Favourite Quotations

Wingfoot

Proud Member
Post some of your favourite quotes, on any subject.

Funny:

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

"I'm an excellent housekeeper. Every time I get a divorce, I keep the house." (Zsa Zsa Gabor)

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp." (Terry Pratchett)

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils..." (Louis Hector Berlioz)

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." (Robert Bloch)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me." (Emo Philips)

"Never stand between a dog and the hydrant." (John Peers)

"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, 'Oh man... I could be eating a slow learner." (Lyndon B. Johnson) :rofl:

"My computer beat me at checkers, but I sure beat it at kickboxing." (Emo Philips)

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older. Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman: stuff you pay good money for in later life." (Emo Philips)

"At my lemonade stand I used to give the first glass away free and charge five dollars for the second glass. The refill contained the antidote." (Emo Philips)

Life

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." (Robert Frost)

"There is more to life than increasing its speed." (Gandhi)

"Don't go through life, GROW through life." (Eric Butterworth)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)

Motivational/Inspirational & Opportunities:

"Motivation is everything. You can do the work of two people, but you can't be two people. Instead, you have to inspire the next guy down the line and get him to inspire his people. "

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." (Charles A. Beard)

"Begin somewhere. You cannot build a reputation on what you intend to do." (Liz Smith)

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." (George Eliot)

"Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." (Warren Buffett)

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." 
(Confucius)

"Do not go where the path may lead,
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

"You may be disappointed if you fail, 
but you are doomed if you don’t try.
" (Beverly Sills)

"You will never find time for anything.
 If you want the time, you must make it." (
Charles Buxton)

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night,
and in between he does what he wants to do.
" (Bob Dylan)

"The only place you’ll find success before work is in the dictionary.
" (May B. Smith)

"Determine that the thing can and shall be done, and then we shall find the way." (
Abraham Lincoln)

There's an old African proverb that says "If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together." We have to go far — quickly. And that means we have to quickly find a way to change the world's consciousness about exactly what we're facing, and why we have to work to solve it." (Al Gore)

"Inspiration does not come from the quote itself, but rather the person behind it."

Happiness & Miscellaneous:

"People are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be." (Abraham Lincoln)

"The pessimist scorns the fact that roses have thorns. 
The optimist gives thanks that thorns have roses."

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." 
(Mark Twain)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." (Eleanor Roosevelt)

"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." (E. E. Cummings)

"Speak when you're angry, and you'll make the best speech you'll ever regret." (Lawrence J. Peter)

"He who angers you conquers you.
" (Elizabeth Kenny)

"Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone.
" (Gladys Browyn Stern)

"You see things and say 'Why?'; 
but I dream things that never were and I say 'Why not?'" (
George Bernard Shaw)

"Our greatest battles are that with our own minds." (
Jameson Frank)

"Too many people are trying to meet the right person 
Instead of trying to be the right person."

Friends:

"Friends are those rare people who ask how we are and then wait to hear the answer." (Ed Cunningham)

"Snowflakes are one of nature’s most fragile things,
but just look what they can do when they stick together.
" (Vista M. Kelly)

"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Proverbs 13:20, The Bible)

"Do not save your loving speeches
 for your friends till they are dead;
 Do not write them on their tombstones,
 Speak them rather now instead." (
Anna Cummins)

"Friendship is like peeing yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." :rofl:

Truth:

"The first casualty when war comes is truth." (Hiram Johnson)

" If I could only give three words of advice, they would be, 'Tell the Truth.' If I got three more words, I'd add, 'All the time.' " (Randy Pausch)

"Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons." (Michael Jackson)

More to come!

Back