Earth Song: The analysis

Stranger

Proud Member
I first remember hearing this song 10 years ago when I was 13. I wanted to share my thoughts with you. Please add your own interpetations!!​
:)

Earth Song is one of Michael’s most unusual compositions. Even the title itself is striking. Most other songs tend to adopt one of their lines as a title, particularly making use of the chorus. However, Earth song fails to do so. The use of the word “song” also makes it stand apart. Perhaps, this was Michael’s way of telling us that this is a “song” like no other, or that it is more important. Maybe, it’s a song that belongs to “Earth”. Could the Earth have been responsible for its conception? Maybe, this is a real song. (Interpret that as you wish).

Regardless, it speaks to the pain of the Earth.

The piano intro is fragile, yet beautiful (rather like the writer himself). The melody is simple, deceptively so, and easily hummed. It has its moment and then the vocals begin. Strong and pure, it cuts through the emotion and rhetorically questions us.

“What about sunrise?”

“What about rain?”

The contrasting images run the entire gamut of “Earthly” moods. Earth “smiles” during a sunrise and “cries” during a downpour. Yet, Michael does not suggest one should exist without the other. He questions their survival equally.

“What about all the things that you said was yours and mine?”

Notice how he subtly links nature with humanity. Who is he talking to? Who is it that promised him all of these things? Was it Earth itself? Or a “mere” human?

Voice quivering with emotion, he asks us if we “ever stopped to notice, this crying Earth, its weeping shores?”

Again, he successfully personifies the Earth. It is striking that he chooses to describe it as “weeping”, as if it is capable of its very own emotions.

The transition to the “Ahhh” and “Ohhh” is one of the most powerful moments in the piece. Suddenly, it is no longer about a man singing about the pains of the Earth, it is the Earth itself singing. Michael’s voice is pure and stunning as he produces sounds that cannot be linked to human speech. They are just sounds. Yet the sounds seem awfully familiar. Haven’t we heard them countless times before? Are they not the sounds we make when we are hurt? Granted, they tend to be louder and uncontrolled as we scream in agony, but underneath they are the same. The tone has just been softened. The pain, however, is more defined. Hauntingly so.

The vocals are filled with such sorrow, yet they sound beautiful. The second note as he goes high is poignant and gorgeous. It takes over the entire space. The quiet atmosphere has changed entirely.

The Earth is crying and weeping. “Ahhhh“ ”Ohhhhh...”. Didn’t we ever stop to notice?

The singer has now become the song.

Earth’s song.

The mood returns to how it was before the Earth made itself heard. This time, desperation creeps into the voice.

“What about all the dreams that you said were yours and mine?”

Why have the “things” become “dreams?” Is hope dangerously low?

Michael then allows humans to have their say too. “Children” are dead from war and what about “the peace that you pledge your only son?” Notice how the sun from the “sunrise” has merged with the “son” we bore. It is not only the Earth suffering, it is the residents too.

It is interesting that throughout the first 2 verses, he talks to us “you”. But he switched to “we” when he asks us to “look what we’ve done”. It is us, after all, that have collectively caused the pain.

The song picks up tempo quickly and the instrumentation gives more urgency and power to the “ahhs” and “ohhs”. The chord changes build up the intensity.

Hope seems to have vanished as he tells us he used to dream, but now he doesn’t “know where we are”. We have “drifted far apart” as our goals have changed.

The gut wrenching chorus is one of the most powerful segments of music I have ever heard. Gone is the quiet, pure Michael (and piano) and in comes the angry, agonising vocals. He is screaming the words out, yet they don’t seem so loud. He is not screaming in loudness, but screaming with real despair and depth. It is coming from a different place. A deeper place. Perhaps, we are glimpsing the man’s very soul .

The constant repetition of “What about us?” after Michael sings a line feels somewhat like a battle. It seems like a competition. The others keep on drawing attention to themselves as they ask us to think of them, yet Michael draws attention to the plight of the Earth, of its innocent animals and children. They’re all begging for help, but it seems impossible that anyone can take care of everyone

Maybe he is saying that in order to help ourselves, we need to help others first? Or perhaps it is more intriguing and he is stating that it is not possible just to help others. Perhaps we need to think about ourselves in order to help them. Maybe by seeing the others and Earth as ourselves is the only solution. We need to see the problems within ourselves. They cannot be two separate things. This is further explored in the poem “That one in the mirror”.

Finally, after the brutal truth of “Do we give a damn?” the song returns to its chorus, yet it is no longer pure and innocent. It seems etched in human cruelty. The voices sound different. They sound human finally. The Earth is silent.

Wow.
this is a very special song indeed!
great words.

