Ever help someone you don't really know too well..

LindaC781

Proud Member
But they needed you, and showed up at your door??

And they really needed YOUR personal intervention??

Would you?

We've done this now twice in our lives. The first time was when I was about 15 years old...

One day, my sister (who was very popular in school - was a member of the Student Council etc) brought a 16-year-old young man to meet my parents. His name was Herb Shucher, and was in need of a good home. You see, Herb, his brother Arthur (15 years old) and his father Herb Shucher Sr. (you may have run across his name once or twice before - he was the manager for Jim Reeves in Nashville in the 1950's) lived together in an apartment across town from us. Herb Sr. was dying of cancer. Herb Jr.'s mother was in no way able to take care of her two boys. Herb Sr. came up North to get good medical treatment for h is cancer. Our town is close to Boston, so he moved up here to see if he be successfully treated. Apparently, the man waited too long... By the time he came up to our town, the cancer ravaged his body so much that to obtain remission was impossible. Herb Jr. and Arthur were frightened. Without their father, their future was uncertain. They needed a place to stay.

So, here comes my sister, bless her heart. She was always doing these types of things. Whether it be rescueing a bird with a damaged wing back to health, or taking a younger child under her wing, to working with needy adults in the Walter E. Fernald School, she was always there to help...she's still like that. Anyway, she suggested to Herb that he stay with our family in our house, while his younger brother Arthur go to another family in town. So, we took Herb in.

Musical talent was not foresaken with both Herb and Arthur. Herb was an EXTREMELY talented drummer. He was a member of our high school marching band. Arthur, his brother, was a very good alto saxophone player. In fact, BOTH brothers were in our high school concert and marching bands. My father was band director back then.

It was fun having Herb live with us!! He was like the big brother I never had. One time, I stayed up to watch New Year's Rocking Eve on TV. I was 10 years older than my baby brother, and had to babysit many times on New Year's Eve. My parents would go out and work New Years - they were (and still are) musicians. My mother played the drums, and my father played keyboards and any other instrument he got his hands on..

So, I sat there watching Dick Clark herald in the year 1976 - Chicago was featured that year. The next thing I know, Herb shows up and sits down next to me to keep me company. We had a lot of good conversations back then - about his drums, about life, about what the future may hold, you name it. I treasured those times for so long.

Anyway, time went by and both my sister and I finally graduated High School. My sister went on to music college, and I started a pre-med/biology program at a university. Then, years went by, and the memory of Herb and his brother Arthur became a distant blur. Their memory became like a blot on the landscape that gets smaller the further you traveled away from it. We would go camping and do other things...we were very busy back then. All of a sudden, the memory of Herb came flooding back to me. I wondered where he was, how he was doing and whatever happened to him? So I asked my Dad about it. He said "You don't know? Herb landed a job working with none other than Randy Travis in Nashville - he's his drummer!" I thought "Good Lord!! I KNEW that kid was good!! Wow!! Good for him - I wonder if he remembers us - remembers me?"

Years continued to go by and we continued to live our lives....until one day, Herb contacted me through the Classmates.com site! I had registered there because I was curious as to what all of my other classmates ended up doing after graduation. Actually I contacted Herb first. I sent him a nice email, asking him if he remembered us. His response? He said he never forgot the kindness we bestowed on him and his brother all of those years ago!!

Well, that year we met back up with Herb. He and the band were in town - Randy was playing the Shriners Auditorium in the next town over, and reserved tickets for the family!! When he saw us, he got kinda weepy....he was so proud to have us back in his life again - he introduced us to his whole tour band!! It was great!! He still calls my mother "Mom". He's married now, with one child. It must have been very difficult those years growing up...but I am glad I contacted him and he's back in our lives, in one way or another...

My mother even got a set of rims from him custom-made!! He was a sweetheart back then, and he still is one. He and his wife and child are truly blessings...

And now. My sister took in a little boy (18 years old - little to me). He was living in a tent in the back of a school. He was born crack-addicted, and has a very lousy childhood up to this point. He was physically and sexually abused as a child. When my sister intervened (she taught him from grade 1 to 4 - she's a music teacher), he was ready to commit suicide.

If you had a chance would you take in a stranger if they really really needed it?

I guess I can say I've always carried a bit of MJ's giving persona my whole life. I think he would have done this too. He is that type of human being - caring, giving, loving....

