does Today's hiphop music influence/ really affect sterotypes of kids/teenagers?

billyworld99

Proud Member
i was in a library and there was a magazine called teenvoice.com talking about soem negative affects mainstram music can have on kids and teenagers

Colorism in Music
By Ajané

I’m driving to work with my dad, listening to the radio, when the song Every Girl by Young Money comes on. We both start singing along. The very first words out of Li’l Wayne’s mouth are, “I like a long-haired, thick redbone.” When I first heard the song, I didn’t pay much attention to the meaning and I never thought of it as colorism. Hip hop and rap artists are always talking about light-skinned women versus dark-skinned women, and saying that lighter-skinned women are better looking. They always talk about how they would rather be with a light-skinned woman with long hair and pretty eyes rather than a dark-skinned woman. In the song Boyfriend, Girlfriend by C-Side and Keyshia Cole, they say “love a...redbone with long hair.” Another song, She Got It by 2 Pistols, includes the line, “five foot five, hazel eyes, redbone.” I could go on for days with a list of songs that talk about “redbones” and “yellow-bones” with long hair and pretty eyes. Because hip hop and rap music is so popular, the things that are being said have a major influence on people and what they consider beautiful.

Even if an artist isn’t saying it, the music videos speak for themselves. How many times have you seen a dark-skinned woman as the main girl in a video? On her blog http://hellomissjean.blogspot.com, Claudia Jean, who has cast women for music videos, says, “It’s hard looking beautiful brown girls in the face knowing that the director gave me specific instructions not to cast any of ‘them.’ I even recall going to an R&B/hip-hop conference where the complexion subject was brought up, and the video director on the panel, who was darker than Akon, stated how dark skin models ‘are not dimes’ and the artists do not want them in their videos.” Most times, when a dark-skinned woman is in a video, she is not the main girl. The videos for Best I Ever Had by Drake, Rockin’ That Thing by The Dream, and Suffocate by J Holiday all feature mostly light-skinned women. Sherri Furtado, age 17, tells Teen Voices that she thinks of “Where's Waldo?” when she watches videos and tries to find a darker-skinned woman.

The problem isn’t just the lyrics and the music videos. The problem is that young women listen to the music and watch these videos, and internalize what they see. They try to portray the images that these rappers are creating. These women are trying to fit the rappers’ and the media’s standard of beauty. Young women should be able to feel beautiful no matter what their skin tone, but hip hop and rap artists make it difficult when they deliver the message that only light-skinned women are beautiful.

Did You Know?

•In 2005, a study led by Dr. Brian Primack from the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Medicine found that of Billboard’s 279 popular songs, 77 percent of the 62 rap songs portrayed substance abuse, usually with lyrics about peer pressure, wealth, and sex.
•A 2003 study published in the American Journal of Public Health showed watching many rap music videos increased a woman’s risk of using alcohol and drugs.
•Music videos often depict sexual activities, showing women as sex objects.

Why do we need girls to strip off their clothes and dance provocatively for a music video? If the song is good, won't it sell without all the jiggling going on behind the rapper? Or have we all become so conditioned to the idea that “sex sells” that we don’t notice it? Sex doesn't have to sell; if everyone stopped buying CDs and going to the concerts of artists who encourage the objectification of women, the practice would soon stop. Why should you, as a girl, listen to music that objectifies women? There's nothing wrong with nudity -- but the nudity of one gender being used to sell something can be wrong. Have we all become so delusional that a naked man showing off on a CD cover would make us buy it? Probably not, yet we see nothing wrong with a naked woman doing the same, and we promote it by purchasing the CD she’s on.

Women are influenced negatively by music videos. Music videos have created a mindset as to what women should do and look like. Music videos influence women to be sexy and have no sense of self-respect. Music videos make it seem like all women are good for is showing off their bodies. Women are not just sexual objects, they have feelings too. In videos women are just dancing and grinding. I hate how women are portrayed in music videos. They should be treated with some respect, but since women aren’t speaking up, they continue to be degraded in music videos.