This is beautifuly written. This song gives me the chills every single time I listen to it..( few times a day, every day ).
"Earth song " should be an anthom. And people should listen to it every day. And think about it!!!!!!!

I really like your interpretation of the song. I see it as another anthem almost, kinda like "We Are the World" and "Heal the World," which were songs not just meant to entertain but to bring awareness and educate people. Michael truly sees the planet as a living, breathing thing. I also notice this in his "Planet Earth" poem, where it seems he's describing the earth as though it's a person. He was so in tune with nature and the world, and sensitive to it, that what hurt the earth really hurt him. You can hear the anguish in his voice when he speaks about it in TII. He meant this song and others like it to get people's attention. It's very powerful. :angel:

I have to go and listen to it now and then I have to read dancing the dream about the elephants.

I agree it should be an anthem, yet its so different to We are the world and heal the world, which everyone can sing together..this is MUSICALLY different. And Mist, dancing the dream has a lot of poems about nature and the Earth. It goes hand in hand. Didnt Michael write them all at the same time (early 90s)?

Wow Stranger, wonderful, in depth analysis there. :clapping:

The singer has now become the song.

Isn't that the truth? That is true with most Michael songs, but on Earth Song this becomes even more so.

Maybe he is saying that in order to help ourselves, we need to help others first? Or perhaps it is more intriguing and he is stating that it is not possible just to help others. Perhaps we need to think about ourselves in order to help them. Maybe by seeing the others and Earth as*ourselves*is the only solution. We need to see the problems within ourselves. They cannot be two separate things. This is further explored in the poem “That one in the mirror”.

I think you are right. Complex interdependence is not simply a concept, but a reality. The sooner we understand our daily decisions affect the life of people miles away, the better it is. The sooner we come to realize that we cannot change anything about the outter world until our inner self is at peace is equally important.

Finally, after the brutal truth of “Do we give a damn?” the song returns to its chorus, yet it is no longer pure and innocent. It seems etched in human cruelty. The voices sound different. They sound human finally. The Earth is silent.

But you gotta remember that all that silence sets in after man's genocide had been rectified, after plants, animals and humans come back to life in a peaceful co-existence. That is what makes the video such a powerful instrument. It expresses beautifully the lyrics and the melody carrying the message home and ending on a hopeful note about what we could do if only we took the time to care and act. And to illustrate all of that, here goes the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Hcd60VoRM

Ever since the first time I saw it, Earth Song has been my favorite music video of all time. The one thing that haunted me about it (and still does to this day) was the timing – having been launched two years after 1993 and as it turns out having been created a few years prior to that actually – how could people mistreat such a wonderful soul who came up with such a masterpiece of a song full of love and purity and selfless giving.

Earth song and Planet earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeR1suwpCsQ have been written around the same period and both of them demonstrate how much Michael cared about the world and people. That is what made him so beautiful. The man genuinely cared, deep down inside he had that wonderful seed of love for all of God's creation that only grew with time. Something tells me the man didn't really hear often enough in his lifetime the phrase "THANK YOU MICHAEL, thank you for caring so much about the world and the future". God bless him for his loving heart.

The video for Planet Earth actually includes some of my favorite ever pictures of Michael – the one where he is in a lotus position and he feeds the baby deer, the one with the stretched out arms feeling the breeze and freedom up on that mountain top, the one in the snow or the one on horseback enjoying the wind of the forrest. I also discovered a few pictures I hadn't seen before. Hopefully you will all enjoy it and don't think I took the thread too much into o/t turf.

Thank you shabuya for your comments! Yes the music video does add another dimension to the song..and at the end evrything has reversed. But its some otherworldy force or God that rescues everything. And its not Michael that does it...as he is just as helpless as the other people in the video.

I think this was Mj's message about the biblical prophecy of God taking back the planet from humans and turning it into a "haven of joy"

Yes the timing in terms of the 1993 allegations struck me as well...

i was just listening to this song while driving today. i put it on repeat. Its one of my fav MJ songs. growing up i didnt know much English, but this song was very near and dear to my heart because it spoke to my heart and i understood it very easily. Thanks MJ :heart:

that mini intro before the famous piano line comes in. OMG. I don't like to use the word, but i will, that is the most Godlike section ive ever heard music history. The way it surges and swells, and it's so exotic and it's just wow.

that mini intro before the famous piano line comes in. OMG. I don't like to use the word, but i will, that is the most Godlike section ive ever heard music history. The way it surges and swells, and it's so exotic and it's just wow.

YES! I completely agree with you....it's very spiritual and literally takes my breath away..

I actually saw the vid tonight, hadn't done it in a bit of time and it made me cry. We really are making a mess out of this world we were merely entrusted with. Lord help us from ourselves and our doing.

Back