Explosions reported at Boston Marathon

souldreamer7

Proud Member
Breaking News At least 3 dead and 143 wounded in Boston Marathon explosions (Bombs)
Flight restriction around Boston area.

Breaking: Explosions reported at Boston Marathon
706b7aebc277d9416a7d06914314_h338_w600_m6_lfalse.jpg

The Boston Marathon headquarters is on lockdown and the race has been stopped after an explosion was reported near the race's finish line. Preliminary reports say at least 3 are dead and 143 are injured, according to the Boston Police Department.

BOSTON — 2-3 explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.

The Boston Police Department reported that there are at least two people dead and at least 23 others injured.

Two high-level U.S. law enforcement sources said one or more bombs was responsible for the explosions. An intelligence official said that two more explosive devices have been found and are being dismantled near the scene.

The explosions occurred as thousands of runners finished the 117th running of the Boston Marathon, with crowds watching and cheering at the finish line, with the clock reading at just over 4 hours.

At least four people were being treated at Massachusetts General Hospital, and various media are reporting deaths. CNN reports that at least two are dead from the explosions.

The New York Police Department has stepped up security around landmarks in Manhattan, including near prominent hotels, in response to at least one explosion near the finish line of the Boston marathon on Monday, said Paul Browne, deputy commissioner of the NYPD.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

Neither race officials nor public officials could immediately estimate the number or degree of injuries.

EXPLOSIONS HEARD SECONDS APART

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

Boston Marathon explosions: Explosions were reported near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.Bing Maps. Boston Marathon explosions: Explosions were reported near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.

"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

Reporters in the media center heard a blast.

"There was an explosion, police, fire and EMS are on the scene. We have no indication of how many people are injured," a spokeswoman for the Boston Police Department said.

A spokesman for the Boston Marathon told reporters that no one would be allowed in or out of the hotel that was serving as headquarters for the event.

Mike Mitchell of Vancouver, Canada, a runner who had finished the race said he was looking back at the finish line and saw a "massive explosion."

Smoke rose 50 feet in the air, Mitchell said. People began running and screaming after hearing the noise, Mitchell said.

"Everybody freaked out," Mitchell said.

OBAMA NOTIFIED

The White House says President Barack Obama has been notified about the explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

The White House says the administration is in contact with state and local authorities and directed his administration to provide whatever assistance is necessary in the investigation and response.

Vice President Joe Biden was on a conference call with gun control activists when staffers turned on televisions in his office Monday to view coverage of the explosions. Biden said during the call that his prayers were with those who suffered injuries.

This is a breaking news update. Please check back soon for further information.

Update

Breaking: At least 2 dead, Over 100 reported injured in Boston Marathon explosions

c12bd06c24d52c85e0848fe7df834_h338_w600_m6_lfalse.jpg

The Boston Marathon came to a halt after two explosions were reported near the race's finish line. Preliminary reports say at least two are dead and more than 100 are injured. President Obama made a statement Monday evening.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-AFKEmfho4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K-AFKEmfho4?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4y19PG6ZO14?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4y19PG6ZO14?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

BOSTON — 2 explosions shattered the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race stopped altogether, in what is being described as a smoky and bloodied scene.

A law enforcement official has confirmed that one of the two victims killed today was eight years old, various media are reporting.

The FBI and the White House are deeming this a terrorist attack, although it is unsure if it is domestic or international.

In a national address Monday evening, President Obama said, "We still do not know who did this or why. But make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this. Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups will feel the full weight of justice."

The president did not stay for reporters' questions, and focused on the help given to the victims and their families in his speech. "The American people will say a prayer for Boston tonight," he said.

Raw: Two explosions hit…

Raw: Two explosions hit end of Boston Marathon
2 hr ago 0:41 Views: 100k AP
At least two people are dead and 100 others injured, according to a report by the Boston Globe. Boston police have also confirmed an "incendiary device or fire" at the John F. Kennedy Library, a few miles away.
http://content1.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/aa94042a-03f8-44b2-aa59-c336c221427c.mp4

In a news conference, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis confirmed the explosions and provided security measures for Boston citizens. "Don't go any place and congregate in large crowds," Davis said.

Davis also said the incident is an ongoing event and said it is unclear if the explosion at the JFK library is related to the two explosions at the finish line.

Both Davis and Boston Gov. Deval Patrick expressed the necessity for tips and information from witnesses. The Boston Bombs Tipline can be reached at 800-494-TIPS, and to locate victims, the public can call 617-635-4500.

A law enforcement official said cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives. But officials with Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel said there had been no such requests.

