French Toast recipe/s

BillieJean84

Proud Member
Whoever said French Toast was easy to make has never made French Toast. Ok so I've tried & tried & every single time I make French Toast, the bread breaks up and / or the eggs I've mixed together turn into scrambled eggs. WTF am I doing wrong?

p.s. this was Michael's best breakfast according to Paris.

OK, this is my method.

Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat (whisk) them.
Add salt, pepper and a splash of milk and mix.
Place the bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture. When one side is covered, turn it over to make sure there's an even amount so it won't burn.
Cook in a hot pan with just a little oil to grease it.
When it's just crisp, serve up and enjoy!!

French toast is lovely, especially with a tiny bit of tomato ketchup!! :D

EDIT: let me know how it goes!

OK, this is my method.

Break the eggs into a bowl. Beat (whisk) them.
Add salt, pepper and a splash of milk and mix.
Place the bread, one slice at a time, in the egg mixture. When one side is covered, turn it over to make sure there's an even amount so it won't burn.
Cook in a hot pan with just a little oil to grease it.
When it's just crisp, serve up and enjoy!!

French toast is lovely, especially with a tiny bit of tomato ketchup!! :D

EDIT: let me know how it goes!

Thanks but how do I get the bread to keep from breaking apart in the egg mix???

Thanks but how do I get the bread to keep from breaking apart in the egg mix???

It helps alot to use a "sturdier" bread. Try a dense french bread or similar, and not freshly bought. Something like Wonderbread is simply too soft and easily soaks up the egg mixture and then basically can and will fall apart. Also, don't let it sit too long in the egg mixture, just a few seconds on each side. Always place into a preheated greased pan as well. JMO from making french toast over the years.

It helps alot to use a "sturdier" bread. Try a dense french bread or similar, and not freshly bought. Something like Wonderbread is simply too soft and easily soaks up the egg mixture and then basically can and will fall apart. Also, don't let it sit too long in the egg mixture, just a few seconds on each side. Always place into a preheated greased pan as well. JMO from making french toast over the years.

Ohhhh okay I was drenching the bread in the beat eggs.....& keeping them there for afew seconds but a long few seconds

Ohhhh okay I was drenching the bread in the beat eggs.....& keeping them there for afew seconds but a long few seconds

Ahhh. Yeah, don't saturate the bread, just dip each side into the egg quickly but making sure it is completely covered with the egg mixture. If I feel I have gotten too much egg on the bread, I have even held the piece of bread over the bowl for a moment, to let the excess drip off.

I mix the eggs with milk and add some cinnamon. Another variation is to add a little vanilla. I melt butter in the pan before I place the bread in there to cook.

When I serve it up, I slice the french toast in halves and overlap them in a line on the plate, add a pat of butter to each, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Then they are topped with maple syrup, which is especially nice if warmed first.

Keep at it! I know soon you'll have success and will be enjoying some yummy cooked-just-right french toast! :flowers:

Ahhh. Yeah, don't saturate the bread, just dip each side into the egg quickly but making sure it is completely covered with the egg mixture. If I feel I have gotten too much egg on the bread, I have even held the piece of bread over the bowl for a moment, to let the excess drip off.

I mix the eggs with milk and add some cinnamon. Another variation is to add a little vanilla. I melt butter in the pan before I place the bread in there to cook.

When I serve it up, I slice the french toast in halves and overlap them in a line on the plate, add a pat of butter to each, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Then they are topped with maple syrup, which is especially nice if warmed first.

Keep at it! I know soon you'll have success and will be enjoying some yummy cooked-just-right french toast! :flowers:

Will it work if I put the bread in the pan and poured it?

This thread inspired me so I made French toast this morning. I always sweeten the egg/milk mixture (I used to use sugar...now I use Splenda) because I like my French toast to taste like a dessert almost - that's how my mother made it for me and my sisters when we were kids. Delicious!

Don't soak it too much in the mixture! And make sure you mix the eggs well so that you getting scrambled eggs.

Back