GRAMMY: 30 Years Later: Michael Jackson's Thrilling GRAMMY Night

mkgenie

Proud Member
79589627_1.jpg

30 Years Later: Michael Jackson's Thrilling GRAMMY Night
A LOOK BACK AT JACKSON'S HISTORIC EIGHT-GRAMMY VICTORY IN 1984 AND THE IMPACT AND LEGACY OF THRILLER

January 21, 2014 -- 3:10 pm PST
By Bruce Britt / GRAMMY.com

They were two musical giants born just months apart in the '50s. As both came of age, they mastered their respective crafts to become synonymous with absolute excellence. On Feb. 28, 1984, Michael Jackson and The Recording Academy took their curiously symbiotic relationship to the next level at the 26th Annual GRAMMY Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles when Jackson won eight GRAMMYs, an unprecedented single-night haul for an artist at that time.

On the cusp of the 30th anniversary of that thrilling night, we look back at what is still considered one of the finest moments in music history. Jackson's record-breaking GRAMMY night was a coup for The Academy as well — the 26th GRAMMY telecast experienced its highest ratings ever with nearly 44 million viewers tuning in. Such was Thriller's commanding grip on the global imagination.

"We knew Michael was going to win everything — I mean, how could he not?" says guitarist Steve Lukather, who played on multiple Thriller tracks. "I remember I brought my little sister to the show because she wanted to meet Michael. He was very nice to her. There was a lot of love backstage, a great buzz."

Thriller engineer Bruce Swedien attended the 26th GRAMMYs with his wife, Bea. "It was very exciting," he recalls. "There was a lot of professional envy that night."

Whether you were a musician or just a regular Joe or Jane in 1984, it was hard not be envious of Jackson. An internationally renowned performer since he was 11, it seemed that Jackson, at age 25, was already taking a career victory lap. He earned eight GRAMMYs in 1984, including Record Of The Year (for "Beat It"), Album Of The Year and Producer Of The Year (Non-Classical), all of which Jackson shared with Thriller co-producer Quincy Jones.

Jackson also nabbed trophies in the Pop, R&B and Rock Fields for his edgy and danceable hit singles "Billie Jean," "Thriller" and "Beat It." Topping Thriller's GRAMMY triumph, Swedien earned the award for Best Engineered Recording, Non-Classical.

Thriller was a one-disc pep pill for the music industry. Fueled by saturated radio play and unprecedented music video exposure, the album was instrumental in making an upstart cable network named MTV a household word. The video for the title track was released Dec. 2, 1983, less than two years after MTV launched, and, at nearly 14 minutes long, became a watershed moment for the music industry for its unprecedented merging of music and film. In addition, Jackson helped usher in the age of the "crossover," where R&B musicians fused funk with chart-friendly pop. Walter Yetnikoff, then-president of CBS Records, touted Jackson's impressive achievement at the 26th GRAMMYs, describing Jackson as "the artist and … the man who has shown us the way in music, and youth, and song, and dance."

But why was Thriller such a creative and sales juggernaut? Swedien believes Jackson's magnum opus was the culmination of his childhood years performing with the Jackson 5, as well as experience earned from solo albums such as Off The Wall, which earned a GRAMMY in 1979 for the single "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough."

"First of all, Michael was a perfectionist," Swedien says. "His vocal ability, his work ethic, his lyric writing ethic — it all was just phenomenal. He would never record without [a] warm-up … and he would never sing with the lights on. He always had it where he would sing in the dark, just so he wouldn't have to rely on reading from a piece of paper.

"Michael would do many, many vocal takes. Usually, Quincy [Jones] would take a break and leave Michael and I to put the takes together. So, if Michael would do, maybe, 20 vocal takes, we'd have the best of all of them, all we had to do was pick which one he thought was the best. We were doing 'Billie Jean' at Westlake Audio in L.A., and we did 91 vocal takes. The final take that went on the album was take two. That gives you an idea of Michael's abilities."

"When we did Thriller … it was vinyl back then, so the technical capacity [was] 19 to 18 minutes to really have a competitive sound with grooves," said Jones in a GRAMMY Living Histories interview in 2008. "'Billie Jean' was 11 minutes long and with 27 minutes on there … it gets all squeezed up in this real tinny sound.

