Fans buy ‘Smooth Criminal’ to give Michael’s Billboard record back

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Fans buy ‘Smooth Criminal’ to give Michael’s Billboard record back

Michael Jackson was the first artist to achieve the record of having five number one hits from one album on Billboard. Billboard Hot 100 is America’s number one hitlist. Recently Katy Perry was the first female artist to do the same.

Michael notched his quintet of number one’s over nine months and two weeks while Perry needed one year, two months and one week. While Michael earned the achievement more quickly, Perry has spent more time at the Hot 100. Michael’s five number one’s from the Bad album totaled a combinated seven weeks in charge. With the first week on top for Friday, Perry is up to 18 total weeks at number one with her singles from the Dream album.

American fans have no decided to campaign for Michael to get back his record of artist with most number one songs from a single album. They are asking their fellow fans in the United States to buy the single Smooth Criminal. This song has never reached the first spot of the Hot 100 (The sixth single from "Bad," "Another Part of Me," peaked at No. 11. Seventh and final single "Smooth Criminal" reached No. 7) so if they manage to do this it would make Michael the first singer with six number one songs from one album.

Let’s hope they pull this off!

Because - Katy Perry To Challenge Michael Jackson's Chart Record With New 6th Single

Wish there was a way to make this happen, but I think airplay is also required for chart consideration - which we have no control over :(

This is ridiculous! Let Katy enjoy the record for the love of god. It means nothing, absolutely nothing!

Smooth Criminal did deserve the number one spot though, but I doubt it would happen, Smooth Criminal will not reach the same level of airplay as Katy's single even if the sales are there...

Honestly, I'm tired of hearing about Katy Perry. In 5 years noone will even remember her.

I hope no one wasted their money trying to get this back to #1 in the Billboard Hot 100. It would have to be re-released for that to happen, regardless of how many people bought it.

I have a question. If a lot of fans bought Smooth Criminal would we be able to make it number one on that chart and would it count towards the record?

No, because Billboard Hot 100 is chart for the CURRENT songs but if a lot of fans bought enough Smooth Criminal copies it'll be charted on Billboard Hot Digital Songs.
In theory song like Smooth Criminal can re-chart Billboard Hot 100 if the record company is promoting the song as re-release, as a current single (pushed to radio) but that will never happen with old MJ songs which were charted before. BTW when MJ died :( he had 6 songs in Top 10 (actually Top 8) on Billboard Hot Digital Songs chart and few of those had enough points to be in Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 chart but that wasn't allowed because all songs were recurrents.

If Sony re-release BAD album with "new" song(s) (something like Thriller 25 album) and one of them is some kind of new version of Smooth Criminal (something like The Girl Is Mine 2008) it can be charted on Hot 100 and if that song reach #1 it will be counted as 6th #1 from BAD.

Last edited:
I hope no one wasted their money trying to get this back to #1 in the Billboard Hot 100. It would have to be re-released for that to happen, regardless of how many people bought it.

Buying Michael's music or anything associated with him is never a waste of money, no matter what the reason behind is.

Buying Michael's music or anything associated with him is never a waste of money, no matter what the reason behind is.

For people who already have bought Smooth Criminal on iTunes, and maybe they downloaded it a few more times to try and beat this record, that could be seen as a waste of their money.

Also, buying everything associated with Michael is definitely not a good thing.

Back