DVD-Blu-ray records for 'This Is It'

babykinsilk05

Proud Member
Title sells $18 million in its first day in Japan

DVDs and Blu-ray discs of the Michael Jackson documentary "This Is It" racked up $18 million in sales on the title's first day of release in Japan -- a new record, according to the Oricon rating service.

DVDs accounted for $11.3 million and Blu-ray discs $6.7 million on Jan. 26. This smashes the previous DVD opening-day record of $6.2 million held by the Hayao Miyazaki toon "Ponyo," which was the bestselling DVD of 2009.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has announced that "This Is It" will not be available for rental on discs. But docu will be run on pay TV services.

The documentary earned $58 million in theatrical release in Japan -- about 25% of its worldwide box office take.

Source: Variety

Title sells $18 million in its first day in Japan

DVDs and Blu-ray discs of the Michael Jackson documentary "This Is It" racked up $18 million in sales on the title's first day of release in Japan -- a new record, according to the Oricon rating service.

DVDs accounted for $11.3 million and Blu-ray discs $6.7 million on Jan. 26. This smashes the previous DVD opening-day record of $6.2 million held by the Hayao Miyazaki toon "Ponyo," which was the bestselling DVD of 2009.

Sony Pictures Entertainment has announced that "This Is It" will not be available for rental on discs. But docu will be run on pay TV services.
The documentary earned $58 million in theatrical release in Japan -- about 25% of its worldwide box office take.

Source: Variety

That's kinda crazy. I'm assuming that's not the case here in the US?

Re: Japan, 18 million first day of release TII DVD

Dang, that gave me goosebumps. Michael is STILL breaking records.

I will love him always!

A quick calculation means he sold about half a million 'This Is It' DVD's on its 1st day of release just in Japan!!!

A quick calculation would mean that he sold about half a million DVD's on the 1st day of release, just in Japan!!!

it said 18 million. MJ is capable of going in the millions, and beyond, and did. that's why so many want a piece of it.

Last edited:

Way to go Michael. I am not surprised. You are the King. Now lets see the US and global figures.

Wow that is amazing wonder what world wide sales total wil be!

So... its possible that DVD and Blue-ray TII can reach to (over) 250 mil...., and ... what about the best selling live music DVD of all times...?

Japan has always loved MJ.:clapping:

Great! :clap:

18 million DVD's would be amazing but its $18 million dollars worth of DVD's not 18 million actual DVD's, which at a rough guess is about half a million units sold.

Although it would be the best thing ever, 250 million DVD's is just being ridiculous, even avatar won't sell that many, or any other film for that matter.

The signs are good though that it will sell great though all over the world.

it said 18 million. MJ is capable of going in the millions, and beyond, and did. that's why so many want a piece of it.

Japan DVD 8

1 (nw) - 587,829 - 587,829 - TII Deluxe Collectors Ed
2 (nw) - 181,615 - 181,615 - TII Collectors ED
17 (nw) - 8,201 - 8,201 - TII Memorial DVD Box

TOTAL THIS IS IT DVD SALES FIRST WEEK IN JAPAN = 777,645

its doesnt surprise me, i was in tokyo last week and there were sale displays for this is it EVERYWHERE and he was running on store TVs all the time. on my flight back to europe i was sitting next to a japanese couple and both watched "this is it" through the in-flight entertainment TV that everyone has in front of his seat for 2 times

315fvc5.jpg

25akdxz.jpg

fabwqv.jpg

Japan DVD 8

1 (nw) - 587,829 - 587,829 - TII Deluxe Collectors Ed
2 (nw) - 181,615 - 181,615 - TII Collectors ED
17 (nw) - 8,201 - 8,201 - TII Memorial DVD Box

TOTAL THIS IS IT DVD SALES FIRST WEEK IN JAPAN = 777,645

Is the Memorial Service on that version??

Back