DYKWYCA....Song story and versions?

RIP_2009

Proud Member
"Do You Know Where Your Children Are"

From what I`ve heard the song title is taken from a 60s show or ad.....or something.
We now have 3 versions of this.....IMO...best MJ song in many years.
I must admit that I was very dissapointed when the leaked mix was not on XScape release at all.
(hoping for better audio quality)
I`m a little confused regarding the guitar on this leaked version from around 2010.
Some says its Slash while most(?) others says its Steve Lukather?
I have no clue as I dont know any of the guitar players very well.....only that Slash was part of G&R for many years and now is a member of another band I dont even remember the name of.........
It could be Slash as he worked with MJ on the Dangerous album and this song is a Dangerous outtake?
Maybe there are more unreleased versions featuring Slash/Steve on guitar?

vhttp://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/132378-quot-It-s-10-pm-Do-you-know-where-your-children-are-quot

vhttp://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/132378-quot-It-s-10-pm-Do-you-know-where-your-children-are-quot

Thanks....althought posts in the link didnt say anything regarding who`s playing guitar on the old leaked version.
Or if Slash ever worked on this song.

As far as the title, there wa an ad when we were kids "its 10:00 do you know where your children are" it ran every night at ten before the news.

It is Steve Lukather on guitar; Slash had nothing to do with it. Steve recorded guitar layers and a solo performance in an LA studio on 27 September 2010. He confirmed this himself on his Facebook account that day.

This is an extract from a note Michael had on the song:

Song is about kids being raised in a broken family where the father comes home drunk and the mother is out prostituting and the kids run away from home and they become the victims of rape, prostitution and the hunter becomes the hunted. So they are out on the street. Do you know where your children are? It's twelve o'clock. They are somewhere out on the street. Just imagine how scared they are. It's about the runaway problem we have in America. They become the victims of prostitution, of selling their bodies.

In the 1960s to the 1980s, there was a television public service announcement that aired every night: "It's twelve o'clock... do you know where your children are?" It was aimed at parents to ensure their childrens' safety. (Often times, the number twelve was replaced by ten.)

It is Steve Lukather on guitar; Slash had nothing to do with it.

Thanks AlwaysThere

I wonder where I heard/read about Slash vs this song :/
Anyway I wish they had used the great leaked version with Steve on guitar instead of the poor
computer sound one :(
Not so sure MJ would have loved it.......I repeat the line "Michael loved guitars" that was written in the booklet for Xscape.

Very interesting.

This is a very dark song. I somehow feel that the masses won't understand it, but I'm glad that they included it on the new album.

Back