Donna Summer "The Queen of Disco" dead at the age of 63

Ms.MJ Fan2007

Proud Member

Donna Summer dead at 63

Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images

Donna Summer in 1979.

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper

Disco legend Donna Summer died Thursday at age 63, reportedly after a battle with breast cancer.

TMZ was the first to report the singer's death, and the site reports that she was recording an album at the time of her death.

The Grammy-winning singer, nicknamed the Queen of Disco, had numerous hits in both the 1970s and 1980s, including "Last Dance," "She Works Hard for the Money" and "Bad Girls."

Summer was the first female artist to chart with back-to-back multi-platinum double albums.

She appeared in the 1978 film, "Thank God It's Friday," which won the best original song Oscar for "Last Dance." Summer also appeared on the 1990s hit TV show "Family Matters."

Summer won five Grammy Awards and six American Music Awards, and charted three multi-platinum albums.

She is survived by her husband, three daughters, and four grandchildren.

Source: http://todayentertainment.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/17/11745326-donna-summer-dead-at-63

2012 we've been losing so many people! :cry::(

'Last Dance' has been one of my favorite songs since I was a kid I freaking loved her! RIP :heart:

Donna's tribute to Mike the day of his memorial on July 7, 2009

RIP :love:

Michael+Jackson+Donna+Summer+Jackson+life+3ro0PZxX  Hgrl.jpg

Donna+Summer+JacksonslifeinpicturesauRI7pTS.jpg

this is a very sad day indeed...Donna Summer was a huge part of my youth....another talented human being has gone silent...RIP Donna. The Song on the Radio was one of my favorites...I had alll her albums...

I remember the last time I saw her on TV she was singing "Man In the Mirror" among others at the 2009 Peace Nobel Prize :angel:
Rest In Peace Disco Queen :heart:

I just want to scream and cry :( WTF! I didn't know she had cancer:no:, but I'm sure she must have put up a strong fight.

R.I.P Ms.Summer. Thank you for your beautiful talent, hard work and strength, and thank you for loving, respecting and honouring our King! Please squeeze him in a long, big, tight hug when you meet him and do tell him that he's the most loved one ever! Thank you...God bless you:angel:

RIP Donna, all the legends seem to be leaving us. I will keep her and her family in my prayers, she's with Michael and Whitney now...

Donna's been on my brain as of late and so it's very strange to hear she passed. I loved her last album, Crayons, in 2008. Really under-appreciated. I think I'll put it on in her honor. R.I.P. Donna.

So many icons leaving us as of late... :cry:

I'm really sorry to hear this. She gave us some unforgetable hits and I quite often bang them in my radio while driving my car!

Thank you Donna!

OMG I loved her - So many great hits .. I didnt even know she was sick - Im so sad to hear she passed :boohoo

Donna_Summer_1337269952_crop_550x457.jpg

Donna Summer SpeechTribute to Michael Jackson "Smile" (HD)

HOT STUFF Featuring Michael jackson
http://youtu.be/cTXjCAqTP2Q

[youtube]V-zqix-xaYk[/youtube]

Rest in Piece, Donna Summer. Thank you for all the magical moments you gave us.

Janet Tweets on the Passing of Donna Summer

We will miss Donna Summer! She changed the world of music with her beautiful voice and incredible talent.
1 hour ago

I was really shocked to hear about this one. Never even knew she had been so ill. I'm hearing that she faults 9/11/01 for her lung cancer. She must have lived downtown at the time. What an enormous loss. I just can't take another one of these.

Very shocking and sad news.

I've been a fan for years. Can't believe it.

Donna was a wonderful, extremely talented and classy woman. She will be greatly missed.

RIP Donna

RIP Donna :(

Here a beautiful song by her with Stevie Wonder, Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson and co in the background. Beautiful song produced by Quincy Jones:

[youtube]01gpp3WyeP0[/youtube]

:eek: She had breast cancer? awww no :(

My prayers & condolences go out to donna summer's family & friends

R.I.P DONNA SUMMER

R.I.P

Not one of her biggest fans and don't know a lot about her or her music, but from the things I've seen and heard, I get the impression that she wasn't afraid to be creative.
She was a gorgeous woman as well.

@ Ms.MJ Fan : The photo of her with MJ, I appreciate you having it on your siggy.
He was on the stage as a presenter and I noticed he made this gesture with his fist like, "Yeah, go Donna!" when her name was mentioned as one of the nominees. Yall saw that, right?

Like some of you said, we've been losing too many greats lately...
My heart goes out to everyone who grew up on these deceased icons.

Last edited:
she was legend. a big lost.
RIP

now 2 legends in a few days. :(
we lost so many legends the last years.

Back