For Sale: Michael Jackson's MTV Video Music Award for "Thriller"

Bubs

Proud Member
Michael Jackson's MTV Video Music Award for "Thriller" is on the auction block and expected to fetch more than $100,000.

The "Moonman" award was issued in 1984 at the cable network's inaugural VMAs. The viewer's choice accolade was given out for the iconic "Thriller" music video.

"'Thriller' was Michael Jackson's music video masterpiece and any award from even the Beatles, Elvis, Madonna or the Rolling Stones isn't expected to match this piece at auction. It is the second most expensive Jackson item to be sold at auction after the $1.8 million 'Thriller' jacket," said Nate D. Sanders, whose memorabilia auction house is selling the award.
http://natedsanders.com/LotDetail.a...e-Most-Iconic-MTV-Award-Ever-Offered-for-Sale

As of Monday, the item had received one bid of $1,000, but according to Sanders, the award is expected to sell for more than $100,000. The auction ends April 2, according to the west LA-based auction company.

thriller+moon+man+vertical+high+res.jpg

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Michael-Jackson-MTV-Moonman-Award-Thriller-199868691.html

I wonder who is selling it, I don't know if it's just me but imo this belongs to PP&B.

Which one of the Jacksons took that Moonman from Michael's crib and is now trying to sell it?

I'm not trying to be mean, just keeping it real. I always think about LaToya's man being in Michael's crib, acting like he lived on the property, and most likely searching every nook and cranny while he was there, TAKING whatever was not nailed down. Sorry, I could be wrong, and I'm just thinking out loud, but I don't trust any of them.

wth? I hate this!! why do they do this? I just dont understands, isnt this the same when someones parents dies and their house. if they owned it goes to its children?! isnt this the saaaaaame!? I swear I knew this would happen with everything!!

so NOW mtv is raving about MJ, now that they want big bank. He's basically a fake to them, and they did a yoyo give to him with the millenium award, and scoff on giving him credit for their success, initially didn't want him, and now, he's pure gold, cuz they want big bank. and of course, they wanna bank on his death.

Lovely item but it really should be with Michael's children.

I don't get this, Michael was given the award and if Michael didn't give it as a gift to someone else, it should be PPB's!

Besides, considering what a joke MTV has become I wouldn't even give 1000 $ fot it, let alone 100.000. For that kind of money I'd probably be able to buy an iconic piece of Michael's clothing.

I expect this would be worth even more if it actually said Thriller on it.

When they say the 2nd most expensive Jackson item to be sold on auction, is that based on the estimate? Also, didn't an MJ glove sell for millions to an HK business man shortly after Michael's death? I'm sure he displayed it in one of his hotels...

So it's being auctioned for the second time. We have to realize that most of this things being auctioned are not Michael's. It's probably gifts he gave to someone.

There's also a new julien's auction on May of itens Michael gave to fans. The fans are auctioning it and I honestly can't understand how a fan can auction a gift Michael gave them. I would never do that. http://www.mjfanclub.net/home/index...lia-on-auction&catid=85:latest-news&Itemid=82

I contacted the estate reps about the MTV Video Music Award for "Thriller" and they said:

"No. The Estate does not sanction nor authorize the sale of any of Michael's personal items. He gave away many of these pieces of memorabilia throughout his life, and the Estate has no say in what private citizens do with their property."

There isn't anything wrong with fans or anyone auctioning off their own possessions. Some people invest in memorabilia and collectables, some feel it will be better cared for and have a chance to be visible and shared with the world, rather than having it store or hidden in their closet forever. Some may be in financial distress and need to money. We cant judge others decisions. Plus the higher the value of the item the bigger insurance that it will be well taken care of and eventually placed in a museum.

Guys I don't understand this. Michael had an award. How did someone get it to sell it? Did he give it away as he gave all his clothes to Bush? When he died where was this thing? I know he kept some awards at his mom's house, so was this thing there and given to someone to sell? Can we see who the seller is?

PS: I see it was sold before, but about the original seller, how did he get this thing?

No seller and buyers in most auctions remain anonymous. Michael could have given it away as a gift or as payment or to a charity auction. He has given other awards away to auctions for charity causes. I'm trying to track that down

The seller here bid and won this item in Julien's action 2012.

Ok this item could be part of Michael's memorbilia that ended up in Henry Vacarros possesion
Howard Mann then bought them from him or went in partnersip with Vacarro .. Vacarro in a fan interview with him stated that Howard Mann returned many items back to the Jackson's as part of his business deal with Katherine. So possible suspects , Mann , Vacarro, Jackson's and prior buyers (like the one selling this MTV Award now ) are now circulating them on the auction blocks .. You can find many of these items that were in Vacarro's possession on the auction blocks now.. based on pictures he showed of the items.

I was spent hours trying to track down the MTV Moonie .. Im not 100% sure its the same date but it looks to be 1984
There is another one circulating on the auction blocks too from 1989 .. possibly from the same source as this one

Michael Jackson Memorabilia Set for Auction 2007

http://www.china.org.cn/archive/2007-04/09/content_1206473.htm

389383.jpg
An award from MTV is seen among personal belongings from the Jackson family, including Michael, Janet, Jermaine, Tito and La Toya, which are displayed in New York on Thursday, April 5, 2007, prior to being sold at an auction in Las Vegas on May 30.

This was from a past auction in 2007 that I believe was cancelled and the item returned to Vacarro at that time (I cant remember the details) but we know the Vacarro booty ended up in the hands of Howard Mann ... and possibly some returned to the Jackson's.

It's not the same because that one hasn't the MTV flag... The one which is on auction now has the flag :)
And there is no MTV logo on the top of the stand ;)

Last edited:
This should've been given to michaels children

Authenticity Opinion of MJ MTV Award Statue for 1984 Thriller on Sanders Auction Block

I am doing a research for a friend about MJ's MTV Award that is currently up for auction at Sanders. That particular MTV award is from 1984. The auction house have listed the award as 7 pounds 11 ounces. However, Information from other sources are indicating the early MTV award statues from 1984 to mid 90s are lighter in weight and not as heavy as indicated.

I have contacted both the trophy manufacture and MTV directly. But none have any data sheets for the early version of the trophy because there were no saved computer records back in 1984. The only record they have is for the current version, which is 7 pounds 3 ounces.

From what I have learned, both the early and newer version were never this heavy (i.e. 7 pounds 11 ounces)

I am hoping someone here can point me to the right direction or have information on the actual weight of the early version of the statue from 84, 85, etc.

Thanks in advance,

William

Back