Emotion in MJ's singing

analogue

Proud Member
I've seen alot of artists who are fantastic vocalists but evan though their fantastic vocalists there just seems to be no emotion in their voice. They belt out a tune but there's just no feeling in their voice, but with MJ he's got a fantastic singing voice and he got the right feeling and emotion to go with it. If it's a sad song he sings it sad (E.G She's Out Of My Life), if it's a happy song he sings it happy (E.G Blame It On The Boogie) and it it's an agry song he sings it angry (E.G They Don't Care About Us)

and i do think that this is what sets MJ apart from alot of other singers. His emotional drive that carries the song, and MJ did say himself ''I don't sing it unless i mean it''

I think you're so right. Michael truly puts his entire soul into his music. The emotion is so strong and beautiful. That's what made him a success.:wub:

Who Is It stands out to me when it comes to emotion really.

Music is his passion, so he puts everything into it.

Michael is an emotional genius, and that genius has shown itself from the time he was a little kid all the way to now. He's able to actually make the emotion almost visual and in his voice, everything which the lyrics say literaly, you can feel. Like is "Childhood", for example, at certain points in the song the lyrics convey a sense of deflation and defeat, and you can hear those emotions in Michael's voice. But when the song is conveying the opposite, a sense of hope, you can hear Michael's voice soar and there's the sound of total wonderment there. Or in "Gone Too Soon", just the beauty of Michael's voice and the way he controls it, it totally just almost devestates you, because it's so poignent and sad sounding. I don't know man, there's no better vocalist then Michael. His ability to emote isn't something you can ever learn. You just have to be born with it. On songs which convey joy, he sounds as happy and excited as a child who has just recieved a surprise gift. On songs which convery sadness, you actually can feel the pain in his voice, and you understand while listening what that pain is. When a song conveys anger, Michael's voice becomes so cutting and short that it sounds like he's almost spitting his words, as though he's having a hard time expelling them because he is, begrudgingly, trying to control himself from exploiding in to a total rage, like he's on the edge of screaming at the top of his lungs, but he's not, he's singing. Or if he's conveying fear or confusion, his voice can become breathy and fragile, you can hear the paranoia and uncertainty. It's incredible. He's the best.

Jill Scott once said Michael gets inside of his lyrics and thats absolutely true! You don't even have to actually see him singing the song to see the emotion in it. its all in his voice for instance THATS WHAT YOU GER FOR BEING POLITE.. "don't you know he often cries about you.. he cries about me.. he cries about you and me.. and every little thing that's in his way"
Quincy also once said: "If you don't believe what you're singing about, how the hell do you expect everyone else to believe it.?"

Last edited:
^^^oh yeah...I was just listening to "That's what you get (for being polite)" earlier, and I was thinking, 'man, he really sounds sad'! So I decided to go listen to 'shake your body' to see if he sounded any different and he sounded so happy! It's amazing! Michael is a genius!

^^^oh yeah...I was just listening to "That's what you get (for being polite)" earlier, and I was thinking, 'man, he really sounds sad'! So I decided to go listen to 'shake your body' to see if he sounded any different and he sounded so happy! It's amazing! Michael is a genius!

lol i did the EXACT same thing

Michael is an emotional genius, and that genius has shown itself from the time he was a little kid all the way to now. He's able to actually make the emotion almost visual and in his voice, everything which the lyrics say literaly, you can feel. Like is "Childhood", for example, at certain points in the song the lyrics convey a sense of deflation and defeat, and you can hear those emotions in Michael's voice. But when the song is conveying the opposite, a sense of hope, you can hear Michael's voice soar and there's the sound of total wonderment there. Or in "Gone Too Soon", just the beauty of Michael's voice and the way he controls it, it totally just almost devestates you, because it's so poignent and sad sounding. I don't know man, there's no better vocalist then Michael. His ability to emote isn't something you can ever learn. You just have to be born with it. On songs which convey joy, he sounds as happy and excited as a child who has just recieved a surprise gift. On songs which convery sadness, you actually can feel the pain in his voice, and you understand while listening what that pain is. When a song conveys anger, Michael's voice becomes so cutting and short that it sounds like he's almost spitting his words, as though he's having a hard time expelling them because he is, begrudgingly, trying to control himself from exploiding in to a total rage, like he's on the edge of screaming at the top of his lungs, but he's not, he's singing. Or if he's conveying fear or confusion, his voice can become breathy and fragile, you can hear the paranoia and uncertainty. It's incredible. He's the best.

I agree
Well said:clapping:
Sometimes listening to his singin voice feels like looking at him singing just in front of me.

Back