Boston Marathon explosions: Explosions were reported near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.Bing Maps. Boston Marathon explosions: Explosions were reported near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Click on the map for more photos from the Boston Marathon explosion.
532dbf157fae8f24b38e9a4a7e16af_h0_w282_m6_lfalse.jpg

Two high-level U.S. law enforcement sources said one or more bombs was responsible for the explosions. An intelligence official said that two more explosive devices have been found and are being dismantled near the scene.

The explosions occurred as thousands of runners finished the 117th running of the Boston Marathon, with crowds watching and cheering at the finish line, with the clock reading at just over four hours.

Related: Boston blasts prompt UK review of London Marathon

The New York Police Department has stepped up security around landmarks in Manhattan, including near prominent hotels, said Paul Browne, deputy commissioner of the NYPD.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.

Neither race officials nor public officials could immediately estimate the number or degree of injuries.

EXPLOSIONS HEARD SECONDS APART

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

Smoke rose from the blasts, fluttering through the national flags lining the route of the world's oldest and most prestigious marathon. TV helicopter footage showed blood staining the pavement in the popular shopping and tourist area known as the Back Bay.

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.

Multiple explosions go off…

Multiple explosions go off at Boston Marathon
2 hr ago 1:18 Views: 28k US
"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."

http://content2.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/138e8b8d-ef39-42c0-bacd-2469ff0e2f31.mp4

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place.

Mike Mitchell of Vancouver, Canada, a runner who had finished the race, said he was looking back at the finish line and saw a "massive explosion."

Smoke rose 50 feet in the air, Mitchell said. People began running and screaming after hearing the noise, Mitchell said.

"Everybody freaked out," Mitchell said.

OBAMA NOTIFIED

The Secret Service expanded its security perimeter at the White House on Monday following the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

http://content5.catalog.video.msn.com/e2/ds/0ca5d03c-a1d7-4b01-8570-c27cc685bf59.mp4

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said the measure was taken "out of an abundance of caution" and noted that it was not unusual to expand or contract the security perimeters.

President Barack Obama was briefed on the explosions by FBI Director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano. The White House said the president also spoke with Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino and pledged to provide whatever federal support was needed in responding to the incident.

Witnesses describe…

Witnesses describe Boston Marathon blasts
1 hr ago 1:13 Views: 2k AP Online Video
Vice President Joe Biden was on a conference call with gun control activists when staffers turned on televisions in his office Monday to view coverage of the explosions. He said during the call that his prayers were with those in Boston.

The Secret Service, as part of its expanded security near the White House, shut down Pennsylvania Avenue, cordoning off the area with yellow police tape. Several Secret Service patrol cars also blocked off the entry points to the road.

The White House was not on lockdown and tourists and other onlookers were still able to be in the park across the street from the executive mansion.

This is a breaking news update. Please check back soon for further information.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrNMhQ4Rx08?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MrNMhQ4Rx08?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
0ecb05955841f7af8dfc1d7e8af_h300_w610_m6_utrue_lfalse.jpg

http://news.msn.com/us/explosion-reported-near-boston-marathon

Last edited:
Yes, I think it's terrible. :no: I mean people were just having race marathon and then, this. The world is so bad. My heart goes out to anyone that was there and their loved ones. :pray:

My prayers & thoughts are with the victims & their families

This reminds me of september 11 2001 :'( too heartbreaking

My thoughts and prayers goes for the people and the city of Boston. I hope the +140 people are alright. Plus the Bruins postponed their home game against the Ottawa Senators for which they did a right thing. My heart goes to Boston.

This just to overwhelming. I can't even watch the footage or read of the carnage. :( My prayers go out to all.

Same here. I cannot watch the coverage and I try to avoid the images. Horrible. What a coward one must be to build bombs to maim and kill others. I'll never walk to Boylston again carefree. I lived and and worked there, Newbury Street was the first thing I explored when I came to the US. Many of the surgeons and nurses wear equipment we made for them. :cry:

Our friends were all unharmed, some were at the marathon, too. One friend didn't make it to the marathon this year.

All my love to everyone that has to live with this act of horror.
But as Colbert said "Those who did this don't know s*(& about the people of Boston."
And he's right.

I was hearbroken when I saw photos of the 8 year old, one of the photo is that he attended TD Garden to see the Bruins game. I can't believe that a possible a young fellow Bruins fan would be gone from this tragedy.

