Dwele - Open Your Eyes [2008]

arXter

Proud Member
i love Dwele's music so much, the problem he has is that his best comes out in covers, even though his original music is still so fresh and respectable.

this one's from his most recent album, 'Sketches of a Man', with the best take on this Caldwell classic.

sm56ox.jpg

Open Your Eyes

i don't know whether it was Dwele's or Caldwell's idea but i like the way it changes harmoniously from a smooth ballad with subtle (rhodes?) instrumentation to a fast groovy beat. anyway, sounds cool, nice vocals too.

Dude! WTF? I was just about to make a Dwele thread. I think hes the shit! Love this cover as well, tis on the ipod, Sketches is a great album and was well worth the wait.

Thats my favourite song too! Have you heard the original by Eric (The Man) Roberson? I watched a performance of them sing it together but the quality was shit. I made a mix with both studio versions because I like it so much, though I do prefer Dwele's. I also like his version of Stevie Wonder's "Too High".

would love to hear your mix, Jabz and yeah Dwele outshines Erro in that, but then we go back to him primarily shining in covers as opposed to original material. and Down Jimmy is the best thing he's ever made (or renditioned, lol).

speaking of which, here's his take on Mike's WBSS, which pisses all over Akon even though it feels and sounds like a demo:

Startin' Somthin'

... the Rhodes, man.
f_loveblush.gif

and some Marvin Gaye improv/homage over at BBC 1Xtra:

MG Deviation 1

MG Deviation 2

his live album in Giles Peterson's studio is awesome too. it made me a proper fan.

Has some sound level issues which I haven't fixed yet. Would've been better if I could get hold of an instrumental or an acapella. I know there is one for the remix of Dwele's version feat kanye floating around somewhere but then I'd have to put his vocals over Roberson's track, where as I like the arrangement in Dwele's better, though I do like the more prominent shakers and high hats at the end, which aren't in Dwele's.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f919d31889aa2922ab1eab3e9fa335ca00f6b85503d07b1e

Last edited:
Ahh man I love Dwele he is one of the biggest proponents of the neo-soul movement. Sadly I don't own an album as yet. I love the song "Weekend" the horns arrangement in that track blows me away.

Has some sound level issues which I haven't fixed yet. Would've been better if I could get hold of an instrumental or an acapella. I know there is one for the remix of Dwele's version feat kanye floating around somewhere but then I'd have to put his vocals over Roberson's track, where as I like the arrangement in Dwele's better, though I do like the more prominent shakers and high hats at the end, which aren't in Dwele's.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f919d31889aa2922ab1eab3e9fa335ca00f6b85503d07b1e
thanks for uploading, it's a great idea and i can hear the differences because obviously the tracks were engineered differently but i have the Dwele instrumental and acapella if you want. and i don't know if there's an acapella of Erro's one. but damn their voices sound similar yet go really nicely together.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vanmzugwzzw

WOOOHOOOO! Thanks mate! I know, there voices are very similar, in some places i was like should i put Erro or Dwele. Gonna male a new version now. Thanks again!

Which one? lol

Theres "The Rize" (Self-released), " Subject" "Some Kinda..." and "Sketches of a Man" which is his latest and I think my favourite or maybe subject, tough choice. But they are all very good.

Back