The video for Nelly’s song Tip Drill shows him swiping his credit card in a women’s butt. This is so disrespectful. In the video to Akon’s I Want to Love You, women are shaking, grinding, and dancing on the floor as if they are having orgasms.

Women in music videos have no respect or self pride at all. They get pride from comments like, “You looked so fly in that video,” or “Your makeup was on point.” I get so mad and aggravated when I see women with potential degrade themselves so much. A women’s body shouldn’t be treated like a trophy prize. It should be treated with respect. Remember, it’s more important for women to be smart than prettyLil’ Kim and Lil Wayne are both rappers whose music videos have a huge impact on teens, but their videos portray women and men differently. Both Lil’ Kim and Lil Wayne’s videos show women wearing sexy clothing, but while Lil’ Kim’s video includes a group of muscular men in jail wearing orange uniform pants with no shirt, Lil Wayne is on top of the world showing off his millions of dollars worth of jewelry and wearing a black suit. Lil’ Kim portrays both men and women sexually, but Lil Wayne has professional men in his videos, giving men power.

Last edited:
Mainstream hip hop is a complete joke with people like Lil Wayne fronting the line because of his sales and how popular he is. Personally I think there is only one person in mainstream hip hop that puts positive music and that Kanye. Jay Z fell off and so has Lupe. Teenagers idolize(sp) these artists. And theres artists or even a label such as Young/Cash Money Records that as a whole contribute to the decay of the minds of young people. Constantly degrading women.

I hate to say it but if there is one person that represents hip hop in 2010, its Lil Wayne. I hate him with a passion. It can be said that he is a big part of why contemorary hip hop and rap gets questions up against it like this.

EVEN as Ive written this, if you dont know, find out where Lil Wayne is right this minute. I believe whatever music we listen to represents how we are as people. And if theres constant BS music being put out which is being constantly listened to by the masses then yeah is going to effect stereotypes on the youth.

(Turn off the radio.)

alost the majority of the teens at my school sells illegal drugs, use them, disrespects our elders (teachers, principles, even their parents) seriousing cussing them out b/c they don't like to be told what to do and always fight, i mean they have no respect for others and or themselves one time our match who in his 70's caught a heart attack last year because of thweir rowdy behaviour and one hting they all have in common is they love to imitate the artists who are "hot" right now lots of the guys and girls have tatoos all over their bodies, with silver/gold teeth some are only in the 9th grade, their music reflects their personaity b/c what i hear its very explicit and sexual langauge and the sad thing is that teachers can't even control their behaviours

lil wayne, and oung money, 50 cent and whoever is their idols they talk about everyday

I'm not sure how women being seen as sex objects has to do with hip hop videos in itself. It's always been there, look at old actresses like Brigitte Bardot or Rita Hayworth. James Dean and Marlon Brando were famous in the 50s for playing outlaw rebels. The light/dark skin thing is nothing new or exclusive to rap videos either. As far as music acts go, decades ago Elvis Presley was considered to be corrupting the youth, in the 60s males who grew their hair long like the Beatles were beaten up by the police. In the 70s and 80s parents complained about metal acts like Iron Maiden, whose records were said to contained backwards messages telling people to commit suicide or worship the devil. Many old country songs were about getting drunk and getting into fights at the "honky tonk". Late 60s psychedelic groups sang songs about drugs. 1980s rock videos from bands like Van Halen, Motley Crue, & Whitesnake had barely dressed women dancing. So today's rap videos are not that much different from any other era.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how women being seen as sex objects has to do with hip hop videos in itself. It's always been there, look at old actresses like Brigitte Bardot or Rita Hayworth. James Dean and Marlon Brando were famous in the 50s for playing outlaw rebels. The light/dark skin thing is nothing new or exclusive to rap videos either. As far as music acts go, decades ago Elvis Presley was considered to be corrupting the youth, in the 60s males who grew their hair long like the Beatles were beaten up by the police. In the 70s and 80s parents complained about metal acts like Iron Maiden, whose records were said to contained backwards messages telling people to commit suicide or worship the devil. Many old country songs were about getting drunk and getting into fights at the "honky tonk". Late 60s psychedelic groups sang songs about drugs. 1980s rock videos from bands like Van Halen, Motley Crue, & Whitesnake had barely dressed women dancing. So today's rap videos are not that much different from any other era.

