For those who saw the Jacksons in concert from 1979 to 1981

Fans from that era who saw The Jacksons in concert between 1979-81 are a rareity in Michael Jackson fan sites.

I think you will know the set list of the European leg of the Destiny Tour in early 1979 if you have The Jacksons, Rainbow Theatre concert from London, and the Triumph Tour set list if you have the Live album and Los Angeles concert on DVD because I think ? they always stuck to a fixed set list, as they did with the Victory Tour and Michael has done with his own solo tours.

It would be interesting to see what the set list was for the USA leg of the Destiny Tour for late 1979-early 1980. But all the same if would be good to know the setlist for various concerts between early 1979 and 1981, just incase they did change the setlist around on a regular basis back then.

^^from I've been told, it wasn't always a fixed setlist

they would change it up sometimes, for example, Mama's Pearl, Got To Be There, and other songs were performed during the Destiny and Triumph Tours at certain dates

^^, that's good to hear. I'd like to know what Got To Be There sounded like sung with Michael's adult voice. But say on the Triumph Tour, a few verses of Got To Be There were sung Randy on the scripted rap between the brothers and Michael saying he doesn't want to sing the old Jackson 5 songs.

It would be very interesting to hear from people who did see The Jackson's between 1979-81, as that also seems to be an era that is strangly negelected by fans and the media, despite the many classic songs recorded by Michael as a solo artists with the Off Wall album, and Can You Feel It and the Triumph album with The Jacksons. And the Triumph Tour is considered one of the greatest tours of all time, and one of the greatest set designs. But the focus of Michael's career to many is, 1969-72 then 1983-present with a large and important part of Michael's career left out. Even Michael doesn't really talk much about his career from 1973-81 with the exception of the Off The Wall album.

I would have loved it of Michael hadn't dubbed out the live vocals of him singing Don't Stop Till You Get Enough from the Triumph Tour on his THE ONE, DVD because his live vocals of it were brilliant and I'd really liked to see the full live performance of that clip.

I'm also quite intrested in The Jacksons set list for their 1977 tour when Michael and his brothers were in a transistion period and promoting their first two Epic albums, The Jacksons and Goin Places.

Last edited:
I know they did perform Dancing Machine near the end of Destiny tour, but a heavily synthesized version, Michael wore his glove for it

?uestlove from hip hop group The Roots saw some footage of the Triumph Tour and he said that various songs were done on the Triumph Tour (he had seen footage) and the "Live" LP was a compilation from various shows like Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, and New York and then slight overdubs were done

nope sure don't remember it from the Triumph concert, although I remember it being a little different than the Jacksons Live album

It would be very interesting to hear from people who did see The Jackson's between 1979-81, as that also seems to be an era that is strangly negelected by fans and the media, despite the many classic songs recorded by Michael as a solo artists with the Off Wall album, and Can You Feel It and the Triumph album with The Jacksons.
People from that era are older and more unlikely to be playing around on a computer, and especially on some fan site. That era {the late 70s/early 80s} is probably ignored as the group had little crossover during that period and mostly had a black R&B audience in the USA, and the media only keeps record of what was popular in the "mainstream" (white). "Off The Wall" & "Thriller" crossed over, "Triumph", "Live", & "2300 Jackson Street" didn't. That is the reason why The Jacksons albums were ignored by the record company today, they originally just sold to the "R&B" audience and not the "pop" audience. "Goin' Places" flopped altogether. The only reason they're in print at all is because Mike is on them. "2300 Jackson Street" is out of print. Other than "hits" compilations, a great majority of classic R&B, soul, funk, & blues albums are out of print (except maybe in Japan). But you can easily find albums by Van Halen, Kiss, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, The Cure, Elvis, The Monkees, Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc. But there's very few Aretha Franklin, James Brown, B.B. King albums on CD. You can't find a Sam Cooke or Jackie Wilson album on CD either. You can find Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Miles Davis, or even Earth Wind & Fire because they sold more to whites. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

People from that era are older and more unlikely to be playing around on a computer, and especially on some fan site. That era {the late 70s/early 80s} is probably ignored as the group had little crossover during that period and mostly had a black R&B audience in the USA, and the media only keeps record of what was popular in the "mainstream" (white). "Off The Wall" & "Thriller" crossed over, "Triumph", "Live", & "2300 Jackson Street" didn't. That is the reason why The Jacksons albums were ignored by the record company today, they originally just sold to the "R&B" audience and not the "pop" audience. "Goin' Places" flopped altogether. The only reason they're in print at all is because Mike is on them. "2300 Jackson Street" is out of print. Other than "hits" compilations, a great majority of classic R&B, soul, funk, & blues albums are out of print (except maybe in Japan). But you can easily find albums by Van Halen, Kiss, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Cat Stevens, The Cure, Elvis, The Monkees, Beatles, Bob Dylan, etc. But there's very few Aretha Franklin, James Brown, B.B. King albums on CD. You can't find a Sam Cooke or Jackie Wilson album on CD either. You can find Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Miles Davis, or even Earth Wind & Fire because they sold more to whites. Unfortunately that's just the way it is.

Word.

Back