I'm a selfish person I think. I don't think I could take someone in and give them that chance. Kinda sad to admit I guess.... but I know me, if I let one in, I'll let all of them in. :blush:

yes I do help out people I don't know very well...sometimes they're ungrateful and that hurts...but I'll never change

I was thinking about the title and I realised that I got distracted by Linda's awesome story. I often help others that I don't know very well. I got into teaching so that I could work with kids and try and help them achieve their dreams... but also I always get active in raising awareness for causes within the school.
I help on a small scale because I couldn't do something like what Linda described in her first post.
There's an old lady who lives at the end of our street and I don't really know her but I always wave to her when I walk or ride past.
Sometimes I see her sitting at the bus stop waiting for a bus and I stop and see if she would like a lift into town, sometimes she is happy for the offer and I drop her off where she would like to go, and sometimes she tells me that she enjoys sitting and resting. As it's just a 2 minute car ride I don't really get to know her but at least I know her name is Daisy and that she has 4 grandchildren :)

I find it rewarding, it's very true that you only get back what you give out :)

I was thinking about the title and I realised that I got distracted by Linda's awesome story. I often help others that I don't know very well. I got into teaching so that I could work with kids and try and help them achieve their dreams... but also I always get active in raising awareness for causes within the school.
I help on a small scale because I couldn't do something like what Linda described in her first post.
There's an old lady who lives at the end of our street and I don't really know her but I always wave to her when I walk or ride past.
Sometimes I see her sitting at the bus stop waiting for a bus and I stop and see if she would like a lift into town, sometimes she is happy for the offer and I drop her off where she would like to go, and sometimes she tells me that she enjoys sitting and resting. As it's just a 2 minute car ride I don't really get to know her but at least I know her name is Daisy and that she has 4 grandchildren :)

LJ - You are like that every day. Every day you can reach out and touch a child's heart through your teaching, you are doing this. Who knows? Your classroom may be one place that that child feels safe....because his/her home situation is unbearable...

Think of this story...

From: http://thosewhocan.blogspot.com/2005/09/teachers-touch-lives-forever.html
Teachers Touch Lives Forever

We all have at least one. Even if you despised school, most everyone can name one teacher who has had an effect on their life, be it positive or negative. We do, after all, often spend more time with teachers than we do with our own family, or even with our friends, when growing up. So, it shouldn't come as any surprise that teachers have such an influence on our lives.

Inside TV magazine posted a list recently of the "Most Memorable Teachers on TV." Number one on the list was Mr. Kotter, teacher of the famous Sweathogs on the 70s television show Welcome Back Kotter. A few of the other TV teachers honored were Laura Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie, Mark Cooper from Hangin' with Mr. Cooper, Lydia Grant on Fame and Edna Krobappel, the teacher on The Simpsons.

What? No Mr. Feeney from Boy Meets World? He was one of the most realistic teachers on the air, as he was not only a teacher, but also a counselor, friend, confidante and constant encourager. And what about all the teachers on my favorite, now-defunct teacher show, Boston Public? They struggled with real-world problems in a public high school and still managed to motivate students and keep them learning to the best of their ability under the circumstances provided. That's real teaching.

As I reflected on this list, I was reminded of my all-time favorite teacher. Mr. Mike Maloney was my 7th and 8th grade Social Studies teacher. He was also my homeroom teacher for 8th grade. To an adolescent, Mr. Maloney was the coolest. His teaching strategies were far ahead of his time; he used games and fun activities to help us learn, and it worked. I remember his famous boys vs. girls "Capital Downs" where we had to know the capital of every country in the world. Other than the new countries created since then, I can still recite all the capital cities. (It is a great way to impress my students, let me tell you. Plus, if I'm ever on Jeopardy, I'm sure to clear the "Capital City" category.) Mr. Maloney played the guitar and put things we needed to learn to music. Again, way ahead of his time. When John Lennon was shot and killed in 1981, we spent the day in mourning singing Beatles' songs along to his guitar accompaniment. I respected Mr. Maloney so much. When he caught me copying off of Kim Connelly's test, I didn't feel badly because of my failing grade. I felt badly because I had failed my teacher. Mr. Maloney knew the importance of making learning active and fun. He was friends with us, but we also knew that he wanted us to leave his class educated. Because we liked and respected him, we met, and often exceeded, his expectations.

