Etta James Disses Beyonce

Etta James Disses Beyonce's Inauguration Performance

Posted Thu Feb 5, 2009 12:42pm PST by Billy Johnson, Jr. in Hip-Hop Media Training
It's safe to assume that Beyonce's portrayal of Etta James in the retro film Cadillac Records did not impress the legendary soul singer.

The 71-year-old pioneer, who rose to fame in 1950s, recently made it clear that she was not a fan of the self-proclaimed diva whose third solo album I Am...Sasha Fierce is the #3 album in the country.
Before performing "At Last" at Seattle's Paramount Theatre last Wednesday, James complained about Beyonce singing the song for President Obama and wife Michelle's first dance at the Neighborhood Ball.
"You know that woman he had singing for him, singing my song, she's going to get her a-- whipped," Etta said to a thunderous applause. She went on to add that she could not "stand" Beyonce.
Some dismiss James' anger as jealously, saying that she is only upset because she was not invited to perform the song herself.
However, James' anger warrants the asking of a few key questions:
Did anyone from Obama or Beyonce's camps contact James beforehand to seek her blessing?
Since Etta is not credited as a songwriter for "At Last," she technically does not have the authority to approve who sings the song. However, considering the significance of the song being performed at the inauguration ball for the first African American president and furthermore the song being used for the president's first dance with the first lady, consulting James beforehand would have been the honorable thing to do. I know that appropriate clearances were already in place for Beyonce to perform the song for the promotion of Cadillac Records, but the inauguration is a historical, not promotional, event.
Additionally, based on James' rant, she is not a fan of the president either. When addressing the Seattle crowd, she referred to Obama as "your president...the one with the big ears," and added, "he's not my president."
Was James even considered to sing or even invited to the inauguration?
Let's be honest, would the inauguration committee have asked Beyonce to sing an Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross or Tina Turner song in lieu of having their involvement? We all know the answer to that question. Since Etta has said that she is not a supporter of Obama, had she received an invite or not, maybe she would not have attended. To take it a step further, if Etta had made it clear that she did not want any ties to Obama, why then would they use her staple song to celebrate his first day of presidency?
Ironically, the day following Beyonce's January 20 performance, James' son Donto James was quoted in the New York Daily News saying that his mother loved the rendition. "She thought it was great," Donto said. "She's gotten emotional, just like everybody else."
This isn't the first time Beyonce has caught flack from one of her predecessors. Almost exactly one year ago, I blogged about a tongue lashing Beyonce received from Aretha Franklin. The Queen Of Soul was upset with Beyonce for referring to Tina Turner as "the Queen" during an introduction at last year's Grammys.
In this instance, I sided with Beyonce. I agree that Aretha is the sole Queen Of Soul, but also acknowledge that Tina Turner, too, is a queen.
In the case of Etta James, I take Etta's side. Though her reaction is crass for someone of her stature, I feel that she was robbed of a moment in history. Considering her struggles to break into the music business in the 1950s and ability to prevail with such great success (she was inducted in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1993), she should have had the opportunity to sing the song (that she popularized) for the president.
If "At Last" had not been significant and did not express the message that the inauguration committee wanted to convey, they would have selected another song. But they wanted "At Last."
I bet Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" wasn't even up for discussion.
A representative for Beyonce said that the singer does not have a statement or comment at this time.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hi...mes-disses-beyonces-inauguration-performance/

In all honesty, I have to agree with Etta. Beyonce just butchered that song. Etta is one of the greatest singers of all time and it just showed how greatly Beyonce is actually lacking when she attempted to sing "At Last". Beyonce seems good by todays standards, because todays standards are so low, but compared to the greats like Etta, she seems decidedly average.

Meh, sounds like she's being a bit petty to me. She's entitled to her opinion, and I'd think Beyonce would want to meet with a person she's going to portray, but as for singing the song at the Neighborhood Ball... I don't see what the issue with that is. She did a straight-forward rendition.

Apparently, when Etta was asked about it, she said she was joking and that she loved it when Beyonce portrayed her in the film, she was just upset she wasn't asked to be part of that thing or at least Beyonce didn't let her do it, lol.

seems most things surrounding beyonce these days is controversial. wonder how come that is.

Apparently, when Etta was asked about it, she said she was joking and that she loved it when Beyonce portrayed her in the film, she was just upset she wasn't asked to be part of that thing or at least Beyonce didn't let her do it, lol.
At first I was confused if she was joking or getting mad, but now I'm leaning toward the former. The kind of joke from a strong, tough person. It can be revealing that she wanted to be there singing her own song and expressing that playfully, as if she's knocking Beyonce.

ugh I dunno about you guys but if I was a singer with hits to my name... and I was asked to sing at a historical event... but to sing someone else's signature song... I wouldn't feel comfortable.. especially if that someone else is still alive and kicking I'd be like "Why not have Etta sing this herself instead of me?"

This whole thing from the get go is petty politics "let's have the nice young popular pop star sing the nice classic by the older lady so we get more ratings and young people interested in the political world"

at least that's how I see it LOL

Etta said she's not mad at Beyonce at all, she's just miffed Obama himself didn't ask HER to sing the song but hey what happened happened, can't change it. It was good looking at the news while it lasted but it's all just garbage at the end of the day...as most media coverage is.

Etta James Can Stand Beyoncé

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Turns out Etta James has just been adding a little standup comedy to her concerts.

