Erykah Badu - New Amerykah Part 2

Chihiro2

Proud Member
DuranDuran said:
I wonder what happened to the part 2 of this album.

here it is :D finally!

February 23rd
(no cover yet)

badu452rd.jpg

Neo-soul survivor Erykah Badu is set to follow up her dark funk opus New Amerykah, Part I: 4th World War (which placed on our Best Albums of the Decade list) with New Amerykah, Part II: Return of the Ankh on February 23 courtesy of Universal Motown. The album features production from J Dilla, 9th Wonder, James Poyser, and Madlib, and drumming from the Roots' ?uestlove.

We were lucky enough to hear the record at a listening session last week and can report that Part II is a bit more lighthearted than the ominous and political Part I. As song titles like "Love", "Fall in Love", and "Umm Hmm" suggest, Erykah's in a more contented mood this time around.

"Get Money" features an interpolation of Sylvia Striplin's "You Can't Turn Me Away", which was sampled on the Junior M.A.F.I.A. [ft. the Notorious B.I.G. and Lil Kim] track of the same name. Another song, "Jump in the Air", is said to feature rappers including Lil Wayne and Andre 3000, according to Billboard, but it may not make the final album, possibly due to the fact that an unfinished version was leaked online. And yeah, this is a funky album; it's an Erykah Badu record.

Erykah is set to play a New Year's Eve gig in Hollywood and will tour with this summer's revived Lilith Fair.

tracklist:
01 20 Feet Tall (produced by 9th Wonder)
02 Window Seat (produced by Erykah Badu and James Poyser)
03 Agitation (produced by Shafiq Husayn)
04 Get Money (produced by Erykah Badu, James Poyser, Karriem Riggins and Thundercat)
05 Don't Be Long (produced by Ta’Raach)
06 Love (produced by J Dilla)
07 Umm Hmm (produced by Madlib)
08 Fall in Love (produced by Karriem Riggins)
09 Incense (produced by Madlib)
10 Out My Mind Just in Time (Part 1) (Undercover Over-Lover) (produced by James Poyser)
11 Out My Mind Just in Time (Part 2) (produced by Georgia Anne Muldrow)

Possible bonus track: Jump in the Air [ft. Lil Wayne, Andre 3000, Bilal, and others]

http://pitchfork.com/news/37382-erykah-badu-announces-new-album/

ERYKAH ON THE NEW ALBUM:

"I called it Part II: The Return of the Ankh because this album is the sister of the left side of my brain - it is the right side. Part I was the left side of my thoughts - it was more socially political and my thought process was more analytical. This time there wasn't anything to be concerned with - the album is more emotional and flowy and talks about feelings. With Part I, I was standing at an apex, looking at what was going on around me politically, socially, and economically. With Part II, I’m hovering over me, looking at what’s going on inside of me. It reminds of the days of Baduizm - this is just about beats and rhymes in a cipher. I feel how I felt when I released Baduizm. This is my therapy. New Amerykah Pt. 1 [had a more] digital feel. This time I wanted to have more live instruments. I like how my voice sounds when I'm singing with a piano. I'm glad I don't have to use Auto-Tune. My voice is my gift. But if I had to use [Auto-Tune], I would. We used a lot of analog instruments—harps, strings, drums, piano, and even a Theremin—to give the album that sonic feel. There’s a strong undercurrent of bottom, a rumbling to these songs that feels good to me. It feels like a hug.”

February's gonna be a good month in music :D

Oooh can't wait! How awesome! Part 1 is so addicting and such a different and refreshing album, indeed was overall having a lot of digital elements....cool to see part 2 coming with some more live instruments.

Wonder what she's doing with Lil Wayne though, booo.

Must get more music by her - she is amazing!
Only have the album 'Baduizm', but its one of my faves!
I love 'Apple Tree' and 'Next Lifetime' - and all the others on that album lol!!!
Becca
xxx

YESSSS, Cant wait for the new album... why the hell is she collabing with lil wayne? I hope she doesnt go that route.

lol^^^^ I love the video. Its such a good message and creative. I cant believe that come critics are criticizing her being nude when its exactly trying to convey a good message unlike most videos today that do it for sexuality.

lol^^^^ I love the video. Its such a good message and creative. I cant believe that come critics are criticizing her being nude when its exactly trying to convey a good message unlike most videos today that do it for sexuality.

I agree with you. :yes: These are the same critics who have a prob with Erykah but have no problem with exposed butt shaking in some music videos.

this new album is a killer opus ! i'm never understand why michael jackson has not worked with that types of artists and producers, especially for the invincible album and this whole era, this would have been very incredible !

Do you know if erykah said a few words about the michael jackson death?

this new album is a killer opus ! i'm never understand why michael jackson has not worked with that types of artists and producers, especially for the invincible album and this whole era, this would have been very incredible !

He has, Butterflies with Floetry a neo-soul band.

I agree with you. :yes: These are the same critics who have a prob with Erykah but have no problem with exposed butt shaking in some music videos.

I know right? It irritates me when people do that to current artists WHO EXACTLY make music with substance and not trash.

He has, Butterflies with Floetry a neo-soul band.

I know but that was just one song!!! lol It would have been nice if he switched his genre style up since he did that anyway. I think he could have did alot with neo soul and it would have been excellent anyway since he pours his self and life in his music.

I know right? It irritates me when people do that to current artists WHO EXACTLY make music with substance and not trash.

I know but that was just one song!!! lol It would have been nice if he switched his genre style up since he did that anyway. I think he could have did alot with neo soul and it would have been excellent anyway since he pours his self and life in his music.

I would have love to hear Michael do a neo soul album. I mean this is the only genre of current R & B that has people with actual talent and creativity and Mike would be a perfect match. I hate that neo soul does'nt get that much exposure compared to mainstream R and B.

There's this video on youtube, although i'm not sure when it was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrOzwpWC5Bg&fmt=18

and then she posted this on her blog:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=17447502&blogId=497008579

"michael jackson ... rip ... 06.25.2009ad
Category: Life

It's taken me a moment to grasp this ... I understand life and death are part of the same magnificent cycle. But...

.. I literally stopped and broke down When I received 'that' text. Mike's music lives in my DNA. It's bigger than tabloids...

..that music shaped me. The freaquency is real My heart and artistry are truly influenced and forever impacted....

Thank you michael for your hard work, dedication, philanthropy, & the sacrifice of your young spirit. Your vision and imagination live thru us.

I don't know what to say.

When I hear his music it takes me back to a time, place, smell, event...

Even Say Say Say

Ooh lord ebony and ivory..

'I can't help it '...From off the wall.

Lady in my life ... umph

What a feeling ... What feeling ... What a feeling!!!

Annie are you ok"

Back