"So after violation of the basic rules, which is not going over 18 or 19 [minutes] per side on vinyl … we got to cut it down. … And Michael said, 'Yeah., but it makes me want to dance.' … And so we had to let him do it his own way. And it came back, and it sounded terrible, [and] Michael started to cry. … So we took out some good songs and put in '[The] Lady [In] My Life,' which we needed for mood, and James [Ingram] and I wrote 'P.Y.T. [Pretty Young Thing]' [plus we had] 'Human Nature' and 'Beat It.' And man, that, together with all of that other stuff, ignited."

Lukather also shared in the success of Thriller, along with his Toto bandmates, keyboardist Steve Porcaro, who co-wrote "Human Nature," and late drummer Jeff Porcaro, who performed on "Beat It" and other tracks.

"The first thing we recorded was 'The Girl Is Mine' with Paul McCartney," Lukather recalls. "That was a big thrill. We did that live in the studio. We were jamming Stevie Wonder songs with these guys, working with childhood heroes. It was incredible."

Jackson's talent for coaxing transcendent performances from his instrumental accompanists is evident on "Beat It," the singer's trailblazing exploration into rock. Though GRAMMY winner Eddie Van Halen performed the song's legendary guitar solo, many may not know that Lukather played the track's bass and rhythm guitar riffs.

"I remember Michael was specific about how he wanted that track to feel, so we worked on it a bit more," Lukather says. "Eddie cut his solo to 2-inch tape, and that messed up the sync. So, Jeff Porcaro and myself had to overdub to Michael's lead voice … and an Eddie Van Halen solo. We had almost nothing to hang on to.

"Being the genius drummer he was, Jeff was able to lock in a rhythm in two takes, so then we had a drum track. I added bass and all the guitar [riffs], then we got together again at Westlake with Quincy and Michael, and finished the bridge thing that leads into Eddie's guitar solo, changing some of the notes so it wasn't so repetitive."

Jackson's insistence on excellence paid off in historic sales and GRAMMY glory. To date, Thriller has sold more than 29 million copies in the United States alone, making it the best-selling album in history. Some 30 years later, Lukather remembers the King of Pop's GRAMMY moment as one of the most memorable events of his career.

"There's big, and then there's ridiculous — this was ridiculous," he says. "We all knew [Thriller] was gonna be huge, but the biggest selling record ever? That's definitely something to tell the great grandkids — 'Yeah, your old man was on the biggest record in history.' That's pretty cool."

http://www.grammy.com/news/30-years-later-michael-jacksons-thrilling-grammy-night

(Bruce Britt is an award-winning journalist and essayist whose work has appeared in The Washington Post, USA Today, San Francisco Chronicle, Billboard, and other publications. He lives in Los Angeles.)

Great stuff. I guess you can really get deeper into your emotions when you sing in the dark, apart from not wanting to read the paper.

As great as that is I can't get over the fact that the Grammys did not acknowledge Michael's HIStory album or Invincible, while all kinds of crap albums by mediocre singers get nominated every single year. Such blatant disregard towards a musical genius and masterpiece albums. They obviously wanted to make some sort of statement...

As great as that is I can't get over the fact that the Grammys did not acknowledge Michael's HIStory album or Invincible, while all kinds of crap albums by mediocre singers get nominated every single year. Such blatant disregard towards a musical genius and masterpiece albums. They obviously wanted to make some sort of statement...

The Grammys have lost credibility a long time ago IMO. This year I just read who the nominees are and that was enough for me to know I'm not interested. (Katy Perry and the like... this is what the Grammys came to.)

I do feel that after Thriller many in the industry wanted to put MJ "back in his place" and they deliberately ignored him no matter what he did.

The Grammys have lost credibility a long time ago IMO. This year I just read who the nominees are and that was enough for me to know I'm not interested. (Katy Perry and the like... this is what the Grammys came to.)
Exactly, first it was MTV, than the Grammys.

I do feel that after Thriller many in the industry wanted to put MJ "back in his place" and they deliberately ignored him no matter what he did.
Many people did! And they were very frustrated that they didn't succeed.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but much like other articles, this one attributes the success of Thriller to its many collaborators and the 'help' Michael received. It explicitly states who wrote what UNLESS they are solo Jackson compositions. Annoying. Although in fairness it doesn't mention Rod either.

29 mio. sure ^^
and the very ^^ competent journalist forget to say that the eagles sold 30 mio ^^, and that it is a fact ^^.

i would have been a horror if she would have won a single grammy.
and it shows that at least on the grammies not every shitty music wins something. she can have her faked charts positions and cheap useless downloads like gaga, but when it comes to awards something like this will not earn honor. not everytime, but most of the time something like gaga and perry get ignored for good reasons.

and all that started with BAD.
normally and logically Michael Jackson would have, no... he have to, 10 grammies more on his account.
and that proves that these award shows does not allways show the reality. its much more like a supermarket.

