Graffiti art (helps) preserves Jackson legacy

MsMo

Proud Member
By Deborah Laverty

4deadb02ba6ac.image.jpg
4dead90469d84.image.jpg

GARY | Gerry Guevara deftly used spray paint to put the final touches on a side of a wall portrait of a young Michael Jackson.

Guevara, who calls himself a graffiti or aerosol artist, said he and four other artists Saturday memorialized Jackson nearly two years after his death. He died June 25, 2009, in California.

The mural, expected to be completed today, is being painted with a variety of designs and bright colors on the east side of a tire repair shop at Fifth Avenue and Ralston Street.

"I figure this is the best place to do the mural in the city where Michael was born," Guevara said.

Guevara said it's also appropriate to portray the King of Pop's early years, when he was a member of The Jackson Five, since that was nearer the time he and his family had lived in Gary.

The music The Jackson Five produced is Guevara's favorite time period of Michael Jackson.

"I liked him when he was with The Jackson Five and remember hearing the music when I was in grade school," Guevara said.

In addition to paying tribute to the Gary native, the mural is a way to brighten up a dull corner and also can educate the public about graffiti artists.

"Some people confuse graffiti with gangs, but this is entirely different. We're not claiming territory," Guevara said.

On another portion of the wall, Jason Aguirre, of Hammond, completed his work -- a depiction of Michael Jackson's TV cartoon character.

"I like doing a lot of cartoons," Aguirre said.

Graffiti artist Ish Muhammad, who like the other artists always signs his work, said his part will include doing a lot of the background.

He compared the gathering Saturday of the graffiti artists to a group of friends getting together to play a round of golf.

Although there is camaraderie among the artists, there is also a feeling of competition as to who can do the best.

"We're trying to beat each other," Muhammad said.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/gary/article_4cbcfa91-0037-5e5a-88fd-eceaae228324.html

Come on graffiti artists give us an MJ image in each city of the world, that's quite a challenge huh :D

Come on graffiti artists give us an MJ image in each city of the world, that's quite a challenge huh :D

Absolutely...If contacts for Banksy, Mr Brainwash et. al. are reading this...go to it! The bigger the better!

The ones in Gary (above ) are great! Thank you for posting.

Wow! Thats cool... I remember seeing lots of these in LA around the time of the memorial service... will see if I can find the pics x

Wow, that is so awesome! I love it. I hope to see one in my city someday! That'd be amazing.

Back