Gene Simmons: "Music Industry Didn't Have The Balls To Sue File-Sharers"

billyworld99

Proud Member
October 2010

Kiss star Gene Simmons has accused the music industry of not reacting fast enough to curb the problem of illegal file-sharing.

The bassist said lawsuits should have been issued against illegal downloaders sooner and that the error had cost “hundreds of thousands of jobs” in the industry.

“The music industry was asleep at the wheel and didn't have the balls to sue every fresh-faced, freckle-faced college kid who downloaded material,” Simmons said.

“And so now we're left with hundreds of thousands of people without jobs. There's no industry."

The bassist added: "Make sure your brand is protected. Make sure there are no incursions. Be litigious. Sue everybody. Take their homes, their cars. Don't let anybody cross that line."

Simmons was speaking at the MIPCOM convention in Cannes, France, reports Ars Technica. The convention is a content market for multi-platform entertainment.

The problem of illegal file-sharing has continued to blight the music industry over the last decade.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/58837/K...Industry-Didnt-Have-Balls-To-Sue-File-Sharers

What's he worried about? KISS makes most of their money from merchandising.
coffehouse_jpg_595x1000_q85.jpg

You're going to have millions of lawsuits then, Gene. Think about it, one lawsuit per song illegally downloaded per person. Say one person illegally downloads a million songs per lifetime--that's a million lawsuits right there, and just for that one guy! Then, of course, there's going through the trouble of actually finding these people, and the murky international affairs if the person who illegally downloaded an American song lives in, say, Russia (or vice versa.) Then, how do you decide who handles the affair? The Russian courts, or the Americans?

Tisk tisk, Gene. There's lots to consider when it comes to such things, especially since the internet is such a wonderful cloak for criminals to hide under.

“The music industry was asleep at the wheel and didn't have the balls to sue every fresh-faced, freckle-faced college kid who downloaded material,” Simmons said.

Wow. Way to be out of touch with the common man. Dumbass.

*goes to download some KISS*

Wow. Way to be out of touch with the common man. Dumbass.

*goes to download some KISS*

lol. :D

I think he's wrong. They shouldn't have sued anyone. They should've taken control of the situation. Downloading music is/was way too easy. The industry was foolish to not embrace the format earlier. Its obvious that consumers wanted another medium to consume music and the MP3 was it. People didn't do it because it was illegal, and not even necessarily because its free, it was because it was easy. People were sick of buying albums so they just got the songs they wanted. No one was releasing singles in physical format either, so they shot themselves in the foot.

All they had to do was monetize the the medium and sue the file sharing companies as opposed to individual file sharers, and then set up their own download websites, charging per song and album (ala itunes) or create a file sharing system for a monthly fee. Instead they tried to keep doing things the same way and its gotten out of control.

Suing your customers is not the way to make money. If you're losing money from people downloading, why would you spend obscene amounts of money suing freckle faced college kids who don't have any money anyway? Its counterproductive.

Tell that to this guy. :D

prince-bet-awards5.jpg

That is why he has some of the most difficult and unappreciative fanbase.most have a love-hate relationship with him and I often wonder what some are even doing on the org if they dislike him that much.

I'm pretty sure that everyone who has the internet has used Limewire to download a song at some point...

That is why he has some of the most difficult and unappreciative fanbase.most have a love-hate relationship with him and I often wonder what some are even doing on the org if they dislike him that much.
Princefams is better than Prince.org, although it's not busy like it used to be. The Org just has a lot of cynical, cranky people. It seems that many of them don't like he's a "brainwashed" JW and he doesn't sing nasty songs like he did in the 80's.

What's he worried about? KISS makes most of their money from merchandising.
coffehouse_jpg_595x1000_q85.jpg

well, if he thought he was making enough money, he wouldn't be complaining. if a person thinks they're not doing well, in their own mind, then, they're not doing well. it's all in how THEY look at it. not that i have much sympathy for Simmons, anyway..

besides..i never saw one of those coffeehouses. apparently there's not enough of them around to satisfy him.

an artist's attitude, really is the make or break of his or her kaching. the worse the attitude, the less money that artist will make. it really does count for something.

the less worried artists, make more money. the fans and general public is always watching for the attitudes of artists. and it makes all the financial difference in the world.

Last edited:
Michael Jackson Slams Music Piracy Bill

By Guylaine Cadorette
Hollywood.com Staff | Wednesday, July 23, 2003

HOLLYWOOD - Michael Jackson is speaking out against new legislation that would make downloading copyrighted material over the Internet a felony punishable by jail time.

"I am speechless about the idea of putting music fans in jail for downloading music. It is wrong to download but the answer cannot be jail," Jackson said in a statement. "It is the fans that drive the success of the music business; I wish that would not be forgotten."

Lawmakers introduced the bill currently under consideration, called the Authors, Consumer and Computer Owners Protection and Security Act of 2003, July 16 in the House of Representatives. The act would make downloading songs over the Web a felony offense.

"Here in America we create new opportunities out of adversity, not punitive laws," he said. "We should look to new technologies, like Apple's new Itunes Music Store, for solutions. This way, innovation continues to be the hallmark of America."

Besides Apple, vendors including Amazon.com and Buy.com are preparing to launch digital music download service. But PCWorld.com notes that the digital download market is still in its infancy stage.