I agree with you on that, just really the same ole thing just in another genre.

Well I can agree with everyboday's point rite there! I mean 1/2 of the time I can listen to my old skool music. It depends on what music I listen to twice a day before or after.

Last edited:
Hip-Hop sucks donkey ballz hard now. I find myself laughing my ass off pretty much everytime I attempt to listen to what' hip-hop music' is playing nowadays. Completely pathetic.

It's a new era, and it's time to move the fuck on soon, seriously. :yawn:

As far as the generation is concerned, if the kids of today are really following the 'hip-hop trends' of today... then I am eternally grateful that I was a teenager in the 90s. Hip-Hop is hanging off a cliff by a very thin thread, and somebody needs to snip that thread FAST... because the genre's pretty much dead already.

Sorry to be so blunt, kiddos. I'm never one to hold my tongue, LOL.

It's no worse than rock, pop or metal music. Music doesn't cause violence. It's just entertainment.

It's no worse than rock, pop or metal music. Music doesn't cause violence. It's just entertainment.
Music is an influence in some cases. Some stores and restaurants play Muzak to keep teens from hanging around, lol. Also, fights are more likely to break out at a punk rock, death metal, or gangsta rap concert than at a Sandi Patty show or an opera performance. But people who commit violence were going to do that anyway, it wasn't the music in itself that caused it.

I dunno... maybe in time, I'll look back at this decade of hip-hop and think that it wasn't so bad. I know I still enjoyed listening to it up till about '07--then the recession hit, and hip-hop seemed to go down with the economy. :scratch: HHHhhmmmmm... Anybody else notice this, too, or feel this way?

Last edited:
I dunno... maybe in time, I'll look back at this decade of hip-hop and think that it wasn't so bad. I know I still enjoyed listening to it up till about '07--then the recession hit, and hip-hop seemed to go down with the economy. :scratch: HHHhhmmmmm... Anybody else notice this, too, or feel this way?

yeah it was stated that the music industry are losing a lot of money because of lower album sales from artists

yeah it was stated that the music industry are losing a lot of money because of lower album sales from artists
Sales are down because before the late 1990s, people had to actually buy a product. Now, people just download songs for free. Also in the ancient days, there was no competition. No computers, video games, DVD, cable, etc. So records were mainly what people bought for entertainment.

naw it's always been that way. black folks still are stuck because of our racism here and the plantation mentality which still has the house versus the field hand. light versus dark.

the music industry is racist,sexist,etc.. and they play on stereotypes and will spend money on bucking and cooning behavior and in truth it ain't lil wayne's fault becausehe is just another political tool.

whatever these labels say do these acts will do.

nothing new under the sun.

whatever these labels say do these acts will do.
This is true in most cases. The performer is really just an employee of the label, so the boss has the last say. Many people think the artist has control over their product, but they don't.

I've listened to rap/ hip-hop virtually all my life. From about age of ten through my early teenage years I grew up in the golden era of rap & hip-hop with "gangsta rap" (I hate that term btw!) and I've never spoken disrespectfully of a female, never been violent towards anyone or any ish like that.

I've listened to rap/ hip-hop virtually all my life. From about age of ten through my early teenage years I grew up in the golden era of rap & hip-hop with "gangsta rap" (I hate that term btw!) and I've never spoken disrespectfully of a female, never been violent towards anyone or any ish like that.

Great post, thrillerchild! I grew up during "The Golden Years" of Rap/Hip-Hop as well, and I agree wholeheartedly. :clapping:

Back