Gracenote: MJ is “most popular act of digital age”

Xtarlight and Mpenziwe

Proud Member
Michael Jackson is “most popular act of digital age”

09:51 | Monday April 4, 2011

By Eamonn Forde

Data from Gracenote has revealed Michael Jackson is the most popular act of the digital age.

Alley Insider spoke to Gracenote about the type of music users are searching for and listening to online, based on its metadata.

It found that Michael Jackson was the artist most looked up on Gracenote's database, followed by Bob Marley and Tupac Shakur.

Gracenote's metadata covers artist names, album and song titles as well as sleeve artwork and the company say it is used in “billions of searches” a month on services like iTunes, Google lyric searches and Sony products. (Sony acquired Gracenote in 2009.)

The company added The Beatles were popular in Europe and North America but did not appear high in Data for the rest of the world.

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1044787&c=1

it just proves that real music is eternal and always in demand.

Well, theres something not OK..., is there any list of the artists?
It has to be confirmed by other sources... not only by Gracenote.

Well, theres something not OK..., is there any list of the artists?
It has to be confirmed by other sources... not only by Gracenote.

?? It's from Gracenote's own data, so the only source is going to be them.

Ain't NOBODY BAD like Mike :cheeky:

What does this mean exactly? I am reading in another thread that Taylor Swift is the most downloaded artist and digital sales. I am confusing the two here? I am confused.

Awesome.
Michael's the best. Period. Always will be. :)

By Eamonn Forde

Data from Gracenote has revealed Michael Jackson is the most popular act of the digital age.

Alley Insider spoke to Gracenote about the type of music users are searching for and listening to online, based on its metadata.

It found that Michael Jackson was the artist most looked up on Gracenote's database, followed by Bob Marley and Tupac Shakur.

Gracenote's metadata covers artist names, album and song titles as well as sleeve artwork and the company say it is used in “billions of searches” a month on services like iTunes, Google lyric searches and Sony products. (Sony acquired Gracenote in 2009.)

The company added The Beatles were popular in Europe and North America but did not appear high in Data for the rest of the world.

OK, guys, I know its tiring but add comments against such morons, we have to fight for MJ:
Michael Jackson is really overrated in my opinion. He is most famous for his 'Moonwalk'. He cannot sing very well, does not sing in many musical genres - no country, rock 'n' roll, R & B, gospel, Christmas, calypso or jazz - JUST POP. He never really matured and appealed to a mainly youthful audience. His private life was very controversial. He was not good looking and hyped beyond recognition. I would NEVER buy one of his records and I firmly believe his memory will be virtually forgotten in 10-15 years time.

http://www.sodahead.com/entertainme...gest-act-of-the-digital-age/question-1648355/

OK, guys, I know its tiring but add comments against such morons, we have to fight for MJ:

http://www.sodahead.com/entertainme...gest-act-of-the-digital-age/question-1648355/

Who cares what someone else wrote on another forum in a comment? Especially from someone as ignorant as this person who says Michael never sang R&B (I guess all his Grammys in R&B categories were for singing bubble gum pop then) . No comment....

Why do you bring here every negative cr*p of an opinion? I just noticed you like to do it a lot.

Last edited:
Who cares what someone else wrote on another forum in a comment?

Why do you bring here every negative cr*p of an opinion? I just noticed you like to do it a lot.

Oh please, stop it, dont you read what I ask for? Dont misrepresent me...

add comments against such morons, we have to fight for MJ
Ok, if you dont care, I DO! (in contrast to you)

Oh please, stop it, dont you read what I ask for? Dont misrepresent me...

Ok, if you dont care, I DO! (in contrast to you)

Then answer to him on that board. But why to copy here this particular opinion? I have to say it's very odd because you like to copy here negative articles and opinions about Michael a lot. As far as I'm concerned everybody is entitled to their opinion and if they don't like Michael they won't like him just because I tell them to like him.

The news is about how Michael is the most popular artist of the digital age. Can we focus on that, instead of picking up negative opinions about him from some irrelevant message boards? No artist is loved by everybody. I have heard people say how Elvis and the Beatles are overrated (and I personally agree with Elvis being overrated). So what? That won't change the fact they are among the most popular artists of all time. Same with Michael. This news only confirms this, whether someone personally likes him or not.

I could blow up everything right now, but I'm not bothered.. at least not yet.

a longer article

While the likes of Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber slug it out over how many 'likes' they get on YouTube and Rebecca Black struggles to be remembered just weeks after viral dominance, the late Michael Jackson has emerged as the most popular artist of the digital age.

According to data gathered from Gracenote, the late King of Pop is the most looked-up artist on their database -- and he's managed to knock Bob Marley and Tupac Shakur into second and third place respectively.

Music Week reports that Gracenote's metadata is used to compile artist, album, song title and artwork searches across numerous services such as iTunes and Google -- and Jackson remains the most searched-for artist almost two years after his death.

Gracenote added that The Beatles ranked highly in Europe and North America but failed to reach the same search levels in areas beyond those territories. Jackson's placing is hardly surprising. Given the volume of media attention in the wake of his death and the fact that the story is yet to reach closure, his high ranking is assured for some time to come.

Source: AOL Music

Xtarlight and Mpenziwe;3326724 said:
Michael Jackson is “most popular act of digital age”

By Eamonn Forde

MICHAEL JACKSON IS THE ETERNAL KING OF MUSIC AND HE RULES FOREVER!!!:yes::woohoo::sarmoti:kickass::jump1::clap::cheers:

Back