The big labels blame illegal music sharing and CD burning piracy the music industry's two-year sales slump. Jackson's record sales have also diminished. According to Nielsen Soundscan, Jackson's 2001 album Invincible, which cost about $30 million to make, has sold only about 2.1 million units in the United States.

The Recording Industry Association of America recently stepped up its fight against illegal music file swapping, winning at least 871 federal subpoenas against computer users suspected of illegally sharing music files on the Internet, with roughly 75 new subpoenas being approved each day. The movement comes just weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings requiring Internet providers to readily identify subscribers suspected of illegally sharing music and movie files.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Michael_Jackson_Slams_Music_Piracy_Bill/1722880

Re: Michael Jackson Slams Music Piracy Bill

By Guylaine Cadorette

HOLLYWOOD - Michael Jackson is speaking out against new legislation that would make downloading copyrighted material over the Internet a felony punishable by jail time.

"I am speechless about the idea of putting music fans in jail for downloading music. It is wrong to download but the answer cannot be jail," Jackson said in a statement. "It is the fans that drive the success of the music business; I wish that would not be forgotten."

Lawmakers introduced the bill currently under consideration, called the Authors, Consumer and Computer Owners Protection and Security Act of 2003, July 16 in the House of Representatives. The act would make downloading songs over the Web a felony offense.

"Here in America we create new opportunities out of adversity, not punitive laws," he said. "We should look to new technologies, like Apple's new Itunes Music Store, for solutions. This way, innovation continues to be the hallmark of America."

Besides Apple, vendors including Amazon.com and Buy.com are preparing to launch digital music download service. But PCWorld.com notes that the digital download market is still in its infancy stage.

The big labels blame illegal music sharing and CD burning piracy the music industry's two-year sales slump. Jackson's record sales have also diminished. According to Nielsen Soundscan, Jackson's 2001 album Invincible, which cost about $30 million to make, has sold only about 2.1 million units in the United States.

The Recording Industry Association of America recently stepped up its fight against illegal music file swapping, winning at least 871 federal subpoenas against computer users suspected of illegally sharing music files on the Internet, with roughly 75 new subpoenas being approved each day. The movement comes just weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings requiring Internet providers to readily identify subscribers suspected of illegally sharing music and movie files.

Michael looks damn good in that picture. Sorry to be off-topic!

Interesting article. Michael's much more far sighted than many other artists.

Princefams is better than Prince.org, although it's not busy like it used to be. The Org just has a lot of cynical, cranky people. It seems that many of them don't like he's a "brainwashed" JW and he doesn't sing nasty songs like he did in the 80's.

You are right.
Most are the exact opposite of MJ fans
I stopped posting there years ago because of their cynicism though I lurk once in a while.

I love you Michael

I love you Michael

I loved that quote too. Michael had so much humility. It's ironic how people used to accuse Michael of having lost touch with reality and yet in spite of his fame and fortune he is the one who stands up for the consumer, the fans, the everyday people.

And the likes of Gene Simmons just come across as "poor little rich boy."

Re: Michael Jackson Slams Music Piracy Bill

By Guylaine Cadorette

if the article writer really thought Invincible didn't do well, they would have not mentioned how much it cost to make the album. they're jealous. it did do well. bruce swedien said that Michael had the distinction of giving bruce a platinum album with every album he put out. no other artist did that for bruce. every album means every album including Invincible. platinum is platinum, no matter how you slice it. not to mention that the article writer irrationally, only includes one nation, in subtle fashion, as if it's the only nation on earth. and didn't mention how the album did, worldwide.. not to mention, in that nation alone, it still did platinum.and this article was written in the time where there was media bias against Michael, and envy of Michael. obviously, the article writer doesn't share Michael's opinion on downloading. the bias is evident. they begin the article with the heading that says he 'slammed' the bill. if they just said he disagrees with the bill, that would have been objective. for them to use the word 'slam', wreaks of bias against him;

besides the numbers belying the article writer, even while the article writer is looking at them(showing that the media bias against Michael blinded their sense of objectivity and reason), MJ's fans supported MJ, in every way, financially, because, in part, of his attitude.

i've always looked at those media articles, political and otherwise, and they always use the word 'slam', when referring to someone they don't like..as if the person they're talking about, went on a crazed rant. in reality, in that article, Michael was even tempered, humble, and objectively disagreed. simple as that.

Last edited:
nobody wanna hear from some clown faced turkey who is a Millionaire many times over and has so many outlets at making loot it ain't even funny and mind you kiss was selling lunchboxes, cards, etc.. way back in the day.

tell Kiss to make some a legit song. Simmons might be upset that nobody is talking about them.

the Industry is as arrogant as dude is and that is why they didn't do nothing and Simmons get real, most artists never make much of nothing from album sales anyway.

if there wasn't file sharing they would blame tape recording, or dubbing,etc.. Problem is if you make it then you get through period. you need to beat a new drum.

tracks get leaked by insiders anyway.

record companys put out tracks to see if there is any buzz.

somebody tell Gene Simmons Lady Gaga,Susan Boyle, Eminem,Lil Wayne,Justin Bieber,are still selling as are big time Country acts.

step up your game and stop looking for a plea.

Back