George Zimmerman verdict: Zimmerman found not guilty in shooting death of Trayvon Martin

qbee

Proud Member
George Zimmerman verdict: Zimmerman found not guilty in shooting death of Trayvon Martin, activists blast outcome

The verdict was a stunning end to a more than year-long drama that began on a rainy night when Zimmerman encountered 17-year-old Trayvon walking through his town house complex in Sanford, Fla.

article-zimmerman3-0713.jpg
CNN

George Zimmerman smiles after being found not guilty of second-degree murder just before 10 p.m in Sanford, Fla.. Saturday. He was accused in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

A Florida jury found George Zimmerman not guilty Saturday night in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — triggering a storm of outrage among civil rights activists.

The 29-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer barely reacted after the verdict was read at 9:59 p.m.
His face nearly blank, Zimmerman merely shook the hands of one of his lawyers. It wasn’t until three minutes later that he cracked a smile.

usa-florida-shooting.jpg

Reuters George Zimmerman's family celebrates after the jury found him not guilty in the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Outside the Seminole County Courthouse, supporters of Martin’s family cried out, “No! No!”
The Rev. Al Sharpton blasted the verdict, calling it a “slap in the face to those who believe in justice.”
“I think that this is an atrocity,” he added. “It is probably one of the worst situations that I have seen.”
173418370.jpg

Getty Images George Zimmerman leaves the courtroom a free man after being found not guilty.

RELATED: ZIMMERMAN VERDICT FAIR IF UNSATISFYING
“We are outraged and heartbroken over today’s verdict,” said NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous, vowing to pursue civil rights charges with the Department of Justice.

The verdict means Zimmerman escapes a lengthy prison sentence but still faces a likely civil suit for gunning down the unarmed black teenager.

neighborhood-watch.jpg

AP Photo Darrsie Jackson (center) reacts after hearing the verdict of not guilty in the trial of George Zimmerman with her children Linzey Stafford(left), 10, and Shauntina Stafford, 11.

It brings a stunning end to a more than year-long drama that began on a rainy night when Zimmerman encountered young Trayvon walking through the teen’s townhouse complex in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26, 2012.
Trayvon, dressed in a hooded sweatshirt, was returning from a 7—Eleven where he purchased a package of Skittles and an Arizona fruit drink.

Zimmerman could have been convicted of second-degree murder or manslaughter.
usa-zimmerman-trial-verdict.jpg

EPA Demonstrators react Saturday to the not guilty verdict in the trial of George Zimmerman outside the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center in Sanford, Fla.

The verdict was handed down by a panel of six women that included just one minority member — but also five mothers. The jurors deliberated for more than 16 hours over two days, rendering a verdict that brought the Zimmerman family to tears. Several family members were still hugging each other as the ashen-faced prosecutors stormed out of the courtroom.

PHOTOS: TRAYVON MARTIN'S DEATH SPARKS NATIONAL OUTRAGE
Martin’s parents were not present for the verdict. But they bared their heartbreak in messages posted on Twitter.

173418263.jpg

Scott Olson/Getty Images Tanetta Foster breaks into tears in front of the Seminole County Criminal Justice Center after learning George Zimmerman had been found not guilty in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

“Lord during my darkest hour I lean on you,” wrote Sybrina Fulton. “You are all that I have. At the end of the day, GOD is still in control. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I will love you forever Trayvon!!!”
“Even though I am broken hearted my faith is unshattered I WILL ALWAYS LOVE MY BABY TRAY,” Martin’s father, Tracy, tweeted.
Prosecutors were restrained in their reaction.

article-zimmerman4-0713.jpg
CNN

Defense attorney Don West celebrates with George Zimmerman's mother, Gladys, after her son is found not guilty of second-degree murder.

“I’m disappointed,” prosecutor Bernie De La Rondia said, “but we accept the jury’s verdict.”
Zimmerman’s defense team expressed muted joy at a post-verdict news conference.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-found-guilty-article-1.1398176#ixzz2Z2SCmF8T

Another perspective

George Zimmerman jury reached right verdict

July 14, 2013|Beth Kassab, Local News Columnist

Like it or not, the jury got this one right.

Nobody wants to see two parents who already lost their teenage son also lose out on what they saw as justice.

As painful as it may be, though, acquitting George Zimmerman was the only verdict the jury could logically reach.

The state simply didn't prove second-degree murder. Or manslaughter.

As much as I don't like many of the choices Zimmerman made the night he killed Trayvon, the evidence presented at trial gave way to more than one reasonable doubt about Zimmerman's guilt.

