'Ferris Bueller' Director John Hughes Has Died

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
'Ferris Bueller' director John Hughes dead at 59
(AFP) – 2 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — John Hughes, best known for directing a string of 1980s hit movies including "The Breakfast Club," and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", has died, his publicist said Thursday. He was 59.

Hughes suffered a heart attack while visiting his family in Manhattan, his Los Angeles-based representatives said.

A prolific screenwriter and director, Hughes was the creative inspiration behind a series of teen-oriented films throughout the 1980s before penning the screenplay for the smash 1990 Macaulay Culkin film "Home Alone."

The family film -- about a boy who is accidentally left behind when his parents head off on a Christmas vacation and who has to fight off a gang of bungling burglars -- was Hughes's greatest commercial success.

He also penned a less successful 1992 sequel "Home Alone 2".

After starting out as a copywriter, Hughes began writing comedy for National Lampoon magazine before forging his successful movie career.

His breakthrough movie script came with the screenplay for the successful "National Lampoon's Vacation" in 1983.

His directorial debut, 1984's coming-of-age teen drama "Sixteen Candles", starring Molly Ringwald was a critical hit which set the tone for the films that were to define Hughes's career.

He later followed it up with "The Breakfast Club", about a group of teenagers who bond while stuck in detention, and 1986's classic "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," about a mischievous truant played by Matthew Broderick.

The film arguably launched Broderick's acting career and was one of the biggest hits of the decade, grossing more than 70 million dollars in North America alone after being made for around six million dollars.

Other Hughes hits from the time included "Weird Science" and another Ringwald film "Pretty In Pink."

His films were also notable for their choice of music, which helped propel bands such as "Simple Minds" and "Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark" to chart-topping success during the 1980s.

"I just used what I was listening to at the time, bands I liked," Hughes said in a rare 1999 interview. "It was my own personal taste."

Hughes branched out from the teen genre in 1987 with the slapstick comedy "Planes Trains & Automobiles" starring Steve Martin and John Candy, the late comic whom he teamed up with again for 1989's "Uncle Buck."

Yet is was 1990's "Home Alone" that cemented Hughes's reputation as one of the most successful talents of his generation.

The film -- which took nearly 500 million dollars worldwide -- remains the most successful live action comedy of all time.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jDGO84a_tmEHX2Fdt2SKZBZQCxlw

-This is so sad! I feel terrible for his family. I was a fan of his too, really enjoyed his films.

What's going on though you guys? Everyone is dying! 2009 has been a horrible year.

It has been a bad year for celeb deaths... or we all are just getting a little older and our elders have said the same years before us.

This is sad, I really liked his films as well. He made so many good natured and funny movies.

My favorite scene though from any of his movies? Is John Candy making those massive flapjacks in Uncle Buck. For years I wanted to really try that!!

Oh shit, this is really sad news. God I loved his films, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller etc.

Its weird, I was in a record store the other day and saw Home Alone/Home Alone2 and almost bought it, thats certainly going on my shopping list today.

This is really turning out to be a bad year, first we lose our Beloved Michael and now John Hughes I dont even want to ask whos going to be next.

Everyone is dying this year... EVERYONE... what the f*ck... at least 6 high profile people that I can think of have died... I'm a major film buff so this hurts in a different way, though I'll admit it doesn't come close to the loss of Michael. The closest to that feeling, though still not as strong, would be if Clint Eastwood or Kevin Smith dies...

that is sad
just last night i dream about someone dieing but in my dream
i was reading it on the net someone just died but when i wake up from my strange dream later i hear it on the john hughes just died on thursday
i think i was dreaming of the future?

Home Alone
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Sixteen Candles
Pretty in Pink
Uncle Buck
National Lampoons Vacation

DAMN look at that list. thats basically my favorite movies ever. he was genius. we dont get movies like this No More. we are losing so many great people.

Gosh, I was so sad to hear about his passing. These movies were essential parts of the entertainment backdrop of my childhood, my favorite being Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles (and I didn't know until now that he did National Lampoons Vacation).

On the radio today, I heard about this teenage girl who maintained a two-year correspondence with him back in the 80s. She started writing him because, given his movies, she thought he'd understand the problems she was facing. Initially he brushed her off, but after the second letter he came around (the whole time I was hearing this I was wondering if her parents were well-informed. I assume so.). They even re-connected about 12 years ago when she wrote him and he later called her up at her job to congratulate her for making it successfully through her difficult teen years.

I also heard that he dropped out of the Hollywood scene because he feared he and his kids would lose perspective on what really mattered in life. He was a respectable man, it seems.

RIP Mr. Hughes

He was responsible for some GREAT movies. RIP.

Man, these celebrities gotta cut this new dying thing out lol. I know it's trendy now, but once the trend fades, they're still dead.

I bought this yesterday, funny to think I saw it just the other day obviously something was telling me this was on the horizon :(

HomeAlone.jpg

He made some of my favorite movies. Uncle Buck, Sixteen Candles, Vacation. My heart goes out to his family.

R.I.P!
I loved all his movies. The breakfast club, sixteen candles. Such great aesthetics and sweet storylines. Hope his fans are coping OK. Appreciate his work.

Back