Epiphany on Michael's singing

mjroxworld

Proud Member
Since I have been working a lot on my singing again lately, I have come to realize that not only has my voice changed a little, it has also gotten better. Today, I tested out what my current voice range is, including at what point I start into my head voice (you singers out there know what I'm talking about). Afterward, I started listening to some of Michael's music; I put in HIStory disc 1, which of course has songs from many albums, and shows evidence of his own voice maturing. I've known for a while now that one reason I like singing to Michael's music is because he is one of an extremely few (like, 2 or 3, with Michael being the closest match) singers whose pitch I can match. Most guys go too low; most girls go too chesty (for me). Well as I was listening today, I realized that his typical singing voice, with a clear tone, before going into head voice or screaming voice, is the exact same as mine. And the point where his head voice and his screaming voice starts is also the same as mine. Depending on the song, he will often go into a rough, scream type of voice once he reaches a certain note, or a pretty, clear, head voice tone at the exact same note. So it is now I understand exactly WHY I am able to sing Michael's songs with ease - because our pitches, normal singing voices, and head voices match.

Now, my vocal range isn't nearly as extensive as Michael's; he can go to some bass notes and hit them pretty well, but they are not part of the range he NORMALLY uses. Michael has the ability to use about 4 octaves with his voice; I have the ability for about 2. But we NORMALLY USE about the same. Also he's a lot more practiced up than I am; although the both of us have been singing our entire lives, he has a lot better vocal teachers than I have had, and I've also heard he does 2 hours of scales almost every day, or when he's recording, or something like that. 2 hours of scales would make me hoarse...but I know I need to get practiced up, myself, if I am going to extend my range and get better at singing through the breaks in my vocal range, and get to really recording my music. I've already made a few song tracks, I just need to add my vocals. It's all my own stuff, no copy-catting anyone. It's just been so long since I've done that kind of practice, and I want to get my voice up to par and sounding better before I record it.

ANyway, it was just an epiphany, for me personally, as to why it is so easy for me to sing to Michael's music. :) I don't expect a lot of people to understand, but I just had to share it.

That's some interesting stuff mjroxworld. I understand what you're saying. It's actually good too that you layed this out because some people think Michael can't sing high without screaming, which isn't true at all. Like you said, he does that on purpose as a technique for emoting. But he can sing the same notes in a high, clear head voice. Duh, right?! lol. Michael's a master at transitioning between chest, head and falsetto. It's undetectable with him, when he mixes the two, it's so smooth and perfect. But that's interesting that you sing within the same range. Michael's usual range he sings in is high tenor, and like you pointed out, most singers won't sing beyond a range of 2 octaves, even if they're capable, simply because most songs won't be written for anything that high or low. Though sometimes there are exceptions. Michael works with Seth Riggs whenever he's in the process of recording an album and he'll sing the songs he's chosen for the album to Seth to get everything down correctly, from what I've heard.

Anyway, that's cool about your music. Good luck, I hope you find much success.

That's some interesting stuff mjroxworld. I understand what you're saying. It's actually good too that you layed this out because some people think Michael can't sing high without screaming, which isn't true at all. Like you said, he does that on purpose as a technique for emoting. But he can sing the same notes in a high, clear head voice. Duh, right?! lol. Michael's a master at transitioning between chest, head and falsetto. It's undetectable with him, when he mixes the two, it's so smooth and perfect. But that's interesting that you sing within the same range. Michael's usual range he sings in is high tenor, and like you pointed out, most singers won't sing beyond a range of 2 octaves, even if they're capable, simply because most songs won't be written for anything that high or low. Though sometimes there are exceptions. Michael works with Seth Riggs whenever he's in the process of recording an album and he'll sing the songs he's chosen for the album to Seth to get everything down correctly, from what I've heard.

Anyway, that's cool about your music. Good luck, I hope you find much success.

Thank you. And according to Seth, Michael doesn't even use falsetto. All those really high notes are part of his learned range; Seth taught him Speech Level Singing a long time ago and to go all the way up there WITHOUT using falsetto, because falsetto is an immature technique, and Seth doesn't like it. And since Michael is a voice master with a naturally high voice anyway, falsetto is something he doesn't have to do. And you're right; Michael's transitions from chest to head (or scream) are virtually undectable. So smooth. Seth is one awesome coach. The breaks in my own voice are downright notorious, but at least they aren't smack in the middle of my range anymore; now they are at the very bottom and the very top. So in that I have gotten better at my own transitions. :)

Anyway, it was just really good for me to realize all these things. My goal right now is to be able to sing 2 and a half octaves; that's quite a stretch cause I am a soprano. But I want to be able to hit some of the lower notes, and a few more of the higher notes that are above the staff (when I was younger, and practicing everyday, of course I was able to go a lot higher than I can now). So me just getting a few more notes in my range is going to take a LOT of work. But I am LOVING singing along with Michael's own pitches. And I am LOVING recording my music and trying out different sounds and stuff. Thanks for your encouragement, too. I am really excited about this.

Yeah, Michael can sing extremely high before breaking off in to falsetto. Up in to Soprano range, well beyond High C. And of course, down to about basso low C, I think. So he could sing parts for bass, baritone, tenor, or countertenor (sopranist), though as you pointed out, his most comfortable range is tenor and that's the range he always sings in most usually. Like you said, his voice started out high and he's just been able to expand his range on both ends. His natural range spans 4 octaves, which is outrageous. A lot of people don't count falsetto, it's true. A general consensus is that if you use it often, then it can be counted as part of your range though.

I'm sure if you just keep working at it, you'll definitely be able to expand your range to your desired goal and to improve your transitions. It's really hard. I'm not a singer, but I research about the voice a lot, and it takes incredible control to transition smoothly and without detection. Like Seth says, singing should be as fluid and natural as talking, so that when you're going from chest to head, there's no breaks or apparent switch in the registers. It should all blend together seemlessly and smoothly, like one voice. Kind of like how Michael connects his steps as a dancer. All seemlessly and smoothly, like it's one fluid motion, even though it's all connected through minuet adjustments, so subtle you can't even see it.

im apparently a 3 to 4 octave range but my voice brak in the centre was awful, disappeared almost now but it does sneak in occasionally.

Back