Going to London, need some help!

Jenny_MJforever

Proud Member
hello everyone :)

i got a trip to london from my parents this xmas and i'm so excited! im planning to go around the 25th of june so i can meet some fans, beacuse i dont think i will get through that day on my own....

anyway, now i need some help by someone who lives in the UK or someone who knows something about london, beacuse i have no clue where to live or what to do. i have been looking at hotels around oxford street, near soho. is that a good area to live in? i want to live pretty central so i can access everything. and i will probably have a 'tourist-day' to see big ben and all that, so i dont want to live that far from that either.

and i really dont know what to do there, other than shopping on oxford street (any other good places to shop? i've heard about camden market, is that any good?) and i'm gonna visit madame tussauds so i can see michaels dolls.. its probably as close as i can get to him now :( but any other things i should do while being in london? of cource i will visit the o2 arena, but i dont know where it is located.

and i would like to go out to some pubs or something, what is the age limit to them?

hope someone could help me, thanks :)

Jenny

hi there, well as someone who lives in London, I can probally answer most of your questions.

first thing I would suggest though, if its not too painful is to check out my thread called moonstreets all you need to know about London and The O2. This was a thread which was created to help all the international fans travelling to London for the concerts in The O2. Its probally in the archives of MJJC somewhere. It has tons of info about locations of hotels, the public travel systems etc.

Other than that, ask away, as I most likely can help with most of the planning of your trip

Haha, moonstreet has helped me many a time with London questions! :D She is the one to ask!

Glad to see you're getting further with your planned trip to London Jenny! :D Best thing for you to do is get an "All-zones Travel Card" which gives you unlimited use of Trains, Underground, buses & DLR within the London travel zones. Look forward to meeting you when you get to my home city :D

moonstreet, thank you, i will go and check out your thread! It should be in the O2 concerts section right?

and stephen, i look forward to meet you too! :)

We look forward to seeing you. I'm in London all the time so feel free to ask me anything but Moonstreet literally covered everything in her thread. The o2 is really easy to access by Tube so no need to worry about that. I'm sure something will be organised for the 25th, what it is yet I do not know. I already have that week booked off work as there is no way I could do it without the support of my fellow fans and friends. So excited to meet you!

oh i look forward to meet you too sloride :)

i didnt find your thread moonstreet, but i'll go and check for it again.

i have been looking at hotels around russel square and streets near oxford street, since i will probably go shopping there and stuff. any other area of london i could look at? i wanna live pretty central so i dont have far to the tourists sights and the shopping streets. does london have a main street or whatever its called?

yeah i found it, thank you very much! it had some great tips :)

but i have a question. i am choosing between two hotels now. one near russel square and one on Sussex gardens. they are on different sides of oxford street, and i dont know which one is better? on what i'm going to choose depends on where it is nearest to the shopping, easiest way to get to O2, easiest to get on the train and buses so the travelling will go as smooth as possible and where i am closest to all the different turist atractions such as big ben and so on. i hope someone can help me:)

the hotel in sussex gardens which is your nearest tube is it paddington?. tbh where ever you are in central london its easy to get everywhere. russell is easier to get to the 02 as u are nearer to it on the tube map.and its abit nearer the main tourist bits of covent garden etc on the tube map and is abit more central than paddington. id pic russell.

okay, i think i'm going with russel square then. thank you :)

another question (but forget i asked it haha) aheem... i'm travelling with a friend who is under 18... can she go out to pubs anyway? is it easy to sneak in? :ninja:

okay, i think i'm going with russel square then. thank you :)

another question (but forget i asked it haha) aheem... i'm travelling with a friend who is under 18... can she go out to pubs anyway? is it easy to sneak in? :ninja:

She can go into pubs but cannot buy alcohol. If you are over 16 you can have one small glass of wine with a meal but that's it. Just be careful though on Friday and Saturday nights as some pubs will not allow anyone under 18 in at all during the evening after a certain time. Make sure you carry ID on you for yourself as pubs will ID you if you look under 21. They will also ID you if you look under 25 if you are buying alcohol from a supermarket. If you wanted to go into a club its a no go as no one under the age of 18 is allowed in and they will ID you. I'm 23 and I still get ID'd. With ID you need to bring a passport or driving licence-no other forms will be accepted.

yeah the general rule is u can go in pubs as an under 18.but some dont allow under 18s in at all even if they arent drinking but thats not many.so if u just want to in a pub during the day with you friend for something to eat for example then u will be fine. but yeah nightclubs and pubs at night they wont get in. better off spending time in a restaurant in the evening. drunk british ppl and nightclubs/pubs at night isnt a pretty sight!

oh okay thanks guys. we arent planning to go to any clubs or anything, we just thought it would be nice if we could sit in a pub at night just talking and stuff.

i've found a hotel called president, who is located on russel square, anyone heard something about it? not sure if i'm going to stay there, it just seems pretty okay :)

thank you so much, i'll check that site! i really cant afford a four star hotel, so i just need to find something where it isnt too filthy and still has a great location. that hotel seems to be pretty okay.

i really hope there will be some sort of fan gathering on the 25th of june when i'm there. i think it would be weird if it wasnt anything done for the fans actually. anyone knows if that tribute show jermaine is doing ever will happen?

oh and btw, is it worth buying tickets to madame tussauds? i heard it was very expensive and really the only dolls i wanna see is michaels.

I would say stay at mine in west london but a) my fiancee wouldn't really approve :p b) my room is a tip right now and c) i'd be working as well :(

I would say stay at mine in west london but a) my fiancee wouldn't really approve :p b) my room is a tip right now and c) i'd be working as well :(

aww, how sweet of you stephen :) even if we wont stay at your house i promise we will see eachother :)! i hope to meet alot of mjjc'ers!

well, now the only thing left is to book the trip. that will probably happen next week. yay!

Back