The jury believed Zimmerman's claim of self-defense.

A lot of people didn't see it that way.

They saw Zimmerman as the man who should be held accountable for tipping the first in a series of dominoes that led to 17-year-old Trayvon's death early last year.

Zimmerman made the wrong assumptions about Trayvon Martin, but he didn't break any laws by calling police to report Trayvon as suspicious.

He didn't use good judgment, but he didn't violate any laws by following Trayvon, either.

And you can say Zimmerman didn't need to stick a gun in his waistband when he decided to get in his truck and drive to Target that night, but he had a legal permit for a concealed firearm.

The state couldn't prove that Zimmerman started the fight between him and Trayvon.

But without a doubt it was Zimmerman who was losing. His nose was bloodied and broken. His head was cut and bruised.

Trayvon had barely a scratch, until the gunshot that killed him.

Some might have seen manslaughter as a compromise verdict.

But a manslaughter conviction would have been no compromise for George Zimmerman.

It's hard to imagine that, with a 29-year-old man's life hanging in the balance, the jury of six women could reach a verdict rooted in conciliation instead of the facts.

Verdicts aren't meant to placate.

We must accept that this jury reached a not-guilty verdict because jurors believed Zimmerman was in fear of his own life when he shot Trayvon.

Self-defense laws — "stand your ground" aside — are strong in Florida, where concealed-weapons permits nearly outnumber palm trees.

And there was plenty of evidence to show the fight between Zimmerman and Trayvon went down close to, if not exactly, as Zimmerman said it did.

As demonstrators gathered at the courthouse while the jury was deliberating inside, we were reminded how viscerally people reacted to this case.

Trayvon's death became a symbol for people who feel they are unfairly judged on appearance.

The case morphed into something much bigger than a fight between two people, with the worst of consequences. It became a modern assessment on equal justice and fairness in Florida's criminal-justice system.

Florida's record is marred when it comes to doling out justice. Men wrongfully convicted by prejudice or junk science have later been freed after serving long prison terms. That same bigotry played out in police departments that haven't always given crimes against black victims the attention they deserved.

But Zimmerman wasn't on trial for this state's historical and institutional wrongs.

He was charged with the second-degree murder of Trayvon Martin. And the proof for that charge just wasn't there.

But justice isn't about what I think. It's about what those six women on the jury decided.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-07-14/news/os-george-zimmerman-verdict-beth-kassab-20130713_1_george-zimmerman-17-year-old-trayvon-zimmerman-and-trayvon

I don´t remember details about what supposed happened but did Zimmerman find Trayvon suspicious, called the police and followed Trayvon?
Why didn´t Zimmerman keep the distance and wait for the police to come?
It reminds me of the lines in Scream Michael had to remove about the suspected robber who was killed by the police.He was innocent, black and 18 years.

Is it selfdefence if Trayvonhad had known he was followed, hit his follower who fell and hit the head on the ground and then died?
Zimmeman wasn´t found guilty, I suppose he can keep his weapon.
When will he be scared next time and think he need to defend himself?
It´s so sad.:(

The fact that Zimmerman was told not to follow him should trump the matter of who started the fight. Even if it, for the sake of argument, Trayvon started the fight with Zimmerman, wouldn't it be his defense against this strange man following him? He was unarmed. There is no reason to believe that Zimmerman's life was ever in danger. No mater how you spin it, shooting him was totally unnecessary.

Lark

MIST;3867843 said:
I don´t remember details about what supposed happened but did Zimmerman find Trayvon suspicious, called the police and followed Trayvon?
Why didn´t Zimmerman keep the distance and wait for the police

He was told by police NOT to follow Trayvon and he did anyway. This is why anything that went down after that is Zimmerman's fault. He was the armed individual. You have to have a reason to think someone is suspicious before you go after them.

For example, I work in an airport. I can deny boarding to a person if I have a reason. If I say "He mumbled through the check in process, and in the boarding lounge he kept his hood up and his hands in his pockets". That is NOT suspicious. But if I smell alcohol on his breath, if he is verbally abusive, or disturbing other people in the boarding lounge, THAT is a reason. You don't get to just decide that someone is suspicious just because you want them to be. The first thing the police will ask you is WHAT is suspicious about them

In this case, Zimmerman's answer is "He's black".

From a European point of view (I have not followed this closely) : Real gun control. It's much much needed in the US when you compare deaths by gunshot wounds to other comparable countries, such as Europe.

It's such as sad story.

I'll keep Trayvon and his family in my thoughts.