The veteran chanteuse, who made headlines last week for telling a Seattle audience that she "can't stand" Beyoncé, said Thursday that she was purely joking—despite the fact that she feels she would have done a better job singing her signature tune, "At Last," to Barack and Michelle Obama at the Neighborhood Inaugural Ball.

"I didn't really mean anything," James told the New York Daily News of her onstage aside. "Even as a little child, I've always had that comedian kind of attitude...That's probably what went into it."

"Nobody was getting mad at me in Seattle," she added. "They were all laughing, and it was funny." Her little speech did not arise "from a vicious place."

But when asked if she could have out-sung Beyoncé, who played James in Cadillac Records and walked the red carpet with her at the film's premiere, the elder stateswoman of R&B replied, "I think so. That's a shame to say that."

James also figures that Obama probably isn't too miffed that she referred to him as "the one with the big ears" last week.

"He's got other stuff [to worry about] besides Etta James."

Well Etta, you're right that you could of outsung Beyonce, lol. No contest. I thought Beyonce absolutely destroyed that song, bad timing, bad quality of voice. It just pailed in comparison to Etta's voice and musical sense.

Meh, sounds like she's being a bit petty to me. She's entitled to her opinion, and I'd think Beyonce would want to meet with a person she's going to portray, but as for singing the song at the Neighborhood Ball... I don't see what the issue with that is. She did a straight-forward rendition.

Agreed. Beyonce didn't butcher "At Last".

However, Mariah should be ripping into herself for butchering her own song.

Anyways, these "Queen" battles are funny :lol:

Thanks for the additional article tim. :)

i like etta and it says now she was joking..but even though she is most famous for the song..i believe two other people sang it before her..Mr. Nat King cole and someone else before him as well. its one thing if you dont write the song but totally something else if two other people sang it before you and then you come out and say what she said joking or not. lol

and beyonce may be premoting her movie at the wrong time..at the wrong event!! but i also think the girl is trying to sing 'the ultimate song' in this movie to compete with jennifer hudson outshining her in dream girls with that other song. beyonce i think should have sang her own song. it was too etta and not B. but the song fit the forum. but i rather etta up there sing it. but whatevr now.

Normally I would say, let Etta do it! I mean, it is her song and she's still alive, lol. If I was Beyonce I would have said: If you want that song you should probably get Etta to do it...

BUT

If Etta has stated that she is not an Obama supporter (I'm going off of the first article) then I would tell her to SHOVE IT! That would just be dumb. Why don't we get Sarah Palin and John McCain to do a salsa at Obama's inauguration party too, lol.

I knew ya'll would be mad at Etta for dissing Obama. She's just mad he didn't invite her, I doubt it's politically motivated at all. If she doesn't like Obama's politics, she has a right, but I doubt that's her reasoning. Not everyone is gonna love the Prez, lol.

I knew ya'll would be mad at Etta for dissing Obama. She's just mad he didn't invite her, I doubt it's politically motivated at all. If she doesn't like Obama's politics, she has a right, but I doubt that's her reasoning. Not everyone is gonna love the Prez, lol.

Agree I think it was more about the Beyonce thing then anything and I think that she did mean the comment I dont understand why she backed down from it because it was true. It doesnt matter if 2 people sung that song before Etta. Etta James is best known because of that song.

They could have asked Etta James to sing the song but they asked Beyonce to sing it ONLY because she IS popular period. They could have asked any singer that could sing to sing at that dance but I would have asked etta to sing that song it IS her song and she IS still alive but it does not matter and its not a big of deal. Thats how hollywood is they just go for what is popular and what will draw attention.

I didn't like Etta's comment about Obama. The big ears part was uncalled for. There is nothing wrong with big ears. LOL. However, let's be real: Etta had to say that she was joking because of the media already having a field day with her true comment about that heifer, Beyonce. Second, Etta was known and still known for her honest and blunt personality. The way she said it, sounds like she really was not joking and really meant what she said.

I didn't see the point of Beyonce singing a song that she is not known for. Why didn't she sing any of her songs? Oh, that's right, she is one of the many artists or performers of today that does not sing/rap/do songs with meanings. I almost forgot about that. Etta should have been there to sing her song and if the young people didn't know who she was, they can type her name on google.com and click "submit".

As for if Beyonce "butched" the song, I think that word is kinda harsh. I think Beyonce did a good job with the song, but she was annoying and I wanted her to sit down.

It'll all just be in the wash. I honestly have to pass it as something that just came out of the blue and Etta got to the point where she felt "this girl is not right for taking my song" and spoke up. Anyways, this will likely be in the wash just like the Aretha-Beyonce incident last year.

ugh I dunno about you guys but if I was a singer with hits to my name... and I was asked to sing at a historical event... but to sing someone else's signature song... I wouldn't feel comfortable.. especially if that someone else is still alive and kicking I'd be like "Why not have Etta sing this herself instead of me?"

This whole thing from the get go is petty politics "let's have the nice young popular pop star sing the nice classic by the older lady so we get more ratings and young people interested in the political world"

at least that's how I see it LOL

Basically what I think as well.

hmmmmmmmmm obama should've asked the real ETTA to perform the song or have badon'tsay sing another song b/c etta isn't dead. y have someone else sing a song unless that person isn't alive?

I thought Beyonce did a wonderful job with the song. That Christina version was pretty good too.

Back