Earth hour 23/3 20, 30

MIST

Proud Member
Earth Hour is the single, largest, symbolic mass participation event in the world. Born out of a hope that we could mobilize people to take action on climate change, Earth Hour now inspires a global community of millions of people in 7,001 cities and towns across 152 countries and territories to switch lights off for an hour as a massive show of concern for the environment.

Founded in Sweden to celebrate Earth Hour 2011, the Earth Hour City Challenge initiative was created to celebrate cities that are taking innovation actions towards creating a greener, cleaner and more sustainable city to live in, while inspiring other cities to do the same.

With more than 70% of the world’s CO2 emissions generated by cities, the Earth Hour City Challenge has been created to mobilize action and support from cities in the global transition towards a climate friendly one-planet future.

The challenge invites cities to submit inspiring and credible urban development plans that dramatically increase the city’s use of renewable energy. The plans and relevant data are submitted via an internationally recognized carbon reporting platform for cities, managed by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability. Outreach and support to cities will be provided in collaboration with ICLEI and the final plans and data reviewed by an international jury. .

The jury will review development plans for building, transport, energy and food systems – solutions that will make a city greener and cleaner and improve living standards for residents., Cities from Canada, India, Italy, Norway, Sweden and the United States have been invited to participate in this first international pilot. The Earth Hour Capital, as well as six national capitals will be announced in March 2013.

The international jury will be looking for cities that have already recognised the climate challenge and started to measure and report their emissions. Awarded cities will also be busy launching innovative, participation based and ambitious initiatives, taking the city closer to a 100% renewable and sustainable economy. Or advancing the low carbon agenda, with pace and a clear strategic connection between actions and targets. In order to level the playing field, the panel will take into account differences in resources and starting points; the Earth Hour City Challenge is not about having the most hi-tech plans, but about commitment and innovative thinking focusing on solutions that promote attractive, one-planet lifestyles

A total of 66 cities from participating pilot countries accepted WWFs challenge and submitted their plans for low carbon development and strategies for dramatically increasing the renewable energy use

This year 2013 Vancouver is the the global earth hour capital
Here you can read why
http://wwf.panda.org/?207945/Vancouver-crowned-Earth-Hour-Capital-2013
Vancouver is also the people´s choice winner.

My closest town Uppsala was one of the six finalists. I think that´s great .
But I´m not sure what we have done here

Re: Earh hour 23/3 20,30

I'm gonna have my lights off in my house, but the TV and the VCR is still gonna stay on because I have the Bruins vs Maple Leafs on Hockey Night In Canada to watch and record.

Back