From a European point of view (I have not followed this closely) : Real gun control. It's much much needed in the US when you compare deaths by gunshot wounds to other comparable countries, such as Europe.

It's such as sad story.

I'll keep Trayvon and his family in my thoughts.

That's the root of the problem. Legally speaking, this verdict may have been the right one but that is only because the self-defense and stand-your-ground laws in some US states are insane. George Zimmerman had no business following an unarmed teenager, especially when a 911 dispatcher told him not to. Heck, George Zimmerman had no business walking around with a concealed weapon when he was just going to Target even though that's his "right". We do not know what exactly took place prior to the fight because we only have Zimmerman's account. Perhaps he provoked Trayvon to react as aggressively as he did; perhaps Trayvon acted in self-defense as he felt threatened by an adult who followed and confronted him? We do know that Zimmerman's injuries were not life-threatening and we know he was the one carrying a gun, whereas all Trayvon was carrying were Skittles and ice tea. The prosecution in this case has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman acted with ill intent or that he did not fear for his life when he fired that shot, so in that sense the acquittal is justified. Still, it just doesn't seem right that someone can kill an unarmed teenager and get away with it. This is what happens when so many people walk around with concealed weapons: the violence escalates. If Zimmerman hadn't had his gun with him, it's unlikely that he would've had the courage to pursue Trayvon in the first place but even if he did, at least no one would've been killed. I do wonder about the implications of the outcome of this case. Is it now legal to follow anyone that you find "suspicious", pick a fight and when it's not going well for you, shoot the person?

Also, you cannot tell me race wasn't a factor here. I don't believe for a second that Zimmerman would've been equally suspicious of Trayvon had he been white. And I also don't believe the defense (and Zimmerman supporters in general) would have been so eager to portray Trayvon as a "thug" just because he smoked pot and was suspended from school. Racism is still a very real problem and this case further demonstrates that.

Imagine if Trayvon was your brother/son and you found out he died because someone thought he was "suspicious" looking.

Everything is so wrong about this.

Tom Mesereau is one of the talking heads on CNN. Every appearance he cites the Conrad Murray, 2005 trials. Mostly about overreaching prosecutors, media bias etc. And brillantly advocates MJ innocent.

Last edited:
That's the root of the problem. Legally speaking, this verdict may have been the right one but that is only because the self-defense and stand-your-ground laws in some US states are insane. George Zimmerman had no business following an unarmed teenager, especially when a 911 dispatcher told him not to. Heck, George Zimmerman had no business walking around with a concealed weapon when he was just going to Target even though that's his "right". We do not know what exactly took place prior to the fight because we only have Zimmerman's account. Perhaps he provoked Trayvon to react as aggressively as he did; perhaps Trayvon acted in self-defense as he felt threatened by an adult who followed and confronted him? We do know that Zimmerman's injuries were not life-threatening and we know he was the one carrying a gun, whereas all Trayvon was carrying were Skittles and ice tea. The prosecution in this case has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmerman acted with ill intent or that he did not fear for his life when he fired that shot, so in that sense the acquittal is justified. Still, it just doesn't seem right that someone can kill an unarmed teenager and get away with it. This is what happens when so many people walk around with concealed weapons: the violence escalates. If Zimmerman hadn't had his gun with him, it's unlikely that he would've had the courage to pursue Trayvon in the first place but even if he did, at least no one would've been killed. I do wonder about the implications of the outcome of this case. Is it now legal to follow anyone that you find "suspicious", pick a fight and when it's not going well for you, shoot the person?

Also, you cannot tell me race wasn't a factor here. I don't believe for a second that Zimmerman would've been equally suspicious of Trayvon had he been white. And I also don't believe the defense (and Zimmerman supporters in general) would have been so eager to portray Trayvon as a "thug" just because he smoked pot and was suspended from school. Racism is still a very real problem and this case further demonstrates that.

Very good post. In Europe Zimmerman would go to jail, no doubt, but on American law this could actually be the right verdict. It's just the laws that are wrong.

Thanks for this post.

Can you or someone else explain with simple words what the relevant Florida laws are , about self defense and "stand your ground" law ?
i've read about it a little, it sounds cazy, but I'm not sure I got it right, and about the "stand your ground" law as it is in Florida, I'm not sure how it applied in this case, if it aplies at all.

thanks

I agree with Tom Messereau that they overreached with the charges-they should have gone with involuntary manslaughter or reckless endangerment and he probably would have been convicted. Both of those could be proven. But the jury instructions said that at the MOMENT Zimmerman pulled out his gun, did he fear for his life-at the moment, he probably did-Trayvon was beating him up and he was probably terrified. (both of them were, I'm sure-they could have both claimed self defense. But since it was only that very moment that mattered and nothing that happened to lead up to WHY Trayvon was beating himcould be considered. That's the sad part. Total injustice in my opinion.

