Gizmodo's Review: "The Michael Jackson Movie Is Kinda Good"

MJJ:G.O.A.T

Proud Member
The Michael Jackson Movie Is Kinda Good

500x_Screen_shot_2009-11-04_at_6.11.34_PM.jpg

By Brian Lam
Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not going to admit I teared up a bit when Michael Jackson sung The Way You Make Me Feel in this movie. Let's talk about the tech for a bit.

I didn't know this, because I live in a bubble, but Michael Jackson was only 8 days away from doing a 50 show tour, the first in a decade, when he died. This movie, "This is It" is a cool documentary behind the scenes of the prep ahead of that tour. Since it never happened, it's all we have left of the performer. MJ has always been experimental. This documentary isn't the greatest but it's quite moving to watch the production occur in rough with rough and often amazing performances by the late star. And yes, there was enough tech to keep the Gizmodo sector of my brain engaged.

There were some big pyrotechnics, but I'm not sure they were bigger than the ones that burn down theaters or those used at hair rock band shows that play in football stadiums. There was a cherrypicker that seemed pretty nice, but no big. Same for the toaster-like human poppers that sent people flying into the air like some weird contraption you'd find in a Mario Brothers game in an alternate reality. There was even a display wrapped robot that Michael would emerge from and some light-laced costumes for when Michael sung Billy Jean. All ok, and interesting but my favorite was seeing the refilmed videos, which were to be played in the background while they were being sung. Thriller was redone in a faux cemetery and in 3D (like Captain EOS). And Smooth Criminal green screened Michael into an old mobster flick. The Way You Make Me Feel didn't have a filmed segment but a sunset gotham-like skyline as seen through a lattice of iron girders with workers snapping slowly to tempo and climbing down when the song begins. The entire difference between the live and the recorded numbers are that Michael would improvise ever so slightly on catchphrases, and play with the melody, teasing out the pieces by not giving us the exact songs we remember, which at the same time would keep them fresh. He also goes through some old Jackson 5 songs, and it cannot be overstated that the musical numbers are all lifted from live rehearsal, so really fresh. You see Michael Jackson calling the shots on music composition, sets, dances, performance and as he relates to his coworkers the same as any boss, you are reminded of his talent, and in reflection, of our loss that came with his early death. Especially when he dances.

What I'm trying to say is that when you take away the pop and the celebrity scandal, what you're left with is a weird genius. Sort of a geek.

Anyhow, Thriller was my first album, so I enjoyed this movie. Maybe you will, too.

lol it's really hard to be critic.. especially when you have to be a professional and act like all knowing but come off as an idiot... ROFL captain EOS :lol:

I guess they can't froth at the mouth too much. they'd lose their jobs :rolleyes:

at least he called him a "geek". high praise indeed!! :D

He thinks its "kinda" good....is he nuts?! :blink: :lol:

Well he has too much ego he can and never will be Like Michael so he has to say some not so good things. Loser!! lol

Well, come on guys, he could have said he hated it, not everybody on earth is a Michael Jackson fan and was deadly waiting for that movie.

I like the honesty of this review, this person isn't a fan, didn't know he was preparing for 50 shows but still enjoyed the movie.

What's wrong about being honest now?

Well, come on guys, he could have said he hated it, not everybody on earth is a Michael Jackson fan and was deadly waiting for that movie.

I like the honesty of this review, this person isn't a fan, didn't know he was preparing for 50 shows but still enjoyed the movie.

I agree...I think that it was a pretty good review, except for the misspelling of "Billy Jean...hehe...and Captain EOS" that's pretty funny...

Usually from what I've seen on Gizmodo their articles on Mike are kind of iffy and the comment box becomes really nasty and hateful. So I was a bit surprised by this one since the article was alright (some might find the weird genius bit offensive but you guys have to remember they are just vomiting back what they've been fed by the media) and the comments (at the time I posted it I haven't checked back) were praising the movie.

Well, he could have gotten his fact straight then.

Back