'Garage' Music

Foxy..

Proud Member
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Not seen too much regarding Garage, in and around this forum... Many different types and styles, I am very much into some and not into others. Todd Edwards is my favourite DJ, he uses intricate melodies, beats and vocal reconstruction, always with wonderful results. Probably more electro/house, but I classify him as a Garage DJ. Technically he is (and the sub-genre of Garage that I love) four-to-the-floor or 4x4 garage.

Here are a few tracks I love;

I also love Dizzie Rascal, Lethal Bizzle, Kano and other more 'Grimey' artists, feel free to look them up. Very urban, probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought I would share.. Anyone else?

Last edited:
on and off with being my favourite genre, i grew up on the hype of 2-step garage. love it.

and Todd Edwards is a genius, his tracks make you feel something extra special.. and he's definitely the godfather of ukg.

my second favourite producer behind Todd is MJ Cole. many stuck up garage heads dislike him purely because of his popularity, but he created some of the most beautiful quality tracks and remixes. talented and prolific being.

i'll post some of my favs later...

ive never been into the genre but i know and like that Alabama Blues Todd Edwards Mix in a different version:

but now i think the 'dub' one is better - thx for posting.
and just found another Todd Edwards mix of one of my fav St. Germain's tracks from his album Tourist:

St. Germain - Sure Thing (Todd Edwards Deepline Remix).

pretty cool.

I love UK Garage. I'm a huge fan of the 2 step sound
Sweet Female Attitude-Flowers

MJ Cole-Hold On To Me

Lonyo- Summer Of Love

Craig David- Fill Me In

I love UK Garage. I'm a huge fan of the 2 step sound
Sweet Female Attitude-Flowers
nice selections, that Sunship mix of Flowers is up there in my top 10.

my ultimate 2-step track has to be this Club Asylum remix:

idzm9s.jpg

Shola Ama - Imagine (Asylum Remix)

fav cut from Todd Edwards:

2v8j1w7.jpg

Far Away

and MJ Cole:

2874182.jpg

De-Ryus - Grass Ain't Greener

Loving these selections guys.. Sunship mix of Flowers really is fantastic, always gives off a great vibe. So thanks for posting that.

Arx your selection is of course wonderful, I own the Odyssey album, and love Far Away, I love how Edwards touches on House but still stays true to the garage beats, its a really nice mix of style. I think his mixing on Pure Garage - 4 to the Floor is fantastic. Oh and that MJ Cole mix is now on repeat, so ta mate!

f_cheers.gif

i need to check out Todd's compilation you mentioned, i've always been much more into 2-step so my ukg timeline kind of cuts off at the time 2-step 'died' around 2001/2..

the more overplayed it was, the more nostalgic it becomes,
f_smiley.gif
. i'm just glad i grew up in a sexy club scene as opposed to say 10 years earlier exclusively doing acid to dark depressing drum and bass, lol.

shit i'll even sing the hook to that B15 track, i don't care
f_laugh.gif

So is 2 step considered dead? Is there something similar to it right now like a spinoff? I'm not into grime except for a few artists.

na i'm not into grime either, no soul there. i said "died" as in completely lost its popularity as far as new 2-step goes and a lot of the old-school producers went on to 4x4 and mainly house, and some went on to broken-beat (which is really what 2-step was in a way) like Bugz in the Attic and other West London crews. Mark Hill of the Artful Dodger went on to broken-beat and is still fielding for up-and-coming artists (last one he introduced was Corinne Bailey Rae).

i still hear 2-step here and there. this is a current favourite of mine:

166es15.png

Alex Phountzi - Another Way (Daz-I-Kue Broken Beat Remix)

Tight track Arx. Never thought I would find a sub-genre that can only be called Ambient Garage? It works so well though. The vocals are wonderful in the chorus too, really give you goosebumps.

As promised, here is Jean Jacques Smoothie - 2 People (More house'esque? but.. care, its too good not to include)

Lonyo - In Ayia Napa (Todd Edwards' Perfect Dub)

Ok this is me and my ignorance in music genres :lol: I love all this kind of music and didn't know what it was called just assummed it was house or something.
I thought Garage was like up and coming rock bands who practice in their garages hence the name :blush:

Loving the posts shared!!