Police: One Boston bombing suspect dead, another on the run:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/19/us/boston-area-violence/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"(CNN) -- Police sealed off densely populated portions the Boston metro area early Friday after a violent night of chasing the Boston Marathon terror suspects left one of the men and a police officer dead.

Police ordered businesses in the suburb of Watertown and nearby communities to stay closed and told residents to stay inside and answer the door for no one but authorities. Boston authorities advised the same. The city's subway, bus and Amtrak train systems have been shut down. Taxi service across the city was suspended. Every Boston area school is closed.

"It's jarring," said CNN Belief blog writer Danielle Tumminio, who lives in Watertown.

Boston's public transit authority sent city buses to Watertown to evacuate residents while bomb experts combed the surroundings for possible explosives.

Police shot one of the men dead after a wild car chase through Watertown in which authorities say they hurled explosives at pursuing officers.

Police believe the men are the same ones pictured in images released Thursday by the FBI as suspects in the marathon bombing that killed three people Monday.

The men are shown in the images walking together near the marathon finish line.

Several sources told CNN that the dead suspect has been identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26. The one still being sought is Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, age 19.

The first suspect, the one believed killed by police, appears in the images wearing a dark hat, sunglasses and a backpack. The second suspect, wearing a white cap, is the one who remains at large, police said.

Police warned Watertown residents to lock their homes and stay away from their windows and doors.

Federal, state and local law officers are swarming through Watertown, going door-to-door to track him down, said Massachusetts State Police spokesman Col. Timothy Alben.

Police officers in full body armor, carrying automatic weapons, flooded the area as authorities praised residents for their cooperation.

"We need more time," Alben said. "We're making significant progress up there. But it may take hours to do this."

"This situation is grave." Alben said earlier. "This is a very serious situation that we are dealing with."

The violence began late Thursday with the robbery of a 7/11 convenience store, he said. Soon after, in Cambridge, across the Charles River from Boston, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer was fatally shot while he sat in his car, the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office said in statement. Police believe the bombing suspects were responsible for the shooting.

The same two suspects, according to authorities, then hijacked a car at gunpoint in Cambridge. They released the driver a half-hour later at a gas station.

As police picked up the chase, the car's occupants threw explosives out the windows and shot at officers, according to the district attorney's office.

Officers fired back, wounding one of the men, possibly the person identified by the FBI as suspect No. 1, who is seen in the images released Thursday in a dark cap, sunglasses and wearing a black backpack.

The man died at Beth Israel Hospital. He had bullet wounds and injuries from an explosion, according to officials. The second man apparently escaped on foot.

Richard H. Donohue Jr., 33, a three-year veteran of the transit system police force, was shot and wounded in the incident and taken to a hospital, a transit police spokesman said Friday. The officer's condition was not immediately known.

CNN photographer Gabe Ramirez arrived in Watertown as the chase ended.

"Police were in a standoff with the vehicle just down the hill," Ramirez said. They ordered one suspect out and commanded him to strip down completely naked before putting him in a patrol car, which did not leave the scene.

The man was later released and is not a suspect in the case.

But while the man was being held, FBI agents approached the squad car, and police ordered the man back out of the car. FBI agents questioned him -- still fully undressed -- on the sidewalk.

In an early phase of the lockdown, a man could be seen lying face down on the street with his hands outstretched in front of him and his legs crossed. It is unclear whether this was the man who was arrested and ordered to undress.

Details about suspects

According to a source briefed on the investigation, the suspects involved in the Boston bombing are originally from the Russian Caucasus and had moved to Kazakhstan at a young age before coming to the United States several years ago.

Another source, from federal law enforcement, also told CNN that the man being sought has been in the United States for at least a couple of years.

The man identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older brother, had studied at Bunker Hill Community College and wanted to become a engineer, the source said. He then took a year off to train as a boxer.

The source told CNN's Deborah Feyerick that a posting on a social media site in his name included the comments: "I don't have a single American friend. I don't understand them."

The source added that it should not be assumed that either brother was radicalized because of their Chechen origins."

I would have preferred that the guy wasn't killed and instead was made to live through his punishment and have to feel the guilt. But i think the police are doing a great job and hopefully the other suspect will be caught, or hand himself in.

I cried when i found out an 8 year old boy was among the casualties, my little brother is 6 and i couldnt imagine anything happening to him. I cant even begin to imagine what his family must be feeling

I would have preferred that the guy wasn't killed and instead was made to live through his punishment and have to feel the guilt.g

Terrorists never feel guilty for what they're doing. There's a film called Four Lions that everyone should watch. It's a Comedy based in London, about a group of brainwashed Terrorists and how their minds work.

