Dubstep: Your thoughts?

IvoryKeys

Proud Member
I just found this...well...odd style of what reminds me of dance remixes and rave music in the 90's with an air turbine shoved into it. Correction: I found this a few months ago from my bro in college telling me about it.

And well...I was wanting to know your thoughts. Discussions? Do you think it will be the next "big" dance style of music we'll here all over the radio? I'm really interested in what you guys from other countries think of it, or have heard of it. I'm assuming it caught on faster there than in America. Like i said, I'm just catching on this new style of mixing. And now obviously Britney Spears' new single is putting it on the map as pop/dance perfection, and I believe it's really gonna take off now in alot of our mainstream music. I can see Rihanna coming out with a new single that has such a sound.

Here is something I found, albeit quickly, on youtube that sounds interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFu2DfPDGeU

Seriously tho, it sounds like a huge turbine, lol! I dig it tho....in a dance club that is.

love it. I'm not crazy about the mainstream stuff you named but I love dubstep since 2008. The best for me is Cardopusher. A Venezuelan electronica guru :lol:

[youtube]_h4jH8AHEG8&feature=related[/youtube]

Thanks Lucilla! And since '08!? Wow, I'm really late on this! So i'm guessing it caught on more, globally, than it did in America? Either that or I just completely missed the phenomenon.

I like that link you found.
:D It's ok, they say dubstep began in early 2000's
I like when you can notice the reggae roots in some of them. They say this sound came from reggae, but I'm not sure.

I do find something attractive in those heavy dubstep basslines however I prefer more subtle and minimalist sound of post-dubstep, that emerged more recently and is mixed with soul, jazz, hip-hop and/or ambient styles.

I've been addicted to James Blake's music lately, it has that deep hypnotic bass layer but there's also more space in his tracks and more subtleties that make his music simply beautiful (to my ears at least)
I can't get over his genius use of samples in this track:

another one I can't get enough of, not a dance track though

wow, who's this guy? this is really good stuff :yes:
I hear Aaliyah, that's nice.
but I can't see the second vid :mello:

^ yes, there's Aaliyah, and the other one "Damn" and "Look I found her red coat." comes from Kelis' song Cought Out There

He's a 22-year old DJ/producer from London, he's become popular in 2010 thanks to the track CMYK and now he's just released his debut album, but it's less upbeat than earlier stuff.

the first single:

That vid was there yesterday, lol, but I found another one:

I think he'll become big.

Back