The Stand Your Ground laws have really got to be changed, in my opinion. Here in Texas, just like Florida, we have the Castle Law which means you have the right to shoot anyone who is on your property, threatening your life or your family-in your home, etc. But after the 2004 elections a lot of states expanded the laws (inc FL) and said that right was also for protecting yourself on the street if you were attacked, etc. That might have looked good on paper, but all that happened is that people instigating fights (road rage in particular) and someone shoots and kills the other person and claims "stand your ground". I read in Time Magazine that the number of people arrested and charged for manslaughter in these kind of cases went from 1500 a year to about 5. Something is really wrong with that picture.

Last edited:
What i dont understand is how in the heck could trayvon beat zimmerman up so badly as zimmerman claims? I have seen pics of trayvon and he doesnlt look strong enough to beat zimmerman up so can someone explain THAT to me!

Stop scratching your heads. Just watch the tape of Juror-B37 playing on CNN Anderson Cooper. From the get go lawyer Mark Geragos said " this trial was over at jury selection." And he is 100% correct. Trayvon's fate was sealed before this trial even started.

This is the Juror that signed a book deal w/her lawyer husband. The backlash is so severe, the book is canceled.

Last edited:
To me, as an European, this verdict is outrageous. Something has to be done with these US laws. There are lots of psychopaths and paranoid people out there (or just simple racists, as I think, in this case, race played an important card) who can kill anyone and then claim they were scared for their lives. That's just not right.

I don't blame the protesters heard what they don't want and I agree with them, he should be in prison for killing poor Trayvon. Amercian justice system fails and California's justice sysetm is a prime example of why the justice systems are so corrupted.

I just read that gnarles barkley says he agress with the verdict....wow im shocked

To me, as an European, this verdict is outrageous. Something has to be done with these US laws. There are lots of psychopaths and paranoid people out there (or just simple racists, as I think, in this case, race played an important card) who can kill anyone and then claim they were scared for their lives. That's just not right.

I tried to read a little about the case, and yes, from a European point of view- but also for many Americans- it's incredibly shocking.

I think he would have been convicted here, because he started the situation by following Trayvon. Trayvon was understandably frightened, who wouldn't be ? If he still decided to follow him, then at the very least he should have told Trayvon he was on neighborhood watch. According to his own version, Zimmerman apparently did not even give him a chance.

I thought at first he was acquitted because it was not clear who started the fight, I mean the physical fight.

Apparently the jurors - according to juror b37 - had to make a decision only about the moment when Zimmerman shot, and disregard the events leading to to the gunshot.

Sorry, but how can that get more crazy ? I had to read that 3 times from 3 different sources to begin to believe it.

Those "stand your ground" laws are crazy also. If you are able to escape the situation, you just do, even if you are the victim. It's still better than taking a life, and life should come first. What if you are attacked by a mentally sick person ? is it OK to just kill them / or hurt them instead of walking away ?

This kind of laws in states where a lot of people own weapons.......

Scary.

And also I watched a little bit of Rachel Jeantel's testimony. I had to stop during cross because I coudn't stand Don West's attitude to her. I nearly slapped my computer. How is that kind of behavior even allowed in a courtroom ?

So now we have scary and sad.

Last edited:
Herman Wallace shouldn't have to die behind bars.

Herman is 71 years old and has advanced liver cancer. He and fellow prisoner Albert Woodfox have been held in solitary confinement longer than anyone else in modern U.S. history. The men have spent the past 41 years of their lives alone in tiny cells for 23 hours a day, deprived of any meaningful human interaction.

No human being deserves to live like this. Herman Wallace should not die alone.

Urge Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal to release Herman Wallace.

Why wouldn't Louisiana officials simply release an elderly prisoner with advanced cancer on humanitarian grounds? Evidence suggests that it is in part because Herman dared to organize and speak out against inhumane treatment and racial segregation inside one of United States' most brutal prisons.

Herman Wallace and Albert Woodfox are the two imprisoned members of the 'Angola 3', three young black men who were thrown in solitary confinement after working against continued segregation, systematic corruption, and grave abuses in the infamous Angola prison. Originally imprisoned for unrelated cases of armed robbery, Herman and Albert were later convicted for the murder of a prison guard in 1972. However, no physical evidence links either man to the murder.