This is sad of what happend in Boston while the runners was doing thier thing in the Marathon my heart goes out the families & the friends of the Explosions in Boston. :angel: :(

The Virgin London Marathon took place just 6 days after the Boston Marathon and a silence was observed. All runners were asked to wear a black ribbon to show solidarity with Boston:

Tens of thousands of runners have taken part in the London Marathon, many with black ribbons on their vests in honour of the victims of the Boston bombings.

A record 700,000 spectators lined the streets as the 36,000 runners set off from Blackheath, where a 30-second silence was held.

Three people died and more than 170 were injured by Monday's blasts, near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
Hundreds of extra police officers were drafted in as reassurance in London.

About half a million people were expected to watch the race, although official estimates have yet to be made.

Just before the start of the main race, event commentator Geoff Wightman introduced the half-minute silence.

"Marathon running is a global sport," he said.

"It unites runners and supporters on every continent in pursuit of a common challenge and in the spirit of friendship and fellowship."

He said the marathon family had been "shocked and saddened" by the events in Boston and the silence was to show "our respect and support for the victims".

A senior US diplomat based in the UK said the commemoration underlined the "special relationship" between the two countries.

Barbara Stephenson, Charge d'Affaires at the US Embassy, told Sky News: "We've had responses from Her Majesty the Queen, all through Twitter from the British people, and now we have got tens of thousands of London Marathon runners wearing a black ribbon in solidarity with the people of Boston.

"As my senior law enforcement person said on Friday afternoon, it's moments like this when you know what the special relationship's really all about."

The event appears to have passed off without incident.

Race director Hugh Brasher said before the race that a full security review had taken place and everyone had been adamant that the "show must go on".

The Metropolitan Police said it had reviewed security plans after the Boston attacks and that the extra officers would be used for "for reassurance patrols".

St John Ambulance said more than 5,000 runners and spectators received medical treatment at this year's event, slightly more than last year because of warmer weather during the early part of the race.

The first aid organisation's events manager Katherine Eaton said: "Most of the runners who needed treatment were suffering from cramp, sprains, exhaustion and vomiting.

"More than 40 competitors were taken to hospital suffering from more serious conditions including exercise-associated collapse and suspected fractures."

Australia's Kurt Fearnley was the first athlete to cross the line, winning the men's wheelchair race, with Great Britain's David Weir behind in fifth.

Tatyana McFadden won the women's wheelchair race less than a week after winning the equivalent race in Boston.
<!-- Embedding the video player --><!-- This is the embedded player component --><!-- wwrights check --><!-- Empty country is used on test environment -->She said: "You know this whole weekend was dedicated to Boston and we got huge support from London. So, I couldn't be happier - just getting support. It was just a wonderful day."

In the women's elite race, there was controversy early on when 2010 wheelchair winner Josh Cassidy dropped out after a collision with Olympic champion runner Tiki Gelana.

She continued running but was off the pace and her race was won by Kenyan Priscah Jeptoo in a time of 2:20:15.
The men's race was won by Ethiopian Tsegaye Kebede, who overtook 2011 champion Emmanuel Mutai in the closing stages, in a time of 2:06:04.

Mo Farah, who won the 5,000m and 10,000m at the 2012 London Olympics, ran only the first half of the 26.2-mile course.
Afterwards he praised the atmosphere of the crowd and said the experience was good practice ahead of him running the full race next year.

Singer Katherine Jenkins, cricketer Andrew Strauss and McFly's Harry Judd were among the well-known names running.
Among other runners taking part:

Prince Harry, who is the patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust, gave the winners their medals.

He said it was "never an option" that he would not be at the race because of security fears following the Boston bombings.

"The great thing about the marathon is no matter what colour you are, or religion, no matter what nationality you are, everyone comes together to run a certain distance to raise money for amazing causes.

"I think that you can never that take away from people."

Meanwhile, specialist US terrorism officers are waiting to question Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the surviving suspect in the twin bombings close to the finish line of the Boston Marathon.

Mr Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan, died after a shootout with police.

Virgin London Marathon has pledged to donate £2 for every runner that finishes Sunday's event to The One Fund Boston set up to raise money for victims of the explosions.

126409396__406541c.jpg

_67142262_silence.jpg

_67146161_mohawk_getty.jpg

_67142562_towerb_pa976.jpg

_67142563_comp_976.jpg

_67146159_comp_fun976.jpg

_67141787_police3_ap.jpg

130421121203-london-marathon-for-boston-shirt-horizontal-gallery.jpg

london-marathon-default.jpg

Back