Ok this is me and my ignorance in music genres :lol: I love all this kind of music and didn't know what it was called just assummed it was house or something.

lol, same here. i didn't know the term 'garage' until recently and it seemed to me that it was just a subtype of house.. such an educative thread lol.

that posted stuff is awesome, especially MJ Cole mix. highly addictive.

lol... if anyone wants the full collection of MJ Cole's Grass Ain't Greener mixes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nyiwxvwc2dl

and Foxy i haven't listened to 2 People in so many years, i didn' even know it sampled one of my favourite tracks! (i hadn't come across Inside My Love by then) makes you appreciate it on a whole new dimension..

these next two are a bit of a stretch but i refuse to believe that Mike, Teddy and Rodney weren't influenced by 2-step here:

2j5xwds.jpg

Heartbreaker

Heaven Can Wait

heaven can wait is my "jam" haha, love it.

Also, flowers on the previous page is awesome, takes me back a few years haha!

Ta for posting the MJ Cole mixes, I was going to ask where I could get them from, just wonderful. I need to find a good underground venue that plays music like this, I need to search around London some more, as I am sure there are many places there..

Oh and Arx, I am glad you mentioned Heartbreaker especially, I have always wondered if Mike, Jerkins and Riley were influenced by 2-step in that track. There is a definate garage feeling. They are both in my top tracks on Invincible also.

I love album MJ Cole - Sincere; This has one of the funkiest garage loops ever, love it.

MJ Cole - Slum King

A little heavier, but a classic none the less;

Oxide & Neutrino - Bound 4 Da Reload

Yet another Todd Edwards mix, this time of a great Justice track..

Justice - DVNO (Sunshine Brothers Mix)

I need to find a good underground venue that plays music like this, I need to search around London some more, as I am sure there are many places there..
i never really went to garage nights after around 2003, none of my mates wanted to go to some dodgy club lol. but i did frequent Cole's Prolific nights in different venues (usually London but last one we went to was in Chelmsford). his protege Will Phillips is really talented too.

A little heavier, but a classic none the less;

Oxide & Neutrino - Bound 4 Da Reload
was never really that into the dark d&b-driven 2-step, but my first ever remix mashed DJ Oxide's Shoot To Kill with an eerie MJ acapella.

Who Is It (STK Dub)

but i love that original track, so well produced the technicality behind it is mind-blowing.

heaven can wait is my "jam" haha, love it.
massively slept on, init? by everyone, lol.

the whole "Sincere" album is great.

Living in the states, I was hoping 2 step and Garage would be huge here. Craig David's Born To Do It went platinum and Ms. Dynamite's debut along with Dizzee Rascals and The Street's debuts all received positive review, but it didn't catch on. The scene didn't get enough exposure in the USA. Shame because the US Garage scene has been pretty much dead for years now

if anyone's familiar with Akufen, he's a huge Todd Edwards disciple but didn't go down the conventional uk garage route - more into microhouse and idm-type music, but heavily influenced by garage. (highly suggest coppin his 2002 album, 'My Way')

anyway, here's one of his ukg cuts, followed by a Todd remix of the same tune:

10i6rmo.jpg

Craig David - What's Your Flava

Akufen Club Mix

Todd's Underground Flava

I rate Akufens mix much more than Todd's on this occasion, although I do feel Akufens' feels a little over produced in the opening couple of minutes. Great funky samples, I just wish they were left on the seconds longer rather than cutting and pasting so much, but the funky vibe really comes through when the lyrics kick in. Really really nice post as ever my friend,

a ukg thread can't go too long without the Artful Dodja..

2m331bq.jpg

Brand New Heavies - Apparently Nothin'
(Artful Dodger Main Mix)
[1999]

I love this one, so simple yet on point:

Krezip - I would stay _2 Step remix_.mp3 - 3.73MB

Man, the UK Garage in the 90's was the shit, in Europe (especially in the UK and Netherlands).
The UK Garage was kind of Europe's kind of Crunk music.
Lol, this makes me want to watch "Ali G in Da House", before Ali G was known for Borat.

EDIT: arXter, OMFG, the bass in that "Who Is It" remix *taking notice in his black book over things to steal to forthcoming productions* ;D

Last edited:
http://www.box.net/shared/yq8ngoszaf

Amsterdam ukg, the Dutch always seem to know where the good music's at.

i think i used to have some great remixes of that track, but can't find it.
THANK YOU!!!!!

I've been looking for this for awhile now :lol: I had a snippet of it on the Ayia Napa Return To Fantasy Island compilation, but could never find the full track

Listening to Platinum's track made me appreciate Kristine Blonde's version of Love Shy more

:punk::cheers:

I wish the US Garage scene was bigger and had embraced 2step more

Back