Fake Facebook Page Targets Michael Jackson’s Fans

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Fake Facebook Page Targets Michael Jackson’s Fans

Cyber criminals are again using their deceitful techniques to turn people's good intentions into bad deeds. The birthday of the pop idol Michael Jackson is a memorable date to all his fans, who wanted to draw the attention of the world and commemorate the birth of the music icon. Two years after the unexpected death of the famous star, his fans are still determined to celebrate his birthday.

However, hackers decided to use this memorial date as a deception tool and they created a page on Facebook. The page was titled "I Love Michael Jackson" and it was intended to gather Jackson`s fans who would like to show their respect to the idol.

Harmless as it may seem, posting on the wall of this page hides a secret threat.

In the left column of the page there are the "Info" and "Photo" sections. Just below them there are three offers. They are aimed at misleading some of the visitors of the page into believing in them, although they are not real. You will see that you can "Get a FREE iPad 2", "Take the Facebook survey to claim a FREE prize" or "Test & Keep a FREE Dell laptop".

Nevertheless, if you try to get a free iPad, you will have to agree to receive emails and offers from third parties. Not only that, but you will have to submit your personal details such as name, address, email address, date of birth, cell phone and home phone number. Then you will be prompted to participate in a survey and "complete at least 10 Reward Offers".

Eventually you will see that you will not receive an iPad or any other compensation. On the contrary, you will realize you have submitted your personal information to scammers and now they can use it in every possible way they want.

http://www.pc1news.com/news/3642/fake-facebook-page-targets-michael-jackson-s-fans.html

It is still sad how ppl, media and haters are still going to any lengths to use MJ's name, legacy and fans to either promote their products, sell lies, items ect or destroy this beautiful human being. I am appalled and sad at the lack of respect for each other. Thank you Moonwalker.Fan for this :)

I swear people must think MJ fans are all stupid. I see similar ads saying stuff like "you've won a free iPad. Click here!" or "you're the 10000 person to view this page, claim your free prize" but I'm smart enough to realise that these are scams. How could you be the 10,000 viewer on a site that has 17000 registered members?

Shame on them for even trying this on us, but it's not like it would have worked. We're smarter than that...

You know, with the number of requirements listed in order to get said-free iPad 2, prize or Dell computer, I thought it would have been pretty obvious that this was either: 1) a scam, or 2) one of those long-winded advertisements with an even longer requirement at the end. Hell, even the word "FREE" should have raised some flags, but maybe that's just me.

I actually thought, when first seeing the title, that the page redirected you to some virus or something. But now seeing that it was actually one of those fake ads...it's not the first time I've seen it. And I personally find it strange that people fall for those types of things. :/

Can't understand how anyone manages to fall for these things. Not justifying the actions of whoever set this up, but people should have more sense!

Michael Jackson was nothing but a huge commodity and a trophy to many shameful lives!

It is still sad how ppl, media and haters are still going to any lengths to use MJ's name, legacy and fans to either promote their products, sell lies, items ect or destroy this beautiful human being. I am appalled and sad at the lack of respect for each other. Thank you Moonwalker.Fan for this :)

I've seen this scam used in other facets, not just targeting Mike's fans. We all need to be more diligent about protecting our information, since identity theft is on the rise worldwide.

Back