very good year imo. Which makes what happened later that year even more saddening and disgusting.

As Respect said- from a US viewpoint looking at the US perhaps. (and most Europeans didn't see the US awards show until the youtube era, actually)
Europe on the other hand was going absolutely NUTS around the time of Dangerous. And even beyond that. He was literally on every cover, on every channel etc. I remember it since I spent countless hours next to my VCR taping snippets with his mentioning.

I don't know too many artists that receive 6 o'clock mentioning about their concert in a different country. I remember taping German news channels that were reporting on his Moscow (!!!) concert- it was something akin to breaking into the final (political) frontier after monumental changes- and Michael was ANYTHING past his "prime" from the Europe that I remember.
I picked up youth magazines in Eastern Europe, too- he truly was an absolute megastar in the 90ies.

To US residents who remember the 80ies this always sounds a bit odd- but there was NOBODY like him in the 90ies. He was a force to be reckoned with. To many Europeans Michael was always a solo artist- and neither Off The Wall, nor Thriller had the impact that Bad and Dangerous enjoyed. I remember local magazines around the Dangerous Tour, it was absolute craziness. I remember the posters in Berlin- the hype and excitement. :wild:

Many European fans also remember the 90ies very directly with the Dangerous and HIStory tours. What he meant to the US in the 80ies- he probably eclipsed in Europe and Asia in the 90ies. Total madness.

Just look at the Germany schedule of the HIStory tour alone- that is NUTS. His entire HIStory tour seriously indicates his name must have been more familiar to people than the pope- or at least somewhere in the same universe.
I can only FATHOM his popularity if '93 didn't happen.
Just look at the reception he had in Cannes for the premiere of "Ghosts". For a short movie! Absolutely unparalleled.

I usually look at US views that say he was past his prime after the 80ies like a deer in headlights, just because the Europe that I remember was definitely post Thriller.
And I think there's a reason he arranged for his comeback tour to be happening in a venue located in Europe, despite the US ties of AEG.

Edit: Here was another thread detailing some of the European sentiments of the time.
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/121380-BRAVO-and-their-support-for-Michael

Last edited:
The Grammys 93 is definitely my top favorite MJ moment ever.

Michael was absolutely radiant and so gorgeous,he was very happy,relaxed,confident,so loving with his fans as always,gave an incredible acceptance speech for such a truly prestigious award.I also loved how sweet and playful he was with Janet!!!

Overall,the early 93 era is amazing,my face period of my favorite era.

the Oprah interview,the Super bowl,Grammys,Dangerous AMAs,Soultrain Remember the time...and also my Dave photoshoot of his,the Life Harry Benson sHoot in Neverland.

If only the second half of 1993 was like the first one... : (

So do you think Michael was at the top of his game in terms of fame and popularity at the 93 Grammys!?

Michael had just had his first Major Interview to clear all those rumours and for the world to get to know the real more personal Mike.

A new album (Dangerous) just released
World tour in full swing
The Superbowl

And at the Grammys, a Legend award was given to him and with a great speech from Michael saying things like he's cleansed himself, coming back full of energy - somthing to that effect...

It was all there for him and he had the whole world in the palm of his hands!!!!! I think at that moment that night Michael Jackson was at THE top.
Shame what happend a few months later....
Yes, absolutely.
If only things have taken a different route, Mike would have been truly celebrated. It angers me so much that there were those leeches who wanted to see him fall and destroyed.
I think that at that point he was popular everywhere again. And the Dangerous tour would have made it to the US too.

It was in the late news -22.00-when Michael announced This is it 2009 and another evening they showed him when they were selecting dancers."
Who else have been in the news when they look for dancers?
In the late news they most show wars and other misery
At least 100 outsold shows in London-if Michael hadn´t said no,so many wanted to see him that they considered a world tour

I could believe what he said "the best is yet to come"
If only....he had got a chance

Last edited:
Depends on where you are: in the US the peak of his popularity was Thriller. In Europe it was Bad-Dangerous.

yea, I agree. For me it was Dangerous that got me and all my friends. Remeber everyone going crazy and it was all about Michael. Most of my friends stoped after a while but I kept going, but I was a bit more alone. So yea, end of the 80s and the begining of the 90s was his peak according to me.

His complete and radiant happiness is what I remember most about the '93 Grammys. :yes: So wonderful to see.

I do agree that the Thriller era was the peak of Michaelmania in America, but...he maintained such worldwide appeal throughout his career, there was always an undercurrent of excitement in whatever he did, wherever he went. A steady peak. Does that make sense?

MJ's peak in the US definetly was during Thriller and Bad. However it was always great to see MJ do something never done before even later in his career. Like when Scream became the highest debuting single in Billboard history and then MJ beat his own record with YANA.

I'd have to agree, Grammys 93 wasn't his peak, but he was on his way to climbing back to and surpassing his 80s peak. If I could, I'd live the first half of 1993 over and over again...

You have to think though in '93 Michael has now got the experience of a full world solo tour (Bad) under his belt, experience of producing his first album (Dangerous) without Quincy.

And although I think Michael in the Bad era was the best especially during the Bad tour, Michael was just more complete and even more experienced in '93 !!

His highest peak believe it or not was in 1984. During the victory tour. From then on he was still very famous but not his popularity was never higher than it in 1984. His U.S fame peaked in the early 90s. Especially after the allegations. In Europe his fame continued throughout the 90s.

Back