Last edited:
29 mio. sure ^^
and the very ^^ competent journalist forget to say that the eagles sold 30 mio ^^, and that it is a fact ^^.

What do you mean? I have not seen the Eagles mentioned at all in this article. Plus their Greatest Hits album (I guess that's what you mean) is certified 29x Platinum just like Thriller. US sales of course, because WW Thriller is a lot bigger seller.

the 29 was a mistake.
but i mean that the eagles never sold that 29 mio. proven by soundsacn. they are at maximum 16 or 17 mio.
that also support the other fake that they had 48! certifications between 2000-2010. when mj had 44.
and when there was not that much sold.

and normally if there is no cheating again against michael jackson, Thriller will get the 30 mio certification this year.
cause, on august 21, 2009 it was certificated 29 mio. and 'til that day it was sold 5.366.000 since the beginning of soundscan.
on november 27, 2011 it was 6.032.533.
on july 28, 2013 it was 6.266.491
and that means that it have sold 900.000 copies between august 21,2009 and july 28, 2013.
between 2011 and 2013 it have sold 234.000. averagely it sold 11.700 copies every month. and that means it have sold around 60.000 copies since july 28, 2013.
so he needs 40.000 this year. and i think he will achieve that. :)

Michael may not have won any awards at the 1988 Grammy's but he definitely won the night with his performance

the 29 was a mistake.
but i mean that the eagles never sold that 29 mio. proven by soundsacn. they are at maximum 16 or 17 mio.
that also support the other fake that they had 48! certifications between 2000-2010. when mj had 44.
and when there was not that much sold.

and normally if there is no cheating again against michael jackson, Thriller will get the 30 mio certification this year.
cause, on august 21, 2009 it was certificated 29 mio. and 'til that day it was sold 5.366.000 since the beginning of soundscan.
on november 27, 2011 it was 6.032.533.
on july 28, 2013 it was 6.266.491
and that means that it have sold 900.000 copies between august 21,2009 and july 28, 2013.
between 2011 and 2013 it have sold 234.000. averagely it sold 11.700 copies every month. and that means it have sold around 60.000 copies since july 28, 2013.
so he needs 40.000 this year. and i think he will achieve that. :)

Oh, I understand. I did not analyze whether the Eagles' certifications are correct or not, but I agree that Thriller should be certified 30x Platinum by now.

I was only 7 when this happened and I don't remember much except that I couldn't believe how many times Michael won lol. Never saw that before.

It was an outrage none of Michael's albums got awarded after Thriller. His next albums were much better than Thriller, specially Dangerous and HIStory. BAD and HIStory deserved to win album of the year, not Joshua Tree and Jagged Little Pill. In 1988 the Grammys lost credibility in my eyes but it's nice no one else has beaten Michael's record.

That was a wonderful night. To hear his name being called over and over and he stood shyly with his awards in his arms--too too cute and sexy.

I have never gotten over what happened to Bad, but that is another thread.

i'm sure if everything would have went the correct way, bad, dangerous and history would have won 5-7 grammy for each album.

I watched a bit of the Grammy's this year and got bored straight away lol. It's just a hot mess these days.

Lol that's what my mom and grandma said. I knew that as soon as we watched the 2014 Grammys, some memories would come up. Oh my gosh, my mom was like, "I remember back in 1984, everyone from my neighborhood was at our house, with the food and drinks set up, watching the Grammys and cheering Michael on everytime he won like we were watching a Superbowl. And then at school the next day EVERYBODY spent most of the school day talking about how cool he was."

I was like..heeeeeey! :D And then my dad said all of the kids he knew were saying how Michael was "THE Man." lol he said he and his friends were trying to be like Michael because that's who the girls they knew wanted.. :shifty:

And my grandma practically fangirled like she was 25 again with me when we watched the video on youtube. :wub:

Xo you write the best first hand accounts^^. The way you explained what happened in your house, brings up a very vivid picture. Those were the good old days!!!

Xo you write the best first hand accounts^^. The way you explained what happened in your house, brings up a very vivid picture. Those were the good old days!!!

Aww, thank you! :blush: and definitely, those were the good old days. I wish I was 15 during 1984 instead of now...this generation has no substance

Back