Event Travel charging £60 'administration fee' for cancellation of This Is It package

smetsers

Proud Member
In March 2009 I booked a package deal for the This Is It concert on January 9th 2010. It was booked with eventtravel.co.uk, an authorized dealer promoted by AEG Live and Ticket Master. The package consisted of a night stay in the Hilton Canary Wharf, tickets to the This Is It concert and an Event Cancellation Insurance for a total of £460 (two persons).

Of course, after the death of Michael the concert was cancelled and after a few weeks I applied for a refund. In July I got a reply from Event Travel saying they would refund me the money, minus an administration fee of £30 per person. Considering the total amount of £ 460, this would mean an administration fee of almost 14 percent of the complete package.

We all know the concert promotor, AEG Live, has provided a full refund for ticket buyers of the concerts. These refunds included ALL ticket charges. No administration costs were applied. The T&C of Event Travel state that Event Travel "will look where possible to keep any cancellation charges to a minimum.". But I'm getting getting the impression Event Travel is trying to raise the cancellation costs to a maximum. Supporting this is the fact that the Event Cancellation Insurance, which I purchased along with the tickets, applies a claim excess of exactly £30 per person. In other words: The Event Cancellation Insurance that I booked with the tickets is completely useless, since it only covers damage above (exactly!) £30.

I think charging £60 'administration fee' for an event that would take place 6 months after the cancellation date is outrageous. Of course I contacted Event Travel about this but I got a standard and formal reply many weeks later.

I'm looking for people that also booked this package with Event Travel and want to join forces to get our money back. I'm also looking for people in the UK who can assist claiming the money back. It's not about the money itself, I would gladly donate it to charity, but I think it's unfair that Event Travel is charging so much money for a concert that was cancelled six months ahead, and for very sad reasons.

Back