In the decades since Herman and Albert's conviction, numerous legal concerns have risen to the surface from the racially charged underbelly of the U.S. prison system. These are just a few glaring flaws we documented in our report ‘100 Years in Solitary: The 'Angola 3' and their Fight for Justice'1:

DNA evidence that might have established the men's innocence was somehow "lost"
Outcomes were based on questionable inmate testimony
Prison officials bribed the main eyewitness
One witness later retracted his testimony
Prison authorities have broken their own policies to justify Herman's continued incarceration in harsh and inhumane conditions. After decades in these conditions, a highly questionable conviction that continues to be challenged by the courts and the now a tragic prognosis of terminal cancer, the next step seems all too clear: Herman Wallace should be released.

Help begin to correct more than 40 years of injustice right now - call on Louisiana's Governor Bobby Jindal to release Herman Wallace immediately.

In Solidarity,

Jasmine Heiss
Amnesty International USA

P.S. Please join us in reminding the two men that we are standing with them, even if the state of Louisiana tries to keep them in isolation. Send your letter of support directly to Herman and Albert - show them you care.

I got this mail from Amnesty.
It has nothing to do with Zimmerman.Trayvon case except for rascism.
It seems they were convicted for murder with no real evidence that they are guilty.
Why did they got such a severe punishment?

Last edited:
President Obama On George Zimmerman Verdict: "Trayvon Martin Could Have Been Me"

Saturday, Jul 20, 2013 12:30PM

Written by Cyrus Langhorne

After days of emotional reactions from high-profile celebrities over George Zimmerman being acquitted for fatally shooting teenager Trayvon Martin, President Barack Obama has delivered some heartfelt words.

President Obama publicly spoke out on the verdict and even made a direct connection to the slain Florida resident.

"Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago," the president said in the remarks, made Friday during a surprise appearance in the White House press room. Mr. Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, was shot and killed in Florida last year in a case that riveted millions of Americans and sparked debate over the state of race relations in the country. Saying he would leave arguments about the verdict to legal analysts, Mr. Obama didn't critique last Saturday's acquittal of George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watchman who faced various charges related to the killing. (Wall Street Journal)

He also used the widespread platform to acknowledge the struggle most African American men experience due to their race.

"There are very few African-American men who haven't had the experience of walking across the street and hearing the locks click on the doors of cars," Mr. Obama said. "That happens to me--at least before I was a senator." The remarks, delivered without a teleprompter, were a striking example of America's first black president seeking to guide the country's thinking on race without inflaming racial tensions or undermining the judicial system. They also amounted to Mr. Obama's most pointed comments about race since his 2008 presidential campaign. Mr. Obama issued a brief statement the day after the Martin verdict was handed down. He urged calm and compassion, noting that "a jury has spoken." Missing, though, was any personal reflection from a president with a unique perspective on the matter. (Wall Street Journal)

A few days ago, Mobb Deep's Prodigy said all Americans have to familiarize themselves with the legal system in the wake of Zimmerman's acquittal.

Prodigy, also on Wednesday's "RapFix," said the responsibility to bring about change now falls on everyone, not just the African-American community. "Our people need to learn the laws -- people, not just black people -- need to learn the laws, learn the politics. Focus on what's important," he said. The Mobb Deep rapper, who was sentenced to three-and-a-half years in prison on a gun charge back in 2007, stressed the importance of change, saying that it starts with the individual. "I could be more vocal about certain changes that need to be made, certain changes that I made in my life. 'Starting with the man in the mirror,' like Michael Jackson said," he shared, referencing the King of Pop's 1987 single. "If everybody does that, we'll be a little step closer to a solution to this." (MTV)

Following last weekend's Zimmerman verdict, a Facebook page urging people not to support select Florida-based companies launched.

"Florida's "Stand Your Ground Law" killed Trayvon Martin's opportunity for justice. Stand Your Ground must be repealed and corporations based in Florida that profit from our patronage must stand with us against Stand Your Ground or we will make them pay in their pockets. Economic embargos and boycotts have worked to debilitate America's unjust laws like Jim Crow and alienate and starve countries like Cuba. A focused, targeted and public economic embargo of Florida-based corporations will force them to take a stand against Stand Your Ground in their own interests, The following post list the top Florida-based corporations who rely upon your patronage and support." (Boycott Florida)

http://www.sohh.com/2013/07/president_obama_gives_on_george_zimmerma.html

Back