Thirteen years ago, when I got my first full-time teaching job, I called Mr. Maloney to thank him for being such an inspiration to me. It's because of him that I am a teacher, and I wanted to tell him that. I was sorry to find out that he had left the teaching field. (I have discovered that some of the best educators are not liked by administrators, yet adored and revered by their students. I wonder why that is...) He wasn't at all surprised that I had become a teacher. He claimed that he knew I would be. We went on to chat about our families, other classmates and where our lives had taken us over the years. Just like when I was a 7th and 8th grader, I was taken by the fact that Mr. Maloney was still so cool and my most memorable teacher ever.

So, what about you? Who is your most memorable teacher and how did they affect you or change your life?

That's an awesome story, sometimes it's great to get that reminder occasionaly :) A while back we had a Professional Development day and a guest speaker said that most students probably wont remember how you construct your lessons, but they will remember the relationships they have with their teachers.
I often forget all this though with my panic to plan lessons and to make sure I have equipment and chasing up assignments and report writing and calling parents about their child and reprimanding my homegroup members for the naughty things they do and making sure to celebrate student achievements and organising days off campus and detention and extra curricular activities and all those other crazy things :lol:
At the moment it is so hectic with report writing season and exams in fullswing that it's hard to remember that the student who is following me from one classroom to the other and chattering to me about her pet cat, might not get the chance to connect to another adult about her seemingly trivial conversation. I drove my mentor nuts when I was learning a few years back because of the "in between places" conversations I was having with students, she kept telling me that if I'm not careful they will never shut up and it will creep into lesson time.... but my answer was simply.. "what's wrong with saying alright we have to do our lesson now but you can chat to me and finish your story after the lesson?"

I know there's probably a point in that post somewhere.... :lol:

as for fictional teachers, my fav's were the cast from Boston Public annnnd from film would have to be Glenn Holland (Richard Dreyfuss) from Mr Holland's Opus, Ron Clark (Matthew Perry) from The Ron Clark Story, and Sister Mary Clarence (Whoopi) from Sister Act 2 :lol: I know there's other's I just can't think right now... there's that one with Hilary Swank "Freedom Writers" and of course captain my captain... Robin William's role in Dead Poet's Society ^_^ ^_^ I'd love to be an extraordinary teacher like one of these characters :)

I'm a selfish person I think. I don't think I could take someone in and give them that chance. Kinda sad to admit I guess.... but I know me, if I let one in, I'll let all of them in. :blush:
whatever time or resources you volunteer for others is equally commendable. selfish, my arse lol

That's an awesome story, sometimes it's great to get that reminder occasionaly :) A while back we had a Professional Development day and a guest speaker said that most students probably wont remember how you construct your lessons, but they will remember the relationships they have with their teachers.
I often forget all this though with my panic to plan lessons and to make sure I have equipment and chasing up assignments and report writing and calling parents about their child and reprimanding my homegroup members for the naughty things they do and making sure to celebrate student achievements and organising days off campus and detention and extra curricular activities and all those other crazy things :lol:
At the moment it is so hectic with report writing season and exams in fullswing that it's hard to remember that the student who is following me from one classroom to the other and chattering to me about her pet cat, might not get the chance to connect to another adult about her seemingly trivial conversation. I drove my mentor nuts when I was learning a few years back because of the "in between places" conversations I was having with students, she kept telling me that if I'm not careful they will never shut up and it will creep into lesson time.... but my answer was simply.. "what's wrong with saying alright we have to do our lesson now but you can chat to me and finish your story after the lesson?"

I know there's probably a point in that post somewhere.... :lol:

as for fictional teachers, my fav's were the cast from Boston Public annnnd from film would have to be Glenn Holland (Richard Dreyfuss) from Mr Holland's Opus, Ron Clark (Matthew Perry) from The Ron Clark Story, and Sister Mary Clarence (Whoopi) from Sister Act 2 :lol: I know there's other's I just can't think right now... there's that one with Hilary Swank "Freedom Writers" and of course captain my captain... Robin William's role in Dead Poet's Society ^_^ ^_^ I'd love to be an extraordinary teacher like one of these characters :)

LJ - I bet you underestimate your ability as a teacher - I bet you are awesome!

L.J it doesn't matter what scale you help, inspire, guide others...I believe if there is just one person that needs some TLC (tender, loving, care)...then you are helping to help Heal